Master.........Really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The fact that the OP chose to post this into Advanced Scuba (?) seems to illustrate that there are some very mislead conceptions/assumptions about what the MSD qualification represents.

It is not...

Advanced Diving forum, Special Forum Rules
...the transitional process of migrating from the traditional recreational divng envelope into more advanced areas such as advanced nitrox and trimix diving, decompression diving, cave diving and wreck penetration diving, blackwater diving, etc.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...e-read-special-forum-rules-terms-service.html

Don't you think that Master diver at 50 dives logged in the sea is no worse than Dive Master with 60 Dives logged in a muddy puddle.

Don't you think that Master diver at 50 dives logged in the sea is no worse than Dive Master with 60 Dives logged in a muddy puddle.

Different environments require different skill sets.

I totally agree, I was on a dive boat recently where there was a recent master diver. The guy was a real tool! He was totally lost on one dive when the current got strong and visibility was poor. I have been diving for 25 years and do not think 50 dives qualifies anyone to be titled master diver. Maybe the criteria should be change like multiple years diving with 100 dives or more logged and specialties like Rescue, Cave, and Wreck added to obtain Master certification.

My two cents!!
Cheers,
Gary

Will I be able to get a PADI patch and specialty card?

Interesting discussion although I do detect a bit of the old, "my agency is better than yours," argument going on. Putting that aside, the certification or title is often different from the diver's experience level and this goes both ways as I've seen a Navy Master Diver rescued by a certified diver and many, many more iterations and variations of this. In this particular case, the Navy diver hadn't had a lot of, or perhaps any diving in the tropical tidal zone, with lots of staghorn coral, strong rips, etc so was a bit out of his element. It happens. Take a title, or certification, age, or even experience and you can find exceptions to the rule. The agencies have done a bang up job for the most part in doing what they do so well and that is train and certify the masses, while not overlooking the individual.

"Again, my opinion. I don't think someone with a couple of classes and 50 dives should bear the title of "Master Diver". How about a new name?"
Jar546

Here we go again, someone who obviously doesn't look into topics prior to wagging his tongue! I AM A MASTER SCUBA DIVER and am damn proud of it, I don't have hundreds of dives, but, what I do have is numerous courses that have helped me become a much more confident and compident diver. I have put in the hours studying, and practicing with some of the best instructors around, I have paid for the programs and the student packages and now have a nice library to refer to when I wish to brush up on something (DO YOU). I feel sorry for someone like you who has to come on this discussion board to attempt to cause friction instead of being interested in teaching to and learning from other divers. Perhaps a bit of jealousy is the reason you have to castigate others who have taken the time and put in the effort to advance their knowledge and abilities in the game of Scuba.
I really take pity on folks like you who can only find fault in others, perhaps you don't like what looks at you from the mirror so you have to vent in someway. Well it is people like you the keep me away from scuba board for long periods because I sometimes really have to put your type in their place. With that being said, I wish you the best of health and I hope you enjoy your dives.

Well, how about this:

Why in the world are we all so worried about what someone's rating is? Are they having fun? Do they care enough about their safety and competence to take enough classes to get any sort of rating at all? If so, I say GOOD FOR THEM!

And for the monumentally experienced who are wringing their hands about someone else's rating, are you spending enough time in the water, my friends, where we all find some peace?

It's not that it's an entirely irrelevant discussion, but SHEESH! Why don't we get on with our diving??

Just a thought there, folks.... veterans who think people shouldn't have whatever title they have are almost as bad as the people who get the rating so they can wave it around. Le'ts not forget we all got into this because our passion is being under water.

If we wanted to run around waving our ranks and ratings at each other, maybe our attitudes would be best served in a martial arts class.

As for me, I'm going diving. If I can help anyone else with their diving, I'm happy to serve the cause. If not, I've got plenty of my own to do.

....or have I completely missed the point?

I agree part of it is Put Another Dollar In (PADI), that goes for all of them, and yes I was a Master at my 50 Dives and yes after doubling that I know I have more experience, I’m I Jacques Cousteau reincarnate no way, but I believe I know my limitations and I keep that in scope. When I double my dives now, and double those dives, I’m sure I will be more experienced. So when do we start calling us Master Scuba Divers? Should it be 100 Dives and ten Specialties just wondering? Then the person who has 5000 dives under every specialty/condition including Equipment Repair with Duct Tape would be the Master. They would be saying your not a Master. Now if you hear this from your Master “Ready Are You? What know you of Ready? For Eight Hundred Years I have trained Jedi I mean Divers” WORRY!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom