Wireless EPG for possible technical use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, But I know what the statistics of 3000 of them when asked were.

Have you asked or seen that many techies?

Has anyone else done any surveys to quantify computer use amongst "tekkies", I certainly havn't seen it.

I'm fed up with seeing peoples opinions quoted as facts on these boards (especially when it comes to rebreathers) with no sustantiating data. In this case an opinion was expressed and I have REAL facts to disprove it

Personally Id love to see a huge survey done across several diving forums to quantify what diving is being done and with what kit, but even this would be a low sample rate. I was lucky with the Inspiration owners as we have our own forum which all users frequent so I pretty much got to a complete population and the samples I recieved wee 5 times the statistically needed sample set

Genesis.
An old buddy of mine had a Uwatec hoseless 'puter.
On three seperate occassions, his air readout went funky when the strobe on another buddy's camera went off.

I dont know why, and dont know if the Suunto does or other Uwatecs do it, but it was enough for him to start using a "backup SPG" and eventually move to a Suunto Vyper.

Dave

Actually, I'll be the first to admit that I don't have enough information to form a definitive opinion about rebreathers. The technology intrigues me, but not enough to spend the money (doubles were expensive enough). I am aware, however, that at least one very experienced diver in Quebec died using an Inspiration when he became unconscious six feet from the surface.

Please clarify whether the poll you reference sought information regarding the computers used by Inspiration divers or whether it sought information regarding whether Inspiration divers planned their deco on their computers. Your so-called facts may not be as precise as you thought.

Finally, is there a difference between real facts and REAL facts?=-)

I would have though the pond was too wide to throw rocks across!

Open circuit and rebreathers are inherently different types of diving - in open circuit, PO2 is a function of depth, whereas in a rebreather (depending on the model), it can be controlled by either electronics or the user to be constant if desired. I have no doubt that rebreather divers choose to use computers such as the VR3 et al. in technical diving, when the rebreather itself contains electronics as part of the basic design, and the diver can benefit from computers that have O2 sensors as integrated options. Open circuit is a mechanical system, and this "mechanical" system easily extends to the use of prepared tables and bottom timers.

But I'll bet in 50 years everyone is using computers for all diving, and rebreathers will be commonplace. The encroachment of computers on technical diving (OC or SCR/CCR) is as sure as the encroachment of PCs in the workplace. Technology displaces methodology.

madmole once bubbled...
I'm fed up with seeing peoples opinions quoted as facts on these boards

I couldn't agree more...like when someone makes a rash judgement about another poster's 1)reading habits and 2) diving knowledge based on the somewhat spurious premise that 3000 rebreather divers are representative of the entire technical diving community.

You want to disagree? Fine...practice what you preach...stick to the fact pattern and leave the ad hominem out.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
NE,

What were the circumstances of the failure? I've been inside the Ruby E and Yukon wrecks with my Vytec, and did not experience any interference. I've only done a couple of penetrations though - not incredibly tight stuff, but through hatches, some low ceilings, etc.

I'm sticking with my transmitter until it causes me a problem - I still use an SPG on a 24" hose on my rig - but it's clipped off out of the road anyway, right? I didn't appreciate how nice air integration is until I realised I was no longer reaching for my SPG every few minutes throughout the dive - your remaining backgas PSI is on your wrist, and you see it each time you check time and depth (all three on the same screen). I DEFINITELY would not use the Vytec for any EAN diving where I had to use all three gas mixtures (eg EAN32, EAN50, 100% O2) that can be programmed into it - the computer is just waaaaaaay too conservative, even after tweaking the algorithm settings from RGBM100 to RGBM50 (Suunto's designation for a particular algorithm variable). Advanced Nitrox is a class I want to take soon, so I might play around with a single gas switch on it in computer mode - but I think I should be using it as a gauge for that style of diving.

But for *recreational*, 2 or 3 tank days, the transmitter is the bees knees! The borderline technical diving I do, it's still valuable (to me), but I'm still only getting into it.

2 Steel hulled wrecks at 90 - 120 fsw. Two different divers on two different days. Both divers were in close proximity to the hulls when the computers lost contact with the transmitter.

The manufacturer confirmed that this could happen.

I agree with you that it would be nice to have the SPG on my wrist. But not at the expense of having to carry two gauges.

Besides, I can estimate my gas supply fairly closely. I only look once in awhile and I'm seldom off more than 100 psi.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

Besides, I can estimate my gas supply fairly closely. I only look once in awhile and I'm seldom off more than 100 psi.

How the dickens do you estimate problems such as gas loss?

The whole debate over computers in tech diving aside, one thing that the transmitter does allow, is being able to tell your remaining tank pressure in case of a left post shutdown - if this happens, you've lost your SPG. The transmitter on your right post will keep transmitting remaining tank pressure while you abort the dive.

Minor feature I know :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom