Dissatisfied with DSS boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the term "Bungie" for the stuff that's generally black and white, and about 3/8" in diameter. "Shock cord" is black and about 1/8" in diameter. This may be a personal idiosyncrasy in naming. The narrow stuff obviously cuts through things faster, but it's so much easier to manage with arthritic hands.

Tobin, 99.9999% of the people who use your mounts are THRILLED with them! Don't let one complaint get you down :)

Tobin, 99.9999% of the people who use your mounts are THRILLED with them! Don't let one complaint get you down :)

Exactly. Why do you think we keep buying this stuff! (Even when we're broke...)

The mounts i had for the vyper and sk7 were robust.
No complaints here.

Sounds like you had a bad day. But you certainly do need to find away to recover you investment costs. But of course with the rapid rate of change in the the dive computer product range, it is hard to have production runs long enough to support increased volumes.

For the record, I do love my boots for both my Compass and Dive Rite computer.

Exactly. Why do you think we keep buying this stuff! (Even when we're broke...)

Henrik - Where do you get the cord locks and can you post a pic of them? Love the idea, just having a hard time visualizing what it looks like.

I bought a batch of cord locks from index. They also sell some nice Nato watch straps, that I use on my dive watch btw.

A note on the cord locks; I don't know what material the spring is made from, so their life span may be limited. So far just one dive trip w/ 16 salt water dives on them. So far no problems.

I'll take some pictures this weekend and post them.

Henrik

having had one tear on me and purchased a replacement i use the thinner bungee a few other people mentioned. easier to install, less stress on the mount.

Also, i only use one hole and tie knots at the top instead of looping thru 2 holes and securing with zip ties. dont know if it helps with the stress but it sure makes sizing much easier.

I bought a batch of cord locks from index. They also sell some nice Nato watch straps, that I use on my dive watch btw.

A note on the cord locks; I don't know what material the spring is made from, so their life span may be limited. So far just one dive trip w/ 16 salt water dives on them. So far no problems.

I'll take some pictures this weekend and post them.

Henrik

Henrik
The link has a lot of cool gadgets, but after searching the website, I realized that I have a few bungee locks that I bought for one of my jackets. I liked the ones on the website better as they appear to be more compact. I have attached a pic. Hopefully this is what you were referring to. If not, I guess it is just another option.

Thanks for the idea. It works great! I will give it a shot this weekend.

Chris

Attachments

• bungee.jpg
    bungee.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 473
That is exactly how I have it rigged. The only difference being, I bought cord locks with 2 smaller holes for the cord, rather than 1 bigger hole for both cords. I figured that that way, I wouldn't be able to accidentally pull the cord lock off the cord.

I've looked at jacket cord locks, which gave me an idea; On jackets like The North Face, the cord lock is fixed to the garment with a loop of ribbon. That way, when you pull on the cord, the lock stays put, and you just tighten the cord loop. A similar set-up on the mount would allow much easier one-handed tension adjustment.

Henrik

I have the loops on mine set slightly larger than they should be. This way they fit nicely on a wide variety of wetsuits.

With thick wetsuits, the bottom timer is lower on my arm. If I'm diving with no wetsuit, the bottom timer goes further up my arm. No need for any "cord locks"...no point in making something more complicated than it needs to be. :)

57435d1238644316-dissatisfied-dss-boots-bungee.jpg

That is the last place I would want loops to snag stuff on. Especially diving here. I do it the hard way since I have dry glove ring on my drysuit. When switching to warm water I change the bungees out to my warm water set. Only happens once a year. Using 2 zip ties each to hold the ends together underneath for a clean look. One of the nice things about bungees is one loop failing is not a big deal, and more importantly you didn't loose your gauge. More manufactures should switch to bungee, but Tobin fills in where the manufacturers fail. I have two compass mounts from DSS, wrist and scooter, plus a Uwatec BT mount. None have failed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom