Which BP/W Setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue, usually the crotch strap has no resin, so it's a little softer on the nether regions. I haven't personally noticed any difference in the stiffness or softness of webbing on harnesses except in cases where it was well worn.

Okay, thanks. I have only handled the Halcyon harness, so I wasn't sure if that was typical or if there were differences.

There are several non-hog harnesses that work with a BP/W setup that are made for more comfort if that is what you are looking for.

No, I really liked just the basic harness; no complaints there.

I can relate to your buckle paranoia. I'm always afraid that I'm going to catch on the buckle and accidentally ditch my weights. But, it's supposed to operate that way so you can easily ditch in an emergency. What kind of buckle was it that you thought was so fantastic?

It was the stainless buckle that came on the Halcyon Eclipse that I rented. It just felt super secure and reliable. I thought the cam band buckles were pretty nice too. I wouldn't really have given them a second thought if it hadn't been for the tenuous nature of the weight-belt buckle. That was a black plastic one (no idea of brand, was a rental) and it didn't really "snap" into place, but always seemed like it was already on the way to opening, if you even looked at it wrong.

Because it was a rental rig, I had all of my weight (except the backplate) on the belt, so I kept imagining these rocket-type ascents if/when the weight belt fell off. Not pleasant!

Eventually, I took to putting the weight belt buckle under the front piece of the crotch strap, so that the crotch strap would protect it somewhat. Not ideal, but I checked, and the weights would still have been ditchable. I also showed my dive buddy what I was doing. I figured it was much more likely that a disaster would occur if my weight belt fell off than it would be that I would have to ditch the weights, and the ditching would only have been slightly slower.

After that, I have no desire to have that sort of buckle on any of my own dive gear.

B.

Edited to add: Here's a photo showing the buckles on the Halcyon.

Attachments

• HEclipseMC.jpg
    HEclipseMC.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Don't get too caught up in buying a system from one manufacturer.

BPW's for the most part are (or should be) modular.

My wings are Oxycheq. My plates Diverite. My STA's Oxycheq, My bands Diverite (I think), my storage pouch Halcyon, my weight pockets XS, my corrugted hoses Halcyon, my harness not sure and my crotch strap and buckles DR, I think.
Agreed. I've also been trying to piece together a bp/w setup. I've found that it's a lot easier on the wallet to search around and get different parts from different suppliers. Also, there's nothing wrong with getting used gear as long as it's been well taken care of.

my 2 pennies

The package at ST is a real deal IMHO. I am using an Oxycheq wing and its extremely compact and packs real small! And of cos, no STA needed.

Since you mentioned single tank diving I feel compelled to chime in, even though it may apear to be a shameless plug...oh well. If I can help you out then it's a win win.

Take a look at the Freedom Plate. It's stainless but a little lighter than the others. It's very streamlined and fits better than the other plates because of the cut away design that allows the plate and tank to sink down into the valley between your shoulder blades. The plate is formed to fit the curves of your body, so it can be used with a minimum of exposure protection and no obnoxious edges to chafe your shoulder blades or waist area.
This is the best fitting and most streamlined plate available for dedicated single tank diving.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FreedomPlate

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...t-systems/301048-new-freedom-plates-here.html

BP&W are modular, and for use with doubles (twins) pretty much any brand plate can be used with any brand wing with no real difference in utility or function. All that's really needed is at least one set of holes in the plate and wing at 11" centers.

For single tank use it's not quite that simple.

Most wings and most plates can be used together, but there are potential compatibility issues regarding camband slot location.

In addition mixing and matching brands may defeat some ease of use features that can realized by using a DSS wing with a DSS plate.

Tobin

BPW's for the most part are (or should be) modular.

My wings are Oxycheq. My plates Diverite. My STA's Oxycheq, My bands Diverite (I think), my storage pouch Halcyon, my weight pockets XS, my corrugted hoses Halcyon, my harness not sure and my crotch strap and buckles DR, I think.

yep, mix & match is a good thing, sometimes.......

I have the DSS plate and 17 lb wing. The wing comes off without any effort and make clean up easy. I dive in FL with a single and I love it. I dove a black diamond for years and this holds the tank more securely than my old BC.
My son just also just purchased one.
Those DSS wings look nice, but one thing I keep wondering with those, does that inflate hose being in the middle get in trouble with the first stage? I have an Oxycheck 30# and have been looking for a really small travel wing, but one thing I like about my Oxycheq is the inflate hose is off to the left. Since I have an Atomic reg with that big turret first it just seems like there would be issues.

Those DSS wings look nice, but one thing I keep wondering with those, does that inflate hose being in the middle get in trouble with the first stage? I have an Oxycheck 30# and have been looking for a really small travel wing, but one thing I like about my Oxycheq is the inflate hose is off to the left. Since I have an Atomic reg with that big turret first it just seems like there would be issues.

This has been discussed at length many many times. It's a non issue, at least for those who have actually used a DSS wing......

Tobin

Since you mentioned single tank diving I feel compelled to chime in, even though it may apear to be a shameless plug...oh well. If I can help you out then it's a win win.

I don't think there's anything wrong with chiming in, since you mention that it's your product. Like you say, it gives the potential for a win/win. I think it's great when someone like you or Tobin contributes, as it gives us more information. (I only mind it when people step in and suggest their own product without letting you know that it is theirs.)

I really like the looks of the Freedom plate, but for myself the regular-sized plates have proven to be too long/tall, as I'm really short-waisted. (I rented a Halcyon rig; their Standard sized plate is 15.5" tall and was too tall for me; their Small plate is 14" tall and did fit me -- maybe it could even have been shorter and still fit). I think I've read that the Freedom plate is either 15" tall (long), which fills me with sadness :depressed: (<---- overstated for effect, but it is a nifty plate!)

Do you think you would ever consider making a shorter version of your plate? I'd be first in line for one! :)

B.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom