Please critique my guage/computer plan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pcarlson1911

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm just getting my feet wet in the sport and am making the major purchases to own my own gear.

I am convinced that diving with a computer is a more efficient and safer way to enjoy the sport, but at the same time, I don't want to be computer dependant. And money is an issue.

So I plan to dive this season on a set of guages using the Tables. This saves money and makes sure that I understand what a computer should be telling me.

When I purchase guages, I plan on purchasing a 3 guage console. Air, depth with max indicator, and compass. This will be attached via a quick disconnector.

When I upgrade to a computer it will most likely be air integrated, and will also have a quick disconnect. I will keep my guages and have them as a back up if the computer goes down.

Let me know what you think!
pc

That's a sound plan 1911, but, right off hand, I'm not aware of any analog gauges that are "quick disconnect" capable.

the K

Oceanic has a quick disconnect you can add to the console part # 04.1200.1 MSRP $44.95

Sounds good, something like the Suunto 3-inline console.
You're right not to become too dependant on the computer, after all it is only a guide, your own physiology will dictate your limits!!!

cerich:
Oceanic has a quick disconnect you can add to the console part # 04.1200.1 MSRP $44.95

Can that be added to a conventional analog console???

the K

Thanks for the thumbs up!

Scuba.com offers the Quick connect as an option 34.95 on some of the consoles.

Yup

Thanks, Rich!

That's "Kewl"

There's your plan 1911.

And here's a shameless plug for Oceanic . . .

I dived a Datamax Pro Plus for six years . . . love it!

Bought my wife a Datamax Pro Plus 2 a year or so ago . . . she loves it!

Just bought myself an Oceanic VT Pro.

There is nothing wrong with my old Datamax Pro Plus, I'm just tweaking my setup.
I've had nothing but good experiences with the Oceanic products and their service and support.

the K

I agree with your methods for this, and I am basically doing the same sort of thing, with a slight change. I am not going to swap my consol for a computer... the time when you most need the computer is underwater, and that is the hardest time to change consol out :wink:. Ofcourse, as soon as your computer bails, you should surface, but wouldn't you feel that much better having the old analogs sitting there, telling you that you have enough air to stop for the safety, and making sure you are at the right depth?

The added cost of the hose, and the small added drag is worth it to me.

Something to think about atleast.

I've thought about that redundency issue, however, how long have people been diving with analog guages without a backup. Guages fail, surface. I feel the same way with the computer.

Right now, I'm planning on skipping the guages. I want to be as streamlined as possible as I am already an air hog.
pc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom