Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe BCD for Instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravellingTaylors

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been reading LOADS of good things about the Zeagle Express Tech. I like the idea of a light weight BC, and definitely prefer wing stlye over the claustrophobic feeling jackets.

Two questions for anyone who can help a newbie to Zeagle.

1/ I am about to do my IDC and am looking to upgrade my BC. This certainly looks like a good light weight travel BC, and I like the Zeagle warranty! Just a bit concerned about the lack of pockets on this BC for tolls and stuff when I am teaching. Anyone out there used these BC for teaching?

2/ Are the shoulder straps comfortable? They don't look very padded... Doing two or three dives a day, I want something comfortable. I mostly only wear a 3mm wetsuit, but have been known to go topless!!!

I'm sure being Zeagle, there are plenty of additions you can get for this BC, so I'm just after a few pointer really!

Oh, and is it possible to change this set-up to take two tanks?

Thanks for your help.

Billy T

Welcome to the board.

Adding pockets is not really a problem. I use one of the Zeagle add on accessory pockets on the waist band and there are a bunch of others that would do. In addition to the pockets you will want to add several D-rings to clip off assorted items.

I would assume the delux would be plenty comfortable. I can tell you I just did a week of diving, doing 3 or 4- 60+ minutes each day with an ET. I was wearing a skin with a fleece liner the entire time and had no issues with it being uncomfortable. Like any BC with just webbing for shoulder staps I would suggest at least a T-shirt for padding, the delux may be OK but a shirt never hurts. Plus there are a good number of instructors here that teach in BP/wings so it's not a new idea.

It can be set up for twins but if you are going to do that much you are better off with a dedicated backplate, just makes life easier. Another possible issue with using it as an instructor is shop related. Some shops get real funny about what their instructors wear in class. Students like to dive what their instructor/DM is diving so from the shops point of view, an instructor in a high dollar BC is desirable.

Herman is correct on all points. I use the express tech while teaching as well as a jacket, and BPW. I put students in all of them at one time or another during the course. A slide on pocket is one option and the other since I may be in water for several hours is pockets on your suit. I have thigh pockets on all of my suits from 3 mil-dry suit.

As to the shop point of view, I live in a area that is not exactly a dive training mecca. And gear sales can sparse. The shop I work with is a Zeagle dealer and so using the express tech is not a big deal. He also carries Sherwood, Aeris, Dive Rite, Tusa, and Halycon. As such my students have a wide selection. One thing that we do not have to do is push them into the high dollar BC's. If they want one fine but for new OW students my first recommendation in the Zeagle Express Tech because of it's extreme versatility and adjustability. The owner of the shop sees any sale as a good one. And we agree that many of the high dollar ones are simply just not appropriate from some divers. The one who buys a top of the line Sherwood which can be close to $500 may not be able to afford a reg at the same time. But if the get the Zeagle they just might see the reg as a viable option at the same time. KIds he never recommends a high dollar bc as they are likely to outgrow it in a year or less. The Zeagle is pretty tough to outgrow (size wise anyway). And remember as an instructor your first responsibility is not to the shop. No matter what some say. If you don't put your students first no one wins in the long run. THis includes not only determing their needs, interests, and wants, but their means to pay for them as well. You DO NOT sell a 500-600 dollar bc to some one that does not need it or really cannot afford it.

A pair of Stainless Steel D rings are an easy and inexpensive upgrade to the Express Tech or Express Tech Deluxe. Not necessary but nice.
Lately I have had customers requesting upgrades to a larger bladder. This tells me the unit is being used for more mainstream diving and not just as a travel bc.
Why would a diver shopping for one of these NOT upgrade to the Deluxe and add the 519-WS120 or 130 weight system?

A few questions if people don't mind. If you mount pockets or d-rings on the waist belt, how does that affect loosening the shoulder straps ? It looks like when putting the BC on/off, the belt webbing slides to loosen/tighten the shoulder straps.

The Drings are far enough out so they are not a problem and the way I have my pocket, it slides on the waist section but is held in place by a bungie (hair band actually) that is put behind the strap guide and one of the loops on the pocket.

Thanks for your posts so far guys.
I guess a lot of it is just getting used to the gear you have eh? I remember the first snowboard I ever taught on... Hahaha
Capt. Gene - you mentioned upgrading the bladder and fitting a "519-WS120" what is this? And do Zeagle allow you to buy the deluxe kit with a different bladder, if so, which bladder would you recommend?

FYI, if you need pockets, not just with this BC but any BC, you can try the new IST Holster:
3mm Divers Holster - IST - Hoods, Vest and Socks - Scuba diving - Seavenger.com

Two pockets for only $42 and when I tried it, it's super easy to put on and very comfy----plus the pockets are good size. You can also get the dive rite bellow pockets or thigh pockets but almost the same price and you get two good sized pockets.

Quick question about the Express Tech since I might be interested in it later too: can you buy it directly with a bigger wing, like 30 or 40 pounds? Or do you need to get the 24# one, and than buy a separate bigger wing? So far from looking online, I can't find any place with the option to get it with a bigger wing and if I have to buy another wing, it defeats the point and cost savings and might as well get a standard bp/w.

You can order it with any wing you want. They come "standard" with a 24lb bladder, but you can just as easily get a 35lb or 44lb bladder - they just cost a little more!

As for diving double tanks with the Express Tech....I don't really recommend it. The BC isn't really designed for that.

Thanks,

Scott

Back
Top Bottom