Blue Angel - Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The answer I got when I asked "Why" was that they now use more contracted captains/boats, and that they've lost a lot of weights. I'm not unsympathetic to their plight, but at the same time it's a lot more work for me on a daily basis (I carry and take care of my better half's gear too). As I've mentioned in other threads... being in our 50's we LOVE valet diving, and will take that anyday of the week if the option is available. BA is unfortunately going in the wrong direction for our needs :( We've been with them for years and they are top notch and will suit most divers needs very nicely!

Doesn't BA still have lockers you could leave the weights in? I agree humping weights up 4 flights of stairs might not be so appealing after a day of diving...maybe make friends with someone on the ground floor? :)

I note Sideways is also toting a housed DSLR which would tend to make carrying weights to boot an especial nuisance. Though he's lucky his rig is at least smaller than mine and has those teeny S&S strobes instead of massive Ikelites :wink:

BA had "lockers" in April. They were concrete cubbies with plastic crates. My stuff was moved 3 times without my knowledge. After one dive I couldn't find my flip flops until another diver pointed at one of the dive master's feet! There was a lot of activity in the dive shop and I wouldn't recommend you leave any of your belongings there. Not even your most worn out old flip flops between dives. The Blue Angel hotel and restaurant were very good and I would recommend them. The dive shop not so much. Their new weight policy is no doubt a reaction to their stuff being stolen. Not so convenient for us. We are going to try someplace else next time.

BA had "lockers" in April. They were concrete cubbies with plastic crates. My stuff was moved 3 times without my knowledge. After one dive I couldn't find my flip flops until another diver pointed at one of the dive master's feet! There was a lot of activity in the dive shop and I wouldn't recommend you leave any of your belongings there. Not even your most worn out old flip flops between dives. The Blue Angel hotel and restaurant were very good and I would recommend them. The dive shop not so much. Their new weight policy is no doubt a reaction to their stuff being stolen. Not so convenient for us. We are going to try someplace else next time.
You can always stay and eat there but dive with another dive op. Blue XT~Sea picks up there, for one, and they'll safely store your gear for you (except wetsuit). And they have weights on the boat :)

Yes! They have lockers. We were just there in June. It was no big deal taking the weights from the boat to our locker each day. We had them right there when we did some shore diving so it was easy. Jose had extra weight with him on the boat. He is such a gem. One guy on one of our afternoon dives forgot his fins, so Jose gave him his fins and he did the whole dive with one old flimsy fin on! What a guy!!! Loved BA!!

It would be nice if BA remodeled the area next to the shop and installed a larger and more secure locker space. I think it would be pretty straight forward to build as many lockers as there are rooms. Everyone gets a locker key along with their room key. We kept about half of our gear in the storage area, but it wasn't secure at all and that made me somewhat nervous. I didn't mind keeping my weights, but storage becomes key if that is the policy.

I also think it is reasonable for management to tell people that the pool is for guests of the hotel, restaurant or dive shop only. It is something that a hotel so small can easily do.

We very much like BA and will likely return, but this is definitely an upgrade that would make a big difference.

I'd love to hear more of the story about your flip flops. Did you get them back from the DM? :) Did he get a tip?

yes, Blue Angel is pretty much the same.

We've been staying there for at least 6 or 7 years now and continue to call it our Cozumel home.

They do have new additions to the dive staff, and I personally like the new guys and like diving with them as well as my old friend Mateo & our pal Jose.

we spent 18 days at BA in May, and plan on being back next Spring as well.

Doesn't BA still have lockers you could leave the weights in? I agree humping weights up 4 flights of stairs might not be so appealing after a day of diving...maybe make friends with someone on the ground floor? :)

Thats what we did this time after the first two days!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom