Who carries an extra mask with them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spare mask in a thigh pocket on most dives. I might not carry it on shallow shore dives or in shallow OW springs, but I often do anyway.

Left thigh pocket with double end clip attached to bungie loop in the pocket for all dives.

In 45+ years I've only had one mask break. I happened to be filming a subject I rarely saw so I just held the mask against my face with my housing and kept on going. Given the low frequency of such an event (at least in my experience), I don't carry a spare mask with me, but have one in my save-a-dive kit.

I also place the mask strap under my hood, so if the strap does break, the mask will most likely not fall into The Deep.

I always have a spare mask in my bag and have one in my pocket if I am doing a tec/deco dive. BTW, no need to have sagging pockets, there are many masks that fold really flat and don't take up much space. I have personally never had or seen a mask fail or get lost although I have 'lost' mine to an instructor on training dives many times - on one dive I 'lost' three masks (mine, my back-up and my buddy's back-up) and had to finish the dive with no mask.

Jackie

I always have a spare mask at the dive site but only carry it underwater with me when I dive with my full face mask.

Hoyden:
...I have 'lost' mine to an instructor on training dives many times - on one dive I 'lost' three masks (mine, my back-up and my buddy's back-up) and had to finish the dive with no mask.

Jackie

For a while in my cave class I wondered if I would ever get to finish a dive with a mask on.:D

Mark Vlahos

i had the rare occasion where my mask failed underwater. Thoughout a dive, i had to keep clearing my mask. I thought the problem was either i did not shave or my hood was getting in the way. Underwater, i ask my buddy if he sees a problem. He look and said no. I finished the dive with many purges of the mask. While on the surface inteval, i check the mask. At first look, it looked fine, then into a deeper look, it feel apart in my hands. I still do not carry a extra mask.

When i got to the boat, my buddy said, Oh i had a extra mask you could have switch too. Go figue...

I always carry a spare mask. I've got the pockets and they produces about the same amount of drag whether or not I have stuff in them or not, so why not bring the extra gear?

I had a mask break literally as I sat down on the boat after doing 30 minutes of deco, so I don't have any interest in having that happen underwater.

Back
Top Bottom