wet suit vs. dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kreid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Living here is Michigan, and diving the great lakes, I am just wondering if I should begin investigating using a dry suit. I'll be taking a class this winter, but, 1. is it really that much better, 2. is it harder to controll bouyancy and 3. will I still need a wet suit.

Drysuit, drysuit, drysuit.

I dive wet in the winter and it is miserable. Actually it is miserable most of the time around here.

If you have the money get a drysuit.

Take a drysuit class and you'll learn how to control buoyancy using the wet suit. It is also a form of backup buoyancy.

You may need a wetsuit if you go some place tropical, however I can guarantee you will dive more locally if you dive dry.

Drysuit, drysuit, drysuit.

Living here is Michigan, and diving the great lakes, I am just wondering if I should begin investigating using a dry suit...is it really that much better?

Been diving dry since as long as I've been certified.

I have never once surfaced and thought "Good dive...but I sure wish I was freezing my n@ds off!"

:eyebrow:

Been diving dry since as long as I've been certified.

I have never once surfaced and thought "Good dive...but I sure wish I was freezing my n@ds off!"

:eyebrow:

:D

Well put.

fstbttms put it perfectly

1.- Once you use a drysuit in cold water you will never go back.

2.- Not really

3.- If you dive in warmer temps or the weather is hot outside, the drysuit is too much.

I live in Illinois and have a 7 mil semi-dry suit and almost never use it. Just buy the dry suit, like the poster said, you'll dive more in cold water because you won't be freezing your butt off.

Drysuit!

There are quite a number of folks around here that dive dry (sounds like an incontinence product) all year 'round (the St Lawrence gets into the uppers 70s in summer). A heavier undergarment (think layers) for colder weather & something light for summer.

If you're fortunate enough to head south for some clear, warm blue water a light wetsuit is perfect.

If you're fortunate enough to head south for some clear, warm blue water a light wetsuit is perfect.

Don't be ridiculous!

West Palm Beach...
RJP.jpg

Cayman Islands...
GoodViz2.jpg

Bonaire...
WarmDry.jpg

Not to mention Truk Lagoon, Red Sea, Mediterranean, Maui, Lanai, Kona, Oahu, Florida and Curacao.

You don't have to be COLD to be DRY!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom