Can You 'Really' Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only been diving for a few months now, but I feel fortunate to have had such great instructors and mentors to guide me through this new part of my life. My usual dive buddy and I dive with the instructor he got his c-card from all the time. He is a former navy/oil rig diver who has never once made us feel like we are a burden on him. The same goes for the owner of our LDS. Always helpful and passing along valuable info about the best spots and how to be prepared to have enjoyable successful dives. My LDS has even rented me gear for very close to free a few times. (Usually, when I needed exposure gear or more than two tanks) Actions like these build a strong sense of community and make me so very appreciative to get to be a part of that community.

That said... I have never asked anyone to take responsibility for me. I come prepared to dive and prepared to support my buddy(s). Do I know everything? God, I hope not! I love to learn and I think that might be one of the biggest reasons I dive. I used to jump out of perfectly good airplanes and left that because after it becomes routine and you stop learning and challenging yourself things get dangerous pretty fast.

Diving opens up all sorts of new experiences and I encourage my friends and family members to participate whenever I can.

"The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences."
— Chris McCandless

I hope that if I ever achieve MSDT I never forget where I came from and how I can help give others achieve their goals.

Last edited:
Welcome awakefie, and enjoy the adventure you are embarking upon. With the support and encouragement you've received, combined with your positive attitude, I can only hope that you're in for a wonderful ride.

Betty, I have agreed with everything you said and my side (tampabay) I was told that I am no longer welcome at the meets and greets... Do you believe that???? I have not insulted anyone. I just stated that I've unable to find a diver to go out with on a "regular basis". It's probablu something as simple as our schedule or the types of dive that they are going on I haven't done yet and I'm discourage from going so I don't go.... Now it seems to me I have more enemies than allies in tampa. I'm not happy with that.:depressed::depressed:

Betty, I have agreed with everything you said and my side (tampabay) I was told that I am no longer welcome at the meets and greets... Do you believe that???? I have not insulted anyone. I just stated that I've unable to find a diver to go out with on a "regular basis". It's probablu something as simple as our schedule or the types of dive that they are going on I haven't done yet and I'm discourage from going so I don't go.... Now it seems to me I have more enemies than allies in tampa. I'm not happy with that.:depressed::depressed:

Tampa is not the end of the rainbow. It's a big world out there, with lots of good divers, willing to support those who need it.

Tampa is not the end of the rainbow. It's a big world out there, with lots of good divers, willing to support those who need it.

Very true. But this is my home. What do I do?????? I need to dive but with who????????????

Very true. But this is my home. What do I do?????? I need to dive but with who????????????

Well, I don't know you or whatever your limitations are, but why not partner up with your LDS to suggest an appropriate dive op. Hopefully, you can meet up with some people who are more tolerant and less judgemental.

Well, I don't know you or whatever your limitations are, but why not partner up with your LDS to suggest an appropriate dive op. Hopefully, you can meet up with some people who are more tolerant and less judgemental.

Yesterday I posted to her that she is welcome to go to any M&G. They are set-up for everyone. Just like the shore dives are that I and others set-up. I also pm'd her and posted to her about joining our local dive shop to give her more opportunities to find people at her level that she could grow with. In turn she told me I was trying to throw her off of SB :confused: I then assured her that was not the case that both the lds and SB are tools. I also posted the prices and benefits available to her if she does join the LDS. I had to call to find out - as she didn't take the time to do it. I also pm'd her last week and posted to her yesterday boats that cater to less experienced divers, offer a full-service DM, and she could gain more experience with, and that have easy on and off access. I also pm'd her last week about a new member that had joined that was a perfect match as a buddy for her.

Many others have done the same as I over the last two summers to help her and encourage her. After all of this she calls the other members unkind! After they have bent over backwards to help. I can't fathom what more we could or should do. No matter what is tried she is still upset... pm's nasty indignent messages and cries she is being left out or picked on.:confused: Just like she flew to this thread and said it was about her :shakehead: I have always pm'd and been as kind as possible but there is only so much one can do.

Honestly, I have to say I am very sad to see this thread is still going on. Though the OP did not intend to single StingGirl out (they don't even know each other), StingGirl has made it about her. With the way this thread has carried on... StingGirl must have hurt feelings. I'm guessing she wishes now she hadn't thrown her hat in, yet again, but it is too late now. That said, out of respect for her as a person, can this thread just not die?

Last edited:
When we go diving, we are going for fun. (unless otherwise designated) We have enough of our own gear to haul around back and forth up and down for those divers that feel the other divers are only there for their own pack-mule purposes.

My reference to the assistance of a DM was for inexperienced divers who "NEED" assistance.

Ha, haha, hahahaha. When you are working as a DM (key word -- WORKING) then it is your JOB. You are not diving for fun, you are doing your job. If you have fun doing your job then all the better. It sounds like you are not, so maybe you need to find a job you enjoy.

I don't go out often, on charter boats, but when I do I usually have to let the DMs know that I will handle my own gear (tech thing). If I don't, and I turn around for more than 20 seconds, I will turn back around and all my stuff will be set up. That is part of what DMs get paid/tipped for.

To answer some of your questions,

-I can carry all 100+lbs of my rig to and from the boat myself
-I can doff and donn my singles or my doubles rig both in water and on the boat
-I can get out of the boat myself and into any boat, including a zodiac in light to very heavy seas (6-10ft) myself
-I don't depend on my team members for anything, but do expect them to do their parts if able. If not then I will handle the situation, or they will, and make sure we all get to the surface as safely as possible.

DMs like you, that have a sense of entitlement towards the customer are not better than customers that have a sense of entitlement towards you. You are in a service industry and it is your JOB to service the customer.

I don't think DMs should be abused either. Their job, however, is to help on the boat (and for many charters that includes setting customer's gear up). If you don't like that then don't try to change the job, find a new one that fits what you enjoy.

Your kind of diver are far and few in between. Seems like "experience" divers have forgotten what it was like when they were "new" divers.
If the shoe fits, wear it.

Really? I feel bad for you that this has been your experience. I have always found nearly all experienced divers more than happy to dive with me and give me assistance. And these days, even though I am relatively inexperienced myself, I am more than happy to dive with newer divers than me on most dives. There are, of course, some dives where I want a regular buddy that I've dived with a lot (or want a solo dive) but largely I enjoy diving with very new divers :)

Yesterday I posted to her that she is welcome to go to any M&G. They are set-up for everyone.

Evidently there are others in the Tampa Bay area who do not share your feeling about Stinggirl being welcome at the M&G's

I don't want you at any Meet and Greets. Please, stay away from them. The Meet and Greets are for friendly people who want to make friends, discuss diving, have a good time, plan dives, and in general be happy. I don't get the impression you are looking for any of those things.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom