What do you wear under your wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pollywogg

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I wear a Pinnacle Cruiser 5mm for most of my diving. I sometimes wear my 3mm, but, as I find myself chilly in even the warmest waters, my 5mm is my go-to suit. I love the suit, it fits me like a glove. When I first began diving, I wore boardshorts under my suits. When I finally got tired of the bunching, I began just wearing my boxers under my suits. When I switched over to my 5mm, my boxers began to give me grief. My solution has been to buy some boxer briefs and wear them when I dive. This has been a great solution, and i have never been more comfortable in my wetsuit.
Now, the boxer briefs are a little.....more showy. I have grown up playing sports, and the two people I dive most often with are my girlfriend and my instructor/employer(who is ex-military, and probably wouldn't be phased if I ran around naked with warpaint). I say this to indicate that my social awareness monitor may not be at the socially acceptable level.
I say all of this to give background to this:
My girlfriend and I went down to the Keys this weekend. We dove off the Kokoma Kat II with about 20 other people on Friday and Saturday. While donning and doffing wetsuits, my girlfriend *says* she saw a couple eyes scanning the goods, and a couple of other unfriendly eyes(she seems to think my boxer briefs were perceived as indecent) I didn't notice this, because I spent my time talking to the Captain, the rescue swimmers, and a couple other passengers on the boat.
After the second day of diving, my girlfriend brought this up. She felt that the boxer briefs might be a little too tight around the other divers. She suggested I buy some speedo shorts as an undergarment, similar to whhat our rescue diver, Don, wore on the first day. My argument is that it would be almost the exact same thing, but clingier, showier, and more expensive. Is it somehow less indecent if it says Speedo?
I am happy with my boxer briefs arrangement, but my girlfriend was annoyed by the looks. It has caused me to wonder what other(male) divers wear under their wetsuits. I never really notice what other divers wear underneath, even though I do admit to scoping out every other diver's gear, just to see what other divers have.
Again, I am quite happy with my boxer briefs setup, I'm just curious.

I wear my marine corps pt shorts. We call them "silkies" because of how silky smooth they are. You definitely need to not be shy about showing you junk with these things......especially when they get wet. They're quite short, so make sure you don't have any pronounced tan lines either.

http://www.usmcblues.com/items/bx1010.jpg

Personally, I'd wear something even more embarrassing than your boxer briefs just to piss her off and say, "So, would you like me to go back to the boxer briefs? Not as bad, huh?"

Or, if you want to get something more conservative, get some compression shorts.

A speedo----& it can get ugly for a moment or 2 till I get my wetsuit over it------LOL

I wear the Speedo shorts (aka "Jammers") under my 3mm full. They are comfortable, don't bunch up, and are less "racey" than than traditional Speedos.

However, I do try to limit "public exposure" by very quickly donning board shorts over them when not in my wetsuit :amazed:

Best wishes.

I must come and see this sometime.:D
Overhere all divers are in their bare butt.:rofl3:
Guess your anatomy must be a bit different, or something like that.:confused:

Believe me, if it weren't for fear of being arrested....arrested naked, at that, I would gladly get into my wetsuit bare-booty

We're Americans. We come from a history of prudes and it still shows today.

A buddy of mine that studied abroad in Geneva has a photo of a guy walking around, Sunday stroll, in the city wearing a "Gilligan" sailor hat, diapers, and sneakers. And we're the weird ones.......

I wear black compression shorts. You can buy the Under Armor brand for big $ or go to Walmart and pick up a pair in the sporting goods area for about $12. They are slippery, so the wetsuit goes on easily, and dry quickly, so you can slip a pair of regular shorts on over them.

My girlfriend and I went down to the Keys this weekend. We dove off the Kokoma Kat II with about 20 other people on Friday and Saturday. While donning and doffing wetsuits, my girlfriend *says* she saw a couple eyes scanning the goods, and a couple of other unfriendly eyes(she seems to think my boxer briefs were perceived as indecent) I didn't notice this, because I spent my time talking to the Captain, the rescue swimmers, and a couple other passengers on the boat.

My husband and I were diving (Looe Key) with you on Saturday. I must admit that I didn't even notice what you were wearing, although the boat was pretty full. I would wear whatever makes you comfy. (We were sitting on the starboard side along the back).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom