Wireless EPG for possible technical use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis once bubbled...
that the DIR zealots would come out in force when I posted this question.... which was why the icon on the original message.

The reported "failures" on the wreck are either mis-reported or anecdotes from other DIR zealots. They HAVE TO BE.

I don't know how the other hoseless transmitters work, but I DO know how the Suunto ones work, because I have their manuals and have gone through them in depth.

The code pairing happens when the transmitter is first given pressure. It will not change until and unless the cylinder pressure drops below 145psi, then rises over 800psi. It is NOT controlled by, nor can it be reset by, electronic interference.

Therefore, IF you momentarily lost contact, it would not be a big deal. You would see "FAIL" on the computer, alternating with the last pressure reading that was valid. As soon as the transmission was no longer disrupted, you'd again see the pressure. A transient "FAIL" indication, such as could be caused by a strobe or metal that would refract the signal, is a minor annoyance rather than a serious problem. Since FAIL only appears if the pressure doesn't update within a minute, I doubt it would happen at all in most cases.

If somehow the transmitter DID reset due to some kind of glitch, you can reset the wrist unit by a key sequence that is listed in the manual to erase the stored code, then put the wrist unit close to the transmitter. I have no idea if this works at depth once the computer is in dive mode, but will try it.

I would be VERY interested in the EXACT details of the reported "failures" cited in this thread.

Yeah, Crikey, I must have been lying huh..........
Why bother asking if you dont like the answers?

your report was not about the Suuntos.

Technology varies from manufacturer to manufacturer....

BTW, there are people who have written reviews on the Suunto wireless units that are photographers, and none have had trouble with their strobes bolloxing the transmitter.

To be honest, I never look at them on during the dive. I check them all on the boat just before I jump to make sure they are powered up and full (then turned off again)

Once your on the dive, they either work or dont. I'd hear a leak

Yep, world would be a bad place if we all have to dive the same way in the same kit and the DIR police crewed every boat. Its a shame that a few bad apples put people off what is a very good system

Also have to add......
After the air display went funky, it returned to normal.
And it WAS an original Uwatec Air X nitrox.
Now replaced with a Brass SPG, bottom timer and wetnotes
:D

madmole once bubbled...
To be honest, I never look at them on during the dive. I check them all on the boat just before I jump to make sure they are powered up and full (then turned off again)

Once your on the dive, they either work or dont. I'd hear a leak

Yep, world would be a bad place if we all have to dive the same way in the same kit and the DIR police crewed every boat. Its a shame that a few bad apples put people off what is a very good system

Hey fella, you call YOURSELF dangerous, and an unsafe dive partner....

I've used the Vytec with transmitter, while taking photos with a Nik V with a pair of Ikelite 50 strobes. No interference. The only time I've had problems with my Vytec is when I put it on, sync'd it to the transmitter, then walked around the boat deck out of range for longer than a minute.

So I'd say go for it, Genesis.

But I am going to have to call you on the "DIR zealots" statement - yours was the first reference to DIR in the thread.

Karl D, what are the differences between the EXACT details and the exact details.

I thought that you wanted an opinion and even tried to be nice about it. You want a problem. Fine.

DIR has nothing to do with it. Mad Mole is a self-titled "stroke" and he agreed that hoseless is a potential problem.

Dive whatever you want. You've admitted that you have very little substantive experience. I treat your posts like I would those of a mewling child (where are yours, anyway).

The failures I noted occured as described. It wasn't my gear or my team, so I really didn't investigate it. I did listen to the results.

As for the exact details, I'll reiterate your suggestion to me. Do your own research (I sure had fun when you suggested it to me). Of course, that presumes that you have time to take off from drafting those ridiculous legislative proposals and petitions (yeah, I've read them, ROFLMAO), or however else you spend your day.

I'm going to suggest that you tone it down a little. You've got no experience with this unit (you just bought the transmitter) and not much significant experience diving.

I'm very surprised that you would believe an evil dive manufacturer. Here's a little hint. Just 'cause its in writing doesn't mean its true.

Finally, while intermittant failure may not be a big deal when you can move away from the metal, it would kinda be less than good inside a wreck.

Genesis once bubbled...

I just ordered the transmitter for it from SimplyScuba, after having dove with it this weekend (I have a Vyper, so I was familiar with their computer, but my Vyper is in a console mount.)

OMG, Genesis, are you not reading the banter--you started, btw--going on next door? YOU are SUPPOSED to support your LDS whether he is 40 mintues away or 40 miles away!! hehe!!

That's kinda what I figured Scoob. It also matched the reports I've had from others.

(I see NE has posted a few times. He's on my "ignore" list though, so I have no idea what he's been saying - my, how nice this board is when you just filter people out who you like to change the dial on......) :flame:

As for the "support the LDS", uh, no. Silly boy you SMK :) Gee, weren't we having THAT discussion over in another forum here? :)

Genesis once bubbled...

(I see NE has posted a few times. He's on my "ignore" list though, so I have no idea what he's been saying - my, how nice this board is when you just filter people out who you like to change the dial on......) :flame:

You're intelligence is matched only by your personality and, possibly, your dive skills (that is not a compliment, in case you're wondering).

I'm the one who posted about the problems on the wrecks. So how did you get all those details if I'm on ignore?

Back
Top Bottom