Why do people do this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I've seen some of the Blue Hole, NM scribblings, I've never had the displeasure in seeing something scratched into coral. Whoever did this better hope I'm not on the same dive trip... I'm sitting here with my mouth open in disbelief that someone would do something like that....

It's because of morons like this the National and State underwater parks have adopted "no knife" rules and divers are being forced to go diving without a piece of safety equipment.

I was taught that a knife was part of my equipment, just like my regulator. I've had to cut myself out of abandoned fish line before, and really don't feel comfortable diving without one, but when I visit Cozumel I have to leave my knife at the hotel or on the boat if I'm in the park boundries.

It's the same for the "no glove" rule, becasue SOME people can't keep their hands off the reef, the rest of us have go without gloves for protection.

... there's always someone p##ing in the pool.

I've heard of people carving their initials into manatees...that was years ago, I hope we are bit more intelligent now

That is so sad....

they do it to make up for deficiencies in:
- brain power
- self esteem
- bodily parts

I hate it when people break, kill, dump trash, or otherwise DO HARM to personal property, natural environment, or living creatures, but I don't see what could possibly be wrong with writing your name in silt, on the algae growing on a rock, or fingering your initials on the clay in a cave wall. All these things will go away by the next time a diver comes along anyway.

I dive in Arkansas lakes all the time. If I'm with an OW class, I give them my knife to carve their initials into one of the tree stumps if they want to. Not everything needs to be protected like it's a coral reef.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom