Why do people do this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a wreck in a nearby lake that some divers have written their names in the silt on the side of it.

Without a doubt, they dive for a totally different reason than I do.

Reminds me of a volcano we hiked in Indonesia once ... looking down in the caldera where the ash and lava had cooled, I noticed someone had walked down there and with a stick had written their name in the "sand". I asked Cheng's cousin (who lives nearby) who would do such a thing and he said people do it all the time. "Sometimes they don't come back", he said.

Even morons can't be that stupid ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This very well could be the result of poor training.
My instructor stressed the value of respect for life underwater.
There was a time when i did not realize coral was alive.
Then on the other hand, if a drivers license can be revoked for stupid acts of violence, why not C-cards.

Seems like they could certainly benefit from a "Depth Testing".
I will volunteer to be their "Buddy" for such a dive.
(At least for the first half.) :wink:

I've heard of people carving their initials into manatees...that was years ago, I hope we are bit more intelligent now

Maybe for the same reason people open doors on other folks cars, vandalize property, and all sorts of bad behavior. These types are inconsiderate, selfish, Jerks! :shakehead:

OTOH, folks write their names on the sides of the Blue Hole (NM) rock formations all the time, and at the plane wreck in Aurora Res. This is fortunate as I was unaware of EXACTLY how much Jesus Loves Me before reading such marvelous script! :rofl3: So original Too!

I don't have a big problem with that because silt/algae grows like a weed, and is not endangered. The behavior is not negatively impacting the environment even if I don't partake, or really enjoy seeing the chicken scratch below. I think the same would hold true for scratching silt/algae in most fresh water sites.

And they are such overt morons they actully leave their NAME!

I'd have given the photo to every dive op in the area so they could check their logs then turn the idiots over to authorities and/or publicly humiliate them where possible (hometown LDS??).

Sadly I assume this is the work of yet another one of our ugly Americans :(

Even more sad is you assume it was an American. :shakehead: There are plenty of jerks in the world and they all do not reside in the USA.

Even more sad is you assume it was an American. :shakehead: There are plenty of jerks in the world and they all do not reside in the USA.

Good point. "Sibang" ....I'm sure that word has a meaning in Filipino too, (Malay, Indonesian and Filipino have a lot of similarities)...but it sure isn't American....:D

Back
Top Bottom