Who is concerned about OW diver training?

Please choose both your cert level AND your level of participation on ScubaBoard.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the purpose of this poll, I'd consider both of these to fall under the Advanced/experienced divers category.

So whatcha going to do about all those AOW divers that check that block? :popcorn:

If you look at the most recent train wreck, I did not participate until something like the 4,000th post or so. I had been reading it all along, swearing that I would not get involved this time. I even sent a PM to one of the frequent posters (who I thought was doing a good job) suggesting he consider joining the many of us who stay on the sidelines on these threads these days. Finally things reached a point that I had to step in.

From my point of view, there are a few people who have an astonishing fixation on the issue, and they have energy beyond my comprehension. I joined SB in 2004 and have read the same posts from the same people about a jillion times. I used to participate with some energy, especially trying to correct misconceptions. I then mostly gave up, and as the last thread illustrates, it now takes quite a bit to drag me in. In another recent thread I did not get involved until I got a PM asking me to contribute because of my educational background.

I think there are a lot of people in my shoes. We really, really don't want to fight these endless battles, and we are in absolute awe of the tenacity of the few who do. About the only thing that gets us back involved is the realization that new SB members who have not been reading these things since 2004 can be swayed by what is, in my estimation, damaging misinformation.

So whatcha going to do about all those AOW divers that check that block? :popcorn:

Now why would they have to be in a different block? I have several DM's that have no right right claiming they are Avanced/Experienced but I have seen many an AOW diver that was very skilled and experienced. DM/MD in no way indicates a more experienced or better diver than an OW or AOW diver. It may imply that they have taken more "classes or training dives" but even that can be questioned from person to person.

I used to participate with some energy, especially trying to correct misconceptions. I then mostly gave up, and as the last thread illustrates, it now takes quite a bit to drag me in.

Still got ya though. Couldn't help yourself...eh. :wink:

Same issue with all the other people. Can't stop the moths from the flames. :wink:

Nothing. Why would I need to do anything about them?

I read a lot of the stuff and participate. New divers or wannabe divers have some questions that they need answered so that they can make an important, to them, decision. When I started I asked a lot of questions which, I am sure, made a lot of the guys/gals who have hung around here, have a sore a$$. But some of the more intelligent ones answered the questions which helped me out a lot. You can tell by the "thanks" you have recieved how much of an impact you have made on some new divers. So far I have 153 while some of you can count ino the thousands. This is an indication of how useful your answers have been. I am totally a recreational diver and my views about diving reflect that. A lot of the techies and DIR's probably are a little too aloof to answer some of the questions which are asked over and over again so I figure that I am filling in for some of them. Whatever the case may be, I intend to read posts, answer questions and give opinions in the future.

Now why would they have to be in a different block? I have several DM's that have no right right claiming they are Avanced/Experienced but I have seen many an AOW diver that was very skilled and experienced. DM/MD in no way indicates a more experienced or better diver than an OW or AOW diver. It may imply that they have taken more "classes or training dives" but even that can be questioned from person to person.

Exactly! Realistically I could have thrown Tech into the advanced/experienced category as well. The reason I split this into a separate category is because that seems to be the point when a lot of people seem to realize their OW skills might have been a bit more lacking than they thought.

If you look at the most recent train wreck, I did not participate until something like the 4,000th post or so.

I, for one, am glad you are a sucker for a trainwreck! :D

Exactly! Realistically I could have thrown Tech into the advanced/experienced category as well. The reason I split this into a separate category is because that seems to be the point when a lot of people seem to realize their OW skills might have been a bit more lacking than they thought.

That's a phrasing I'm coming more and more to dislike.

My driving skills are entirely inadequate for driving on a race track, or baja, or for doing hill climbs, but they are not lacking at all for driving on my prosaic daily commute.

Adequacy is determined by application. Of course an non-cave diver's skills are inadequate for cave diving. If they weren't what would be the point of teh course?

You can tell by the "thanks" you have recieved how much of an impact you have made on some new divers. So far I have 153 while some of you can count ino the thousands. This is an indication of how useful your answers have been.

I am not sure you can generalize about the usefulness of the thanks count.

First of all, if want to get your thanks count up in a real hurry, post 10 different messages in 10 different forums in which you attack a certain agency or the state of dive education today. You will get roughly 5 thanks per post, pretty much all from the same 5 people. Keep that up for a while and your thanks count will get up in the thousands in no time.

Next, try to be as helpful as you can in the New Diver forum and see how many thanks you get. You 'll get some from time to time, but not nearly as many as you might expect. The people who are new to the forum often don't know about the thanks button and so don't use it, no matter how grateful they may be.

Back
Top Bottom