Wireless EPG for possible technical use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquamaniac once bubbled...

How the dickens do you estimate problems such as gas loss?

Not sure if I understand the question entirely.

I do have an SPG and I do monitor it. My comment was directed to normal dives in which I don't have an unexpected loss of gas.

I do a bubble check at 15 fsw at the start of each and every dive. If there are leaks (haven't had any yet), I'd abort.

If I experienced gas loss at depth (from a free flow or other correctable problem), I'd correct the problem and/or isolate. I'd also look at the SPG and abort if necessry.

If I couldn't correct or isolate the problem, my buddy team would ascend while closely monitoring the supply. I'd share gas if my supply became critical until I got on my deco gas.

The question was

How do you monitor/deco during a dive ................................, please specify which tables, software or computer you use ..........................................

Most said they use the computer during the dive, but planned originally and carried bailout tables cut on Z/Vplan, DDplan and Proplanner in the main

Yes you are right in that CCR's impose a different type of diving on the user but as the PO2's are constant unlike on an OC dive its actually easier to model a CCR dive on a computer prior to a dive

The Inspiration users are doing deeper and much longer dives than most as well

Maximum Depth CC Mean 69.40 Lowest 15 Highest 165 Metres

Average Depth CC Mean 39.28 Lowest 10 Highest 100 Metres

Dives per Year CC Mean 54.35 Lowest 4 Highest 502

Longest Dive CC Mean 133.60 Lowest 40 Highest 420 Mins

Average Dive CC Mean 68.69 Lowest 35 Highest 180 Mins

Take a look at at the survey and data on
http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/divemole.htm Its in the User survey section

Madmole:

I was looking at your poll when you posted the response.

OK, so the substantitive difference is that some of the divers plan on custom tables and use computers during the dive, while others (including me) use tables for the entire dive.

The fact remains that most are using tables to plan the dive. Which is the point I was trying to make.

I don't see any reason to spend the time cutting tables, then ignore them in favor of a computer. Why would you do that?

What happens when the tables you cut and your computer don't agree? Also, how do you reconcile the tables to wherever you happen to be in the profile if the computer dies on you and you are outside (time, depth or a combination) the tables?

I think most do what I do.

They run the dive through a few planners before hand to get a feel for the deco and profiles likely to come up so they know they will be down around say 50 mins. They cut backup and bailout tables around this

They then do the dive on the computer only. The paper version and bailout are for emergency. Having played with the models before hand you could also do a guessed deco if it was a really bad day and you lost the backups

One of the big difference sin RB diving is that gas duration is no longer a dive terminator. You have 10 hours of gas on board!!!! so what most CCR divers do is agree how much hang time they are prpared to do and then swim around untill Time To Surface gets to the agreed figure

As in the UK most dives are variable profile, this works really well on things like the VR3

I won't say that you're wrong, but I still like my tables.

Perhaps I'd feel differently if more of the wrecks resulted in a widely varying profile. Over here, most of the wreck dives that I've done have had reasonably square profiles. Alternatively, we plan to spend time at a few different depths (explore superstructure, explore deck, penetrate and exit). Tables are easy enough to cut in that circumstance.

However, none of what we've discussed is responsive to the question regarding the hoseless computer.

IMHO, the transmitter adds an unnecessary risk with no offsetting benefit, particularly since I've witnessed two failures. This risk is in addition to whatever you think about computers in general.

What do you think?

I personally do not use hosless on my OC rig. With at least 4 tanks on me and up to 8 in the past, it would be daft to monitor one tank

I have a normal SPG on each back tank and those little button guages or small 6" hosed spgs on my stages

On the turtle you hardly need to check the SPG's, really to make sure you havn't sprung a leak (but one of the nice things on ccr is you can hear the smallest of bubbles)

Save your money on the transmitter and buy a backup Computer with it!!

Big surprise, we agree. I have a single large brass SPG on my back gas and smaller (but not button) SPG's on short (4") hoses on my deco bottle or bottles).

I don't like the little gauges, primarily because I find them hard to see. Also, having large gauges means that my buddies can see my gas supply (and I can see theirs) from a few feet away.

I actually like em. Just lets me check the stages are full. When rigged side slung on I can just lift teh end and see em. I dont need to know haw much is in them cos I planned my dive in advance to make sure I have enough

If the guage says their empty on a dive, their empty, not much I can do about it

that the DIR zealots would come out in force when I posted this question.... which was why the icon on the original message.

The reported "failures" on the wreck are either mis-reported or anecdotes from other DIR zealots. They HAVE TO BE.

I don't know how the other hoseless transmitters work, but I DO know how the Suunto ones work, because I have their manuals and have gone through them in depth.

The code pairing happens when the transmitter is first given pressure. It will not change until and unless the cylinder pressure drops below 145psi, then rises over 800psi. It is NOT controlled by, nor can it be reset by, electronic interference.

Therefore, IF you momentarily lost contact, it would not be a big deal. You would see "FAIL" on the computer, alternating with the last pressure reading that was valid. As soon as the transmission was no longer disrupted, you'd again see the pressure. A transient "FAIL" indication, such as could be caused by a strobe or metal that would refract the signal, is a minor annoyance rather than a serious problem. Since FAIL only appears if the pressure doesn't update within a minute, I doubt it would happen at all in most cases.

If somehow the transmitter DID reset due to some kind of glitch, you can reset the wrist unit by a key sequence that is listed in the manual to erase the stored code, then put the wrist unit close to the transmitter. I have no idea if this works at depth once the computer is in dive mode, but will try it.

I would be VERY interested in the EXACT details of the reported "failures" cited in this thread.

Yeah. There's gotta be room for personal preference.

I also plan for gas usage; so its not like I'm sweating it on a hang. But I still like the big gauge on the hose. You very well might have better eyesight than me, 'cause I can't see the little gauges all that well.

Back
Top Bottom