Which BP/W Setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So for those actually just asking a question it's an issue then?

It does seem like a logical question, even if it has been covered in the past. I wondered the same thing, since I seem to end up with a lot "going on" in the center where the first stage and hoses are.

I believe you (Tobin) when you say it's a non-issue, but I wouldn't mind hearing a little bit more elucidation, if possible. I'm one of those weighing the pros and cons (for me) of various set-ups prior to purchasing

B.

I currently use a DSS 20lb. wing with an Atomic M1 reg for single tank diving. I've never expirienced a problem with the inflator hose location on the wing and the M1 first stage.

Apparently.

Tobin

Given that other wings have the inflator off to the side (as I understand it), and the DSS one is in the center,I would be interested to know why you chose to put the inflator in the center, and what the benefits are to having it there.

I don't mean that to sound like a challenge that you have to defend; it's more that when I've read your posts in other threads, I've come away with the idea that you have an engineering mindset, and that there are good reasons for why you design things the way you do.

I apologize if this has been gone over in the past. I have done some searches and read past threads, but I don't remember this if I did, indeed, read it.

Thank you for your time,
B.

Given that other wings have the inflator off to the side (as I understand it), and the DSS one is in the center,I would be interested to know why you chose to put the inflator in the center, and what the benefits are to having it there.

I don't mean that to sound like a challenge that you have to defend; it's more that when I've read your posts in other threads, I've come away with the idea that you have an engineering mindset, and that there are good reasons for why you design things the way you do.

I apologize if this has been gone over in the past. I have done some searches and read past threads, but I don't remember this if I did, indeed, read it.

Thank you for your time,
B.

Easier to vent, no "shoulder roll" required. Just like most doubles wings.

Tobin

Just remember its METAL, If its just a hair too long go to a Machine shop or a welder and a Plasm cutter will zip off some if the material can be cut off without damaging a slot. In fact, take one to a fabricator and ask them if they can make you one or 50 just like it. The STA can be easily made with 1/4 SS. Weld up flat bar or hydraulicly bend it.

Anything can be modified!

I like fixn stuff for me!

Steve

Just remember its METAL, If its just a hair too long go to a Machine shop or a welder and a Plasm cutter will zip off some if the material can be cut off without damaging a slot.

Hi Steve,

I agree - I like to customize stuff for myself too.

In the case of a backplate though, I'm not sure it would help. I'm attaching a photo of a Dive Rite plate to this post (I didn't want to use the example of a DSS, Oxycheq, or Halcyon plate because they do come in small sizes.)

First of all, the slots look too close to the top and bottom edges to be able to cut material.

Second, even if there were removable material above and below the slots, the webbing would still be weaving through the plate in the same places.

For example, on the Standard sized Halcyon plate I used (I tried on a Small, which fit great, but it was not available for rental), once I tightened the waist strap around my waist, the top of the plate and, hence, the shoulder straps were too high. They were basically above my shoulders (or, too far up for things to fit right). And cutting the plate would not have changed that relationship.

In fact, one of the boat operators suggested that I loosen the shoulder straps so that the top of the plate would sink down. But of course that doesn't actually work because the waist band (and my waist) are not negotiable. The waist is where it is :cool2:

Luckily, DSS, Oxycheq, and Halcyon all make smaller sized plates, and don't just have one "Standard" size.

I think the Freedom plate looks like a fantastic plate for singles use (my intended use), but in looking at it I think I would similarly not be able to modify it. :( That's why I asked ZKY if he might consider making smaller one(s). (Hope... hope!) The side-view photo is a Freedom plate. (Maybe there is some leeway for the strap routing for the Freedom plate -- I'm not sure since the top is a bit different than anything I've tried. Perhaps the lower two of the shoulder strap slots could be used and the top slot bypassed?)

Okay, now I HAVE really hijacked the thread :blush: Hopefully this will be useful information for others, in order to offset that.

B.

Attachments

• DIR15432-2T.jpg
    DIR15432-2T.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 36
  • backplate3.jpg
    backplate3.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 41
Apparently.

Tobin
So I think your 17# wing looked like a possible travel option for me but I had a question about it and this is how you respond.. very professional way to treat a once potential customer asking a simple question. :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom