I need a BP&W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

offroaddiver

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have looked at what my future in diving while be. I plan on pursuing trimix and penetration dives at technical levels. I am currently looking at buying a dry suit. I'm stuck between a dui and a dive rite, but thats another post in another forum. I have read all the posts that I can find on BP&W on the internet that are in english. I want something that had good support for carrying the weight when goin to the dive sites. I will also be using the bc for recreational use (warm water t-shirt and trunks). So I've been looking for back pads.

Which manufacturer does everyone suggest for my goals?

How about a setup suggestion?

I'm plning on getting the gear within the next year.
I've borrowed some people's rigs from something that's very similar to a manufactured back-inflate to something that is just webbing, a backplate and redundant wing rig. I know that within the next 3 years that I want to be penetrating a wreck that is in 120-150 feet, cold water and at higher altitude.

I need some help so that I buy gear once and don't end up putting gear that will just collect dust in a year. I like versatility of the BP&W now just need guidance to hit the mark the first time and not waste money and time. I've already had someone tell me that a jacket bc is all I'd need for doubles and deco stops from depths to 180 feet and that I don't need anything that can lift over 40 lbs. I definitely need some good advice that's why I'm getting online.

This will be my first bc purchase so I want the following:

versatility:easy to change setup from double hp steel and deco tanks from deep to single tanks for shallow water.

Comfort: A place for gear and comfortable if I need to carry it on my back for 2 miles before reaching water.

Dependability: If the gear fails I'll haunt you all-just kidding. Something won't fall apart after 10 dives.

Cost: I don't want to pay a chunk of money for a brand name. I don't want to buy a ferari when all I'm goin to do is 45 mph.

offroaddiver:

versatility:easy to change setup from double hp steel and deco tanks from deep to single tanks for shallow water.

Comfort: A place for gear and comfortable if I need to carry it on my back for 2 miles before reaching water.

Dependability: If the gear fails I'll haunt you all-just kidding. Something won't fall apart after 10 dives.

Cost: I don't want to pay a chunk of money for a brand name. I don't want to buy a ferari when all I'm goin to do is 45 mph.

Versatility: if you dive HP steel for double, you will need two set of wings, one 55lbs of lift like the Diverite classic or Halcyon Explorer and a smaller wings for single tank like the Pioneer. I have friends who use DR trek wing 40lbs of lift for small volume double and single.

Comfort: The best place to store gear is in the dry-suit pocket like the one found on the DR 905. If you walk 2 miles with E8 130 you won't be comfortable that for sure.

Dependability: If you take care of the gear, it should last close to 10 years depending of how many dives you do with it. (more than 10 dives anyway)

Cost: Wings are not that expensive compairing to stab Jacket, and the back plate will last forever. (500 to 600$)

offroaddiver:
I have looked at what my future in diving while be. I plan on pursuing trimix and penetration dives at technical levels. I am currently looking at buying a dry suit. I'm stuck between a dui and a dive rite, but thats another post in another forum. I have read all the posts that I can find on BP&W on the internet that are in english. I want something that had good support for carrying the weight when goin to the dive sites. I will also be using the bc for recreational use (warm water t-shirt and trunks). So I've been looking for back pads.

Which manufacturer does everyone suggest for my goals?

How about a setup suggestion?

I'm plning on getting the gear within the next year.
I've borrowed some people's rigs from something that's very similar to a manufactured back-inflate to something that is just webbing, a backplate and redundant wing rig. I know that within the next 3 years that I want to be penetrating a wreck that is in 120-150 feet, cold water and at higher altitude.

I need some help so that I buy gear once and don't end up putting gear that will just collect dust in a year. I like versatility of the BP&W now just need guidance to hit the mark the first time and not waste money and time. I've already had someone tell me that a jacket bc is all I'd need for doubles and deco stops from depths to 180 feet and that I don't need anything that can lift over 40 lbs. I definitely need some good advice that's why I'm getting online.

Hmm...

You need a starter set!

A single wing and a Backplate and harness. These are the basic building blocks.

I think that you should get your gear for the type of diving that you are doing now. Wreck penetration and tech diving is way off for you. Believe me...when it comes to tech diving the gear costs are MASSIVE. What you spend now will just be a drop in the bucket...so your future plans have little to do with which BP/wing combo you get today.

What is important is that you get a quality rig that is appropriate for what you are doing now... so that you can become proficient at diving with this kind of gear.

I gotta run, but I'll get back to you with more.

Personally I'd suggest Tobin's backplate (www.deepseasupply.com). The injection molded grommets are a blessing, and the flatness of the plate makes it extremely comforatable.

I use his single-tank wing, but they are interchangable. Look for what you need.

Tell us about the kind of diving you're doing now...

...salt, fresh, local, travel, cold water, warm water, exposure suit.

...How experienced are you? How much weight are you using and under what circumstances?

The more you tell us, the better we can answer your question.

Stephen Ash:
...How experienced are you?

Hopefully fairly experienced if he's talking wreck penetration.

Blackwood:
Hopefully fairly experienced if he's talking wreck penetration.
He's talking about wreck pen *in three years*

Good advice above. If it helps, I have a section on my website for bp/wing manufacturers to help with some of the info - http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba as well as a section on what you will need besides the plate and wing (webbing, hardware, etc..)

Have fun

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom