Question for Atomic Owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joeg

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just completed my first dive with my new Atomic B2.
Easy breather but I noticed an intermittent, high pitched squeal coming from the first stage.(shallow breath-no squeal, deep breath=squeal)
Is this normal?

Tank valve was open all the way and same noise when breathing my 2nd or octo.

The noise is not normal. Have it checked by a tech.

Depends on what you mean by "squal". If it is extremely high-pitched, like the sound a TV emits, that sounds familiar. At least, I hear it every time my gf and I go diving. We have both Z2's.

Not normal but failry common for a balanced piston. Has something to do with a harmonic resonance set up between the spring and the HP o-ring. I hit that o-ring with a heavy coat of christolub and that usually takes care of it for a good while. Some believe flipping the spring also helps. Can't hurt. This is probably a job best left for your tech. I assume that ignoring it will result in a little extra wear on that o-ring and it is annoying for all including the fish.

joeg:
Just completed my first dive with my new Atomic B2. I noticed an intermittent, high pitched squeal coming from the first stage

I haven't heard any sound from my Atomic first stages. I have the T1 and B1 models that have been serviced relatively recently.

Just got with my LDS reg tech.
Its harmonic resonance as stated above.
Tech. advised that it's not uncommon for unsealed first stages to do this.
Atomic's fix is to reverse the piston spring. If that does not cure the problem they replace the piston and spring.
My LDS is provided extra pistons and springs just to address this problem.

This was all news to me.

This is a farily common situation with piston first stages, not just those wearing the Atomic label. Proper lubrication of the dynamic O-ring, and switching/reversing the spring normally takes care of the issue.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

I also have an Atomic B-2 which also squeels on inhale. It drives me, divers around me, and the marine life nuts. I have had it to an Atomic authorized dealer who was unable to fix it. Thus, I sent it to Atomic who kindly replaced nearly everything in the first stage. Unfortunately, their kind efforts failed and my reg still squeels. Now the reg is back at Atomic for a third try. After reading about all the people who have had squeeling problems with this regulator, it seems obvious that the reg is a failure no matter what it's cost is. Unfortunately, the B2 is not cheap, but rather very expensive. Different people and magazines have rated regulators based on how easy they breath. But, no one considers how annoying a regulator is when it is breathed through. My B2 breaths like a dream. But, so do other regs - which don't squeel while they are breathing easily.

I own 2 Atomic M1's and never heard a sqeel There is a vibrations from the 2nd Stage "only" above water which I have heard is common but nothing from either stage under.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom