Question Yoke Regulator with Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as evidenced by not a single example being brought up in answer to my question of "who has seen it happen in the water?".
This is a tedious inquisition. I've never seen anyone drown underwater, either; therefore it does not happen?

This is a tedious inquisition. I've never seen anyone drown underwater, either; therefore it does not happen?
Silly analogy.

Most drownings are not witnessed firsthand, however there are many, many accounts of diving accidents, confirmed by experts in the field, and we can conclusively say "that person drowned".

We cannot say that about yoke valve failures.

Surely a marine scientist can see the logic here.

The question was "Yoke Regulator with Wreck Diving", we have moved to DIN v Yoke.
I will also go a little off topic.
Just came back from a weeks diving and I took a DIN regulators [Mk19 and a spare mk2] knowing they had cylinders with the inserts.
I was the only one using DIN, I also had the tool to remove said inserts, most inserts I removed had corrosion on the thread, and the inner O ring on one fell out on removal, a couple of times It was an effort to screw the din in place.
If I was to go back to this island [good diving] I will take either my Mk 19 or Mk 10 Yoke regulators.

As a side note, they had steel cylinders [which was a surprise] and they had rust on the outside, made me think "what do they look like inside"?

Wreck diving, DIN, back on topic.

I was the only one using DIN, I also had the tool to remove said inserts, most inserts I removed had corrosion on the thread, and the inner O ring on one fell out on removal, a couple of times It was an effort to screw the din in place.

As a side note, they had steel cylinders [which was a surprise] and they had rust on the outside, made me think "what do they look like inside"?

I spent more than a bit of quality time in Third World hell-holes, in my misspent and troubled yoot, and can assure you that the interior of most steel tanks were absolute nightmares, regardless of locale -- and that I rebuilt my regulators on a six month basis, just when the IP would just begin to fluctuate, with all of the precision of a Swiss timepiece.

The convertible DIN tanks were all but unheard of, at the time; and those later rarities, fitted with the inserts, were typically fused together (sadly, most still think that electrolysis exclusively refers to hair removal). The crew on one boat had about a 20 cm length of steel pipe which they would attach to an Allen key, to disassemble -- and it often took some doing . . .

Allen key, to disassemble -- and it often took some doing . . .
The one the crew had for this job was about 18" long.
They also filled the cylinders in place on the boat between dives, and on some trips it was a very wet trip out and back and no covers on the valves [that did not have a regulator on them], most regulators were taken off ready for the next fill before the trip back, now the DIN one is a big gaping hole without the insert, how many times has this happened?
I am stating the obvious for most people reading this post when I say "do you see a problem?"

I am struggling to see why anyone in this thread would prefer or suggest yoke if they had the option to choose din. DIN is a newer, more secure design, it has higher pressure ratings for a reason, its more compact, arguably easier to service, seals with better/thicker o-rings, can if absolutely need be easily converted to din, all your favorite yt dive personalities recommend it, HoW could anyone like yoke more???

if you are a human stuck in the 80s that uses yoke IF YOU HAVE the option to choose din, please state your reasons other than cost/ my dive center only carries yoke tanks(doubt that)
Thanks 👍

Ill play.

Rental tanks. In yoke land, it's just plain nicer to have a yoke reg. My din reg stays home.

My din regulators have brass threads. How many oblong squished valved tanks can I connect to before my reg gets messed up.

Because of the above damage, the plug doesnt always come out well.

Din is slow as heck. Not only does it take longer to thread on, you have to remove the rentals plug, and try not to lose it.

I did the din reg and adapter bit for a couple trips before I gave up on it.

How many times can I bump a din reg, turning the reg and its screw, before it loosens from the tank?

And the din reg needed threadlock to stay together. Ill have to heat the adapter up with a torch and crack it loose before sending my regs in for service? Do regs need the adapter screw removed for service?

Ill play.

Rental tanks. In yoke land, it's just plain nicer to have a yoke reg. My din reg stays home.

My din regulators have brass threads. How many oblong squished valved tanks can I connect to before my reg gets messed up.

Because of the above damage, the plug doesnt always come out well.

Din is slow as heck. Not only does it take longer to thread on, you have to remove the rentals plug, and try not to lose it.

I did the din reg and adapter bit for a couple trips before I gave up on it.

How many times can I bump a din reg, turning the reg and its screw, before it loosens from the tank?

And the din reg needed threadlock to stay together. Ill have to heat the adapter up with a torch and crack it loose before sending my regs in for service? Do regs need the adapter screw removed for service?
1. Like i said just get a adapter
2. We've got many brass din rental regs at my ds, no problems here, just maybe clean your threads?
3. I dont know what you mean by plug, if you mean cap, we don't cap regs cause all it does is trap moisture
4. Not true, we actually did a video on this just for fun: 5. The adapter is quite literally a yoke assembly, we use cheap amazon ones and they're going 4 years strong
6. Din regs are really only able to shift if you've go less than about 200psi. If your ending your dives with that much gas left.... you know what im not even going to say it
7. Serviced 100s of regs, never needed thread-lock, if torqued by a proper technician then it wont come undone. And if its frozen because of corrosion, clean better, we did a vid on this too:

im not trying to be rude or disrespectful but im still cant find a reason for yoke

You can always change it no problem at all. I'd do it especially if you own your own Tanks.
When you say easy, wouldn’t I have to buy a new 1st stage and buy DIN valves for my 3 tanks and 1 pony?

The yoke adapter can be removed, and a din version installed.

Some valves you just remove that plug and they become din valves.

Back
Top Bottom