Which BP/W Setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I think your 17# wing looked like a possible travel option for me but I had a question about it and this is how you respond.. very professional way to treat a once potential customer asking a simple question. :shakehead:

I answered your questions twice.

A little simple logic should tell you reg interference is not a problem. There are 1000's of DSS singles wings in service. If it was a problem actual users would be complaining about it here.

If it was a real problem I would change the design. Why would I want to keep selling something problematic? *Where* a hole is punched for a fitting isn't exactly rocket science.

OTOH some of our competitors try really hard to get new divers to think it's a problem.........

Tobin

It's absolutely amazing what a feller can do with a file, a Dremel Tool, a rasp, a drill with some good bits, some Emery cloth . . . .

Hey, guys, it ain't rocket science.

You can even buy little thingies to put "tooling swirls" on you back plate if you're a mind to.

In fact, I think I made one of the coolest, lightest weight aluminum back plates that was ever made. I don't know who owns it now, but it is like, really, really KEWL.

the K

Hi Steve,

I agree - I like to customize stuff for myself too.

In the case of a backplate though, I'm not sure it would help. I'm attaching a photo of a Dive Rite plate to this post (I didn't want to use the example of a DSS, Oxycheq, or Halcyon plate because they do come in small sizes.)

First of all, the slots look too close to the top and bottom edges to be able to cut material.

Second, even if there were removable material above and below the slots, the webbing would still be weaving through the plate in the same places.

For example, on the Standard sized Halcyon plate I used (I tried on a Small, which fit great, but it was not available for rental), once I tightened the waist strap around my waist, the top of the plate and, hence, the shoulder straps were too high. They were basically above my shoulders (or, too far up for things to fit right). And cutting the plate would not have changed that relationship.

In fact, one of the boat operators suggested that I loosen the shoulder straps so that the top of the plate would sink down. But of course that doesn't actually work because the waist band (and my waist) are not negotiable. The waist is where it is :cool2:

Luckily, DSS, Oxycheq, and Halcyon all make smaller sized plates, and don't just have one "Standard" size.

I think the Freedom plate looks like a fantastic plate for singles use (my intended use), but in looking at it I think I would similarly not be able to modify it. :( That's why I asked ZKY if he might consider making smaller one(s). (Hope... hope!) The side-view photo is a Freedom plate. (Maybe there is some leeway for the strap routing for the Freedom plate -- I'm not sure since the top is a bit different than anything I've tried. Perhaps the lower two of the shoulder strap slots could be used and the top slot bypassed?)

Okay, now I HAVE really hijacked the thread :blush: Hopefully this will be useful information for others, in order to offset that.

B.
The problem you're always going to have with a conventional plate like the DR shown in the image or any similar plate, is that vertically they are flat. Your back however is not flat. Do conventional plates work to hold a tank on your back?, yes, but so does a plain harness strapped directly to the cylinder with no plate at all. People used to dive this way all the time BTW. Was it comfotable, not really, but it worked. So do conventional plates, they work to but they are not very comfortable when compared to a Freedom Plate. I had this exact problem when I started using a conventional flat plate w/ channel (like all the others out there). The top of the plate would ride on my shoulder blades and stick out away from my body. I donned the plate one day with no tank and went and looked in the mirror standing sideways to see what the thing actually looked like on my back from a side profile view. The plate rested OK on the mid plane right above the lower back curve but when it got to the shoulder blades and above it left contact with my back and was sticking out in mid air somewhere back and away from me. The shoulder straps came out from the plate and were in mid air all the way untill they reached my traps. This is when I decided to reinvent the back plate and figure out something that would bypass shoulder blades and allow the plate and tank to follow the natural curve of the back and spine.

I know exactly what problem you were having with the flat plate. Seriously, if you were able to dive with no BC you would be better off using a straight tank harness (no plate) and just let the tank ride directly on your back. At least the bare would fit into to the valley between your shoulder blades.

There was another very short woman that I had to custom make a very short plate for. She was 5'2" and had a very short torso. I ended up cutting a 1" section of plate out right above the top set of cam band slots (below the horizontal shoulder strap slots) and welding it back together. By the time it was ground and sanded the splice was invisible on the front. On the back I welded an additional tab over the splice for insurance. By the time the wing and tank are in place you wouldn't see that anyway.
I will do this at no additional charge.

Wow, I really did get hijacked. I set out to get some opinions on two package deals because I really wanted the DSS package but wondered if the it was worth the extra C note. I just wanted to save some money. I've come to the conclusion that I should go with the cheaper package from ScubaToys. And if I find that I don't like the backplate, or any other component for that matter, I'll just live with it until I can afford to get something different. Of course, if Tobin or ZKY would like to donate some product samples to a poor diver, I would gladly accept.

Hi ZKY,

You would shorten a Freedom plate? Sweet! I will get in touch with you :)

I do want to say though, just to be fair (for anyone else who reads this thread and is short waisted) that even the Standard (15.5") plate was not uncomfortable on me, if I mentally subtracted too-tall part. I tried on their Small plate in the store (14") and I think it would fit me just fine and probably be decently comfortable. Even the Standard plate was way, way more comfortable and better fitting than any of the many jacket BCs I tried on, for me.

But I really like the Freedom plate and the thought behind it, for single tank use, so I'm thrilled that you could (and would) make a shorter one. :bounce:

I had initially thought (even though I loved the Freedom plate), "Well, if I dive in double tanks some day, then the usual style plate would be more versatile." Now I've come to the conclusion that if that ever happens (and it very well may not), then I would probably want a whole 'nother setup anyway, with a dedicated plate, larger wing, etc. And thankfully, there are manufacturers who do make smaller plates (DSS, Oxycheq, Halcyon).

B.

Last edited:
Wow, I really did get hijacked. I set out to get some opinions on two package deals because I really wanted the DSS package but wondered if the it was worth the extra C note.

buddha, I am really sorry, and I have to take responsibility for the hijack. I initially felt that my questions dovetailed with yours, and so -- like having two antique stores next to each other -- thought that adding my comments/questions to your thread would benefit both of us. That said, it branched out, and if you felt that your query was ignored as a result I apologize.

B.

Last edited:
The problem you're always going to have with a conventional plate like the DR shown in the image or any similar plate, is that vertically they are flat. Your back however is not flat.

Eric:
Any limitations or anything special with which I need be concerned using my wings?

And have you ever thought about punching a couple holes in the bottom if the plate to bungee a DSMB for instance?

Thanks.
Tim

Eric:
Any limitations or anything special with which I need be concerned using my wings?

And have you ever thought about punching a couple holes in the bottom if the plate to bungee a DSMB for instance?

Thanks.
Tim

The measurement from the top of the top cam slots to the bottom of the bottom cam slots is 9", and the slots are 3 1/2" long. That leaves a 2" gap between them.
If you measure the slots on your wings and they fall within this configuation they will work.
Any holes of any size can be drilled along the base. Another option is to put a D-ring on the crotch strap on the back right below the plate. The other thing I do is put stuff on a D-ring placed as far back as I can get it on my right side waist strap. The plate is 12" wide at the base so it's pretty far back there and out of the way.

you mght consider supporting your local dive shop and see if thye would let yo try one out to see what suits you best. it may cost a smidge more but you might be surprised what service si worth.

i dive with a variety and now sell several different brands, my favorite wing is my DACOR II, but I don't notice much difference with any others i use. Handy clips, good intgrated system, commfortable fit, and some common sense rules at my shop!

Hi Patrick,

I can definitely appreciate a local dive shop. Unfortunately, I Googled like crazy, and it's about a 4-hour round trip driving to my closest one, and they don't happen to deal in the type of BC I'm looking for. In addition, that particular area is not one I go to for diving or other errands, so it's not like I'm passing by. That makes it lose the "local" factor for me.

There is a dive shop that looks nice in Raleigh, NC, which is about 8-hours round trip for me. I have a friend who lives in that town who dives, and that shop has a pool, so I might try to go down there to buy regs, when the time comes.

I'm on a budget, like most people, but nevertheless I'm not one to shop price alone. I want the product I want, and within reason, will buy from whomever treats me (and other customers) well, regardless of whether or not it is the cheapest.

It would be really fun to have a shop within an hour of my house, for some local hanging out and dive talking, but... I'm too far out in the sticks.

B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom