Seeking the elusive SDI Solo Diver course...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still no measurable progress on the Atlanta front. Actually, it almost sounds like we're regressing on that front. As of my last call, they said something about looking for other people who want to take the course so as to mitigate the expense for me, which is something that had never been mentioned before. (I think I was talking to the guy from whom the "give him SDI's number and let him find someone closer" concept came, as he voiced unbelief at there being no SDI Solo instructors in Louisiana or Mississippi -- a fact that has been covered ad nauseum.)

I have a trip with my LDS this weekend, so I'm not going to bother with anything right now, but I might have to be calling Austin after that (unless our DM course is starting in earnest, in which case there'll be a slight delay -- go figure). Austin is something like 7 hours away instead of eight for Atlanta, but I'd really like to visit my sister in Atlanta (and maybe not having to pay for a place to stay is nice, too). Not much I can do if they won't offer the class.

(If I *do* end up picking up the class somewhere else, I'm going to have to make it a point to drop by the shop in Atlanta to show them the card. It'd give me a chance to tell them that they needn't bother with me again... ever... and that I will be recommending against them in the future. There's still hope for now, however, and they may yet pull off an effort deserving of a conditional recommendation; I fear the time may already have passed for an unconditional recommendation -- but, perhaps, I could be surprised.)

Do logged solo dives count towards the 100 dive minimum to qualify for taking the solo cert course? :confused:
As far as I can tell, not only do they count, but they're practically cheating. It's no fair having already learned much of what's to be taught in the class, eh? :biggrin:

The instructor that's going to be teaching you the class if you take it at Austin Aqua Sports is most likely going to be Matt and/or Jean Anne Booth. Matt was my instructor for Solo, Adv. Nitrox, and Deco. I highly recommend him. You can check out their website, Booth Divers, at http://www.booth-divers.com/.

The contact info from the Booth Divers website is:
Telephone: 512.782.2302
FAX: 512.782.2303
Postal address: PO Box 50010, Austin TX 78763-0010
Electronic mail: General information, sales, and support: info@booth-divers.com

You can go through Austin Aqua Sports (512.453.1852) or directly to Matt & Jean Anne. Either way will get you on your way to your Solo Diver cert. and I can guarantee you neither will give you the run around.

For what (little) it's worth, much like you I was currently diving solo at times and did my best to ensure I was doing it to the best of my abilities. I searched the net and read what I could on the subject - even bought a book. Some of my dive buddies had strong opinions on the matter, no surprise, but I figured if I was going to do it anyway, what harm would there be in doing some research.

Eventually, I found a shop in my (general) area and I took their Solo course and got my SDI Solo card. I had my reasons, and truthfully it was more for my own use - should someone question me about it later (or if there was some legal issue). I didn't really feel I gained a whole lot from the course (knowledge wise) but at least I got some confirmation that many of the things I'd incorporated into my dive routine were correct (at least in SDI's way of thinking). I still feel it was worth taking the course.

I am guessing that you, too, may know most of what is taught in the course. The best part of the course was the practical skills tests that we went through. It started with a pool session, where our instructor came by with some slates and he'd give us a scenario (e.g. your BC inflator hose is stuck open, your mask strap came loose) and we'd have to solve the problem (or show what we'd do to solve it) on our own. Some of them involved taking off our rigs and making adjustments before putting them back on under water. In a warm swimming pool it was kind of fun.

Then we did our ocean dive and our instructor brought along some dive masters. We'd each go out and do our "official" solo dive with a dive master following along to keep an eye on us - no skills tests. Then it was pizza and beer while we discussed the details and that was it! I got my card and the reassurance I was doing okay.

Oddly, after I did that, I found I don't do a whole lot of solo diving anymore. What started out as a necessity (because I didn't have a dive buddy) now just became another skill. I still take my pony with me on most of my dives, and I've even made a two "assists" to others who were in need - where I've used the pony while I gave others my main so that they could do a complete slow ascent and safety stop.

So I'd say stick with it and try to find a place that teaches the course. Good luck.

Tod

I finished reading the first book and my instructor told me I need to read another one .. that I do not have yet.

He is also putting together my "pony kit".

Slowly .... but I am getting there.

Regards,

I_AM

Well, looks like I'm out of the running for a while. I just came from my dentist, and I have a root canal scheduled for... (*checks watch*)... 38 minutes from now. That and a crown will eat up a couple weeks' diving and a couple months' budget. Probably won't have a chance until winter or spring, then. :shakehead:

Well, fare thee well, SDI Solo Diver course this year. Fare thee well. :sad:

I was in the same boat as I could not find a local Solo course (Eastern Canada). I took mine in Grenada in June when I went down on vacation for a group trip. I arrived a day earlier than everyone else and did the course.

I went to the SDI web site and did a search in Mississippi and Texas (There were none in Louisiana) and found the two below outfits. I think you mentioned the Flower Gardens and as you can see one of the places that offers the course is the Spree. So you can go on a F/G trip and take the solo course while diving there.

Mississippi
SDI/TDI Dive Center Deep South Scuba Ridgeland 601-957-3483

Texas
Charter Boat M/V Spree Freeport Spree Expeditions Online Booking Service 979-233-4445

Good luck...

Okay, I'm penciled in for the weekend of December 8th in Atlanta. The course is paid for, and the book will shortly be in my possession. If anyone wants to join in, I'm sure they'd be happy to have more students. :wink:

Excellent, you will have to let us know how the course goes.

Only if your buddy signs your logbook.
But what if your buddy doesn't have any hands? Would it be acceptable to use a stamp instead of a signature? (I'm pretty sure both my AL19 and AL30 would be quite capable of leaving an impression on a dive log page. :biggrin:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom