Trip Report: West Divers, La Parguera, Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlevine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just completed a trip to La Parguera (December 26-30, 2008) and dove with West Divers (Scuba Diving in La Parguera, Puerto Rico) for the first time. I had a great time and wanted to share my findings.

This was my fourth trip to La Parguera. My previous three times I dove with Parguera Divers which has since closed. Victor La Santa, who assisted at Parguera Divers now (along with his wife Roxanna) runs West Divers. I mention this because those who have dove with Parguera Divers will recognize some of the same safety features.

West Divers has its dock just off the main plaza in town. Victor takes out six people each day along with himself, the captain (Jose or Manuel), and in our case a divemaster trainee (Carlos). We were given a safety briefing at departure in which the location and operation of all safety equipment was explained. The safety equipment included radios, GPS, emergency locating system, raft, cell phone, life jackets, and fire extinguishers. There is also a camera bucket on board as well as a fresh water hose.

At each dive site, the crew releases a line with two buoys. The closest buoy holds the ascent/descent line which has a colored zone and knots to indicate the depth for your safety stop. There is also a watch tied to the line so you can time your safety stop. At the bottom of the line there is also a bucket with extra weights in case you need them toward the end of the dive. The second buoy at the end of the surface line is used to reveal the direction of the current. They also suspend two regulators into the water with air supplied from the surface that can be used in the event of an air emergency.

After receiving a briefing on the local site, everyone jumps in via a giant stride off the back platform. The first dive is usually a wall dive at 90-120 feet and lasts about forty minutes or 900psi. The second dive is usually a wall dive at 60-80 feet and lasts about thirty minutes. My dive buddy and I were diving Nitrox and we asked Victor if we could extend our time and he gave us an extra ten minutes or so with no questions so each dive was approximately 45-50 minutes for the Nitrox folks. As far as Nitrox, Victor has a discount if you get two tanks of EAN-30. I believe he also offers EAN-32 and EAN-36 at a slightly higher price.

In general, currents were relatively mild. The dive sites are approximately 30 minutes from the shore. On one day, the swells were a bit large and, well, some of our stomachs couldn't handle it. I suggest taking seasickness meds as a precaution. Between dives and on the way back, Victor provided sandwiches, cookies and drink..

In terms of the diving, visibility was easily 80-100 ft most days. We saw lots of the standard Caribbean sea life including rays, a nurse shark, eels, lobster, crab, and so forth. Overall the sites looked pretty healthy. Good reefs and wall formations.

Also, Victor provides overnight storage for gear at the dock and a dry area on board the boat during dives.

West Divers arranged a package for me at Villa Parguera which is right next to the dock (but not connected to it). Villa Parguera is quite comfortable. The rooms are basic, but clean. The service is quite good. I received vouchers for breakfast as part of the package. At first, the restaurant wasn't serving breakfast early enough but Roxanna took care of that and they opened 15 minutes earlier. The hotel has a small swimming pool and some beautiful garden areas overlooking the Caribbean. My room did not have a view, but I am sure the rate was lower because of it. It was also on the first floor which for me was nice because I didn't have to carry my dive gear upstairs upon arrival. If you want a nicer view, you can request an upgrade.

There's a variety of restaurants in town from inexpensive to very expensive. I like Puerto Pargera, El Mexicano, and a few others. There are two small grocery stores in town and nicer ones a half hour or so away. There are three ATMs in town in case you need cash. There are nice beaches in Guanica and El Combate. It's a great place to unwind. Don't expect luxury, but do expect warmth and hospitality.

A few other details. Divers are asked to be at the dock at 7:15am so bring an alarm clock! The boat returns at about 11:30am. You settle your bill at the store just up the hill. You can pay by credit card. If you reserve a package, you pay for the whole thing at the shop. You don't pay the hotel unless you have incidental room charges. Also, remember that Victor only takes out six people so I encourage you to make your reservations a few months in advance. I would not wait till the last minute.

I also think Puerto Rico is a great location for topside activities as well. There is a lot to do on land in terms of mountain trails/rainforests (El Yunque), beaches (Guanica, El Combate, Luquillo), nature trips, historical sites (e.g. Tibes), Spanish architecture (e.g. Ponce, Old San Juan), science (the Arecibo Observatory), and other stuff. It's a big island so plan accordingly.

I had a wonderful time and will be back!

Last edited:
The Parguera wall is one of the must dives in Puerto Rico. Victor is very safety minded and runs a great program. He is also a photographer as well. One night be sure to do the biolumencent bay.

Remember also when you plan your next trip that Desecheo Island off of the West Coast... accessed from Rincon is another one of the must do dives.

I think that PR diving has much to offer and it is especially savory as you know when you tie it in with other attractions, especially if you have a non diving partner.

This was my fourth trip to La Parguera. My previous three times I dove with Parguera Divers which has since closed.

We also used to dive with Parguera Divers. I heard that Angel and Roberta had moved to Florida. Do you know what ever became of Efra, the original owner of Parguera Divers?

From what I heard, Efra is still around the area but I did not see him during this past trip.

Great report, jlevine! We dove with West Divers last summer and I never got around to posting my report, but you hit all the key points in great detail. Victor is both hospitable and highly safety conscious, a great combination - in my view, he strikes a perfect balance between running a safe operation and respecting his divers. Roxanna takes great care of everyone, too!

A couple other notes on the operation when we were there - 1) Each diver got a laundry basket for their gear to put under the seats; everything else can go in the large dry box forward. 2) Nitrox was analyzed off your BCD inflator hose after your gear is set up - just be sure you reattach the hose! 3) We only got to do one wall dive, but it was, indeed, spectacular. Visibility was poor (20-30 ft) on the nearshore reefs (Enrique, Mario), which made for a tough night dive. However, since the moon was right, they took us to the Bioluminscent Bay for a swim afterwards, which was a truly magical experience.

We also dove out at Descheo with Taino Divers, and I agree that it's another 'must do'!

For those interested, here are some other relevant threads on PR diving:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/greater-antilles/219789-puerto-rico.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/greater-antilles/230630-dive-shops-west-puerto-rico.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gr...o-diving-vieque-vs-la-parquera-vs-rincon.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/greater-antilles/232360-puerto-rico.html

Excellent report covering many shops and dive areas by Luis H:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gr...ort-puerto-rico-1st-week-november-2007-a.html

Thnx for the report

Additional PR diving Info...

Thank you for contacting Sea Ventures Dive Centers! We have 2 dive centers in Puerto Rico so I would like to explain to you the features and advantages to each:

Fajardo has beginning to intermediate dive spots, mostly consisting of shallower dives from 30 - 80 feet. The dive spots are coral reefs around small coral atoll islands. Visibility while not ever truly predictable generally ranges from 20 - 75 ft.
For the morning 2 tank trip we need the divers to be at the dive shop in Fajardo at 08:00 and the boat leaves at 08:30 and returns back to the marina at about 12:30.

Palmas del Mar has intermediate to advanced dive spots, the dive depths range from 40 - 120 feet. There are 35 different dive spots some of which include swim through caverns, a ledge and a small wall... visibilty commonly ranges from 40 to 100 feet.
For the morning 2 tank trip we need the divers to be at the dive shop in Palmas del Mar at 8:30 and the boat leaves at 09:00 and returns back to the marina at about 12:30.
(12 minutes) http://http://www.FourPoints.com/PalmasDelMar
(22 minutes) //// TROPICAL INNS PUERTO RICO ... es familia ////
(30 minutes) //// TROPICAL INNS PUERTO RICO ... es familia ////

We offer:

Morning 2 tank dives go for $119 including gear- or $109 for diver's who only need us to supply tanks and weights.
We have a discount dive program for divers who will be diving with us multiple days:

First day- regular price
2nd day- 10% off
3rd day- 15% off
4th day -20% off
5th day(or more) 25% off

To make a confirmed reservation we will need a contact telephone # where we can reach you while you are in PR, and also credit card information. I am also available to take your dive reservations at our toll free number 1-800-739-DIVE. I hope to hear from you soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom