Question Yoke Regulator with Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The question was "Yoke Regulator with Wreck Diving", we have moved to DIN v Yoke.
I will also go a little off topic.
Just came back from a weeks diving and I took a DIN regulators [Mk19 and a spare mk2] knowing they had cylinders with the inserts.
I was the only one using DIN, I also had the tool to remove said inserts, most inserts I removed had corrosion on the thread, and the inner O ring on one fell out on removal, a couple of times It was an effort to screw the din in place.
If I was to go back to this island [good diving] I will take either my Mk 19 or Mk 10 Yoke regulators.

As a side note, they had steel cylinders [which was a surprise] and they had rust on the outside, made me think "what do they look like inside"?

Wreck diving, DIN, back on topic.

I must tell you, this is the most compelling argument I've read in response to my OP. Your first hand experience provides the most important data I need.

Your first hand experience provides the most important data I need.
I still dive DIN at home, it is on some island resorts here I will again take a Yoke regulator [as I did in the past].
it is the incapsulated O ring I like on the Din regulators.
Yoke or DIN, both have their place, resorts it is yoke, all other dives, DIN [for me].

Edit: I have 2 of the Yoke adapters [Scubapro and one from Amazon], they stick out too far for me.

I still dive DIN at home, it is on some island resorts here I will again take a Yoke regulator [as I did in the past].
it is the incapsulated O ring I like on the Din regulators.
Yoke or DIN, both have their place, resorts it is yoke, all other dives, DIN [for me].

Edit: I have 2 of the Yoke adapters [Scubapro and one from Amazon], they stick out too far for me.
Same for me. When I was a new diver, and being based in the US, I had never heard of DIN valves. Then I joined SB and discovered more seasoned divers and "tech" divers talking about DIN valves, so for my next set of regulators I bought DIN. For local diving with rental tanks, I found more than one tank with the DIN valve receptacle bent out of round and unable to receive my reg. For tropical diving I got the impression resorts and liveaboards favored yoke. DIN inserts were corroded in place, and dive crew seemed bothered by requests to get out that extension handle for the hex key to persuade the inserts to unstick themselves. I had a screw-on DIN-to-yoke adapter but felt it was an unwieldly solution and disliked having to take it with me all the time. Eventually, I converted those regs to yoke. When I eventually started training to dive in caves, I of course had to acquire an entirely new set of regs for use with double tanks, and those regs are DIN, but I still use the old yoke regs for tropical resorts and liveaboards. If I were to similarly train to explore the interiors of wrecks, it would be a similar setup as for caves: DIN regs, double tanks, etc. But that is not the kind of wreck diving the OP will be doing on this trip.

Since I'm not on the site yet, I do not yet know [how far inside the wreck I might be]
You could contact the operator of your trip and ask if any of the wrecks present an "overhead environment" versus a "swim-through" and see how they describe it.

You could contact the operator of your trip and ask if any of the wrecks present an "overhead environment" versus a "swim-through" and see how they describe it.
If it's the Northern Wrecks & Reefs in the Red Sea - I have booked that trip for next September - they only require OWD certification, so I can't imagine anything more than a simple swim-through. Not sure if the OP has the same in mind, of course.

Roughly 99% of the diving population would not understand this question, since at least 99% of the diving population would call a swim-through an overhead environment.

Roughly 99% of the wreck entries (note the careful use of a non-official word) I have made in hundreds of wreck dives, at both NDL and Tech depths, have been swim-throughs, meaning I exited somewhere other than my entry point. Some of them have been pretty long swim-throughs, but in each case I knew the exit (or another similar option) would be there waiting for me.

in each case I knew the exit (or another similar option) would be there waiting for me.

However, in a cave this would be an illegal traverse, since you did not verify the exit!

This is a tedious inquisition. I've never seen anyone drown underwater, either; therefore it does not happen?
Sorry about the delay responding, had to work and wanted to give this the thought it deserves.
I disagree, and feel you are comparing apples to crowbars.
I personally know of a number of people who drowned (not on scuba, however). Countless people on this forum know of numerous documented cases of drowning while on scuba. Also freediving. I have not seen documented or even hearsay of any actual incident of the "knocked a yoke reg off the valve while diving" alleged failure mode.
We don't tell people never swim, scuba or freedive.... despite countless documented drownings. Yet we have plenty of divers calling yokes a terrible idea and don't buy them because of something I haven't ever even heard rumor of happening.
We have, however gone off topic and I will let it lie here. I think, in the interest of further exploring this tangent I may start a new thread/poll.

Respectfully,

James

However, in a cave this would be an illegal traverse, since you did not verify the exit!
The longest swim through you can do in a wreck is a fraction of a cave traverse. Note that I said an alternative was also available.

An example would be on an upper deck of the Spiegel grove. You look in a door and see a room with no obstacles, minimal silt, another door across from you, and a huge hole cut in the hull. Your plan is to go through the door on the other side, which may lead to an unverified exit, but you always have that big hole in the hull as an alternative. You cross the room, look through the door, and you see exactly the same thing. You can go the entire length as one long swim through, but you are never more than a few feet from an alternative exit to open water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom