Xtx200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah okay. My instructor (shop owner) said that it would have to be done using inflate/deflate buttons. That must've been for the particular one I was looking at then.

Not sure I understood what you meant, but anyway...

It was a setup the OP expressed a preference for. I prefer the long hose setup and if you haven't tried it, give it a go - and make sure to do an air-share drill.

I have dived using Apex regs for the last 7 years and have been very pleased with them. I use an XTX 200 with a XTX 40 alternative air source as my normal recreational dive rig (I use a long hose configuration) and would not change to another set up.
Early in my diving career I use one of the combined BC inflator/alternate air source devices and frankly found it to be more trouble than it is worth. I would stick with an "octopus"

Okay. I'd personally go with a long hose set-up for the octopus. We were practicing air sharing ascents and stuff of that nature involving the octopus and the regular size hose is way too short. If you turn to one side then your partner doesn't have a reg anymore.

What are you basing that on?

On personal experience cus I've used both before. There was also some test done bout 4-5 years ago n showed that the FST did breath better but I can't remember where on the web those tests are anymore... maybe on the divernet site?

The only adv of the FSR is better looks n its slightly lighter. but at $70 more n doesn't have great hose routing compared to the FST.

For a new diver, the DS4 is more than enough n I'm still using them for when I travel n deco use.

SangP

On personal experience cus I've used both before. There was also some test done bout 4-5 years ago n showed that the FST did breath better but I can't remember where on the web those tests are anymore... maybe on the divernet site?

The only adv of the FSR is better looks n its slightly lighter. but at $70 more n doesn't have great hose routing compared to the FST.

For a new diver, the DS4 is more than enough n I'm still using them for when I travel n deco use.

SangP

Im not sure if this is the one you are referring to but there was such a review in a "muscle Regs" artical written in Scuba Diving Magazine. Article attached below.

View attachment muscle_regs_11_05.pdf

OOps just noticed how old this thread was, oh well maybe useful for someone.

Last edited:
Im not sure if this is the one you are referring to but there was such a review in a "muscle Regs" artical written in Scuba Diving Magazine. Article attached below.

View attachment 103808

OOps just noticed how old this thread was, oh well maybe useful for someone.
Very interesting indeed.
FST/ATX100 > FSR/ATX200 > DST/ATX50 at 60m.

I'm rather sceptical about the whole thing... FWIW the 'official' Apeks ANSTI figures (at 50m) are:

XTX200: 0.41 Joules/litre
XTX100: 0.53 J/l
XTX50: 0.65 J/l
XTX40: 0.85 J/l
XTX20: 0.96 J/l

I'm rather sceptical about the whole thing... FWIW the 'official' Apeks ANSTI figures (at 50m) are:

XTX200: 0.41 Joules/litre
XTX100: 0.53 J/l
XTX50: 0.65 J/l
XTX40: 0.85 J/l
XTX20: 0.96 J/l
As far as I know the differences between all the 2nd stages(XTX, ATX, TX) are minor. So it "must" be the matching 1st stage. What else could it be?
I would like to know which 1st stage was paired with the 40 and 50 during the test?
The Hydrostatic Diaphragm does contribute significantly between DST(XTX50) and UST(XTX20) at 50m.
FSR out-performs DST by over 50%!!

Back
Top Bottom