Can you "borrow" the crewpack for PADI OW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

speuci

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have SDI OW so I have no experience with PADI...

I'm pushing the girlfriend to get certified, and it seems the LCDs in NYC charge $60 for books.

I believe I can get her a crewpack online for $40, but I have another friend who just did PADI OW and I'd prefer to have my girlfriend borrow my other friend's crewpack...

I guess the question hinges on whether of not PADI designed the manual with a feature (such as tear-out-and-submit pages) that would prevent the use of the same manual twice...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

The "Knowledge Reviews" (ie Tests) at the end of each chapter need to be handed in. Typically people fill them out right in the book and then tear them out and turn them in. Without the KRs in the book, the point of whether or not you can "borrow" a book is moot if there are no KR's.

This doesn't answer the OP's questions but reminds me of a recent problem I had regarding crew packs and knowledge reviews. Our new LDS (PADI) here in Houston pitched a fit over my wife and I sharing the crew pack in our Nx class. Our previous LDS in Ohio where were did our OW, AOW and Rescue actually encouraged us to share the crew pack. We enlarge and make copies of the KR's to allow more space for handwriting our answers preserving the KR's in the book. Our new LDS obviously rather we Put Another Dollar In and buy duplicate crew packs. Now that's not very environmentally friendly! :no:

This doesn't answer the OP's questions but reminds me of a recent problem I had regarding crew packs and knowledge reviews. Our new LDS (PADI) here in Houston pitched a fit over my wife and I sharing the crew pack in our Nx class. Our previous LDS in Ohio where were did our OW, AOW and Rescue actually encouraged us to share the crew pack. We enlarge and make copies of the KR's to allow more space for handwriting our answers preserving the KR's in the book. Our new LDS obviously rather we Put Another Dollar In and buy duplicate crew packs. Now that's not very environmentally friendly! :no:

You may not like it - and it's up for debate whether the policy makes sense or not - but the shop that let you share crew-packs is in violation of PADI standards, which require each student to have their own book.

I've got a brand new one still in the wrap that I can sell the original poster for cheap and will include a set of un-opened PADI videos.

just PM.... :D

Thanks for the replies...

it seems like the optimal strategy is:
1) Buy crewpack
2) Write responses on paper
3) Sell crewpack after course at slight discount in mostly-new condition

Thanks for the replies...

it seems like the optimal strategy is:
1) Buy crewpack
2) Write responses on paper
3) Sell crewpack after course at slight discount in mostly-new condition

actually this one wasn't used. It was bought for someone who didn't take the class in the long run.

You may not like it - and it's up for debate whether the policy makes sense or not - but the shop that let you share crew-packs is in violation of PADI standards, which require each student to have their own book.

:no: Standards say,within a family divers may share one crewpack.Even if all 10(?) members take the course.
As for the KR,they don't NEED to be handed in,they NEED to be reviewed.
Instructor or divecenter must keep results on file(document in student recordfile.

There seems to be one problem, in some places in the world PADI uses a hologrammsticker(found on the crewpack and that needs to be placed on the PIC.
Never seen one though.

The "Knowledge Reviews" (ie Tests) at the end of each chapter need to be handed in. Typically people fill them out right in the book and then tear them out and turn them in. Without the KRs in the book, the point of whether or not you can "borrow" a book is moot if there are no KR's.

Just took the class recently and we didn't do this. We took a quiz after each section in class that had a lot of the same questions and that was turned in. However, my book is full of underlining and notes that might not make sense to someone else. The crew pack was included in the base price for the class for all the shops I checked out.

We did review the answers to all the knowledge reviews (as well as the quizzes) as was noted above.

Yes we also got the crewpack for "free" IE -- It was included with the class.

Its surprising every LDS doesn't do this -- just have a price for the class and include the materials and build that into the price.

I guess its one of those tatics to get people in the door.

Scuba Class for a dollar!*

*does not included all your required equipment that you must buy from us also or we have a hissy fit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom