Blue Angel - Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not stayed at the BA but have heard a lot of good things about it - so on out last trip my wife and I walked down to check the place out and have lunch. Was the worst meal we have ever had on the island. My wife actually threw up her lunch before we made it back to where we were staying. Based on our experience I doubt that she would agree to stay there and I would not eat there again.

Wow, I've never had a bad meal there. How much tequila did she have with lunch? ;^)

We have lunch after diving or go to happy hour a few times each trip. Always good, never a problem.

My wife had the chicken sandwich.

I ordered a burger - lettuce tomato and mayo.
It came with cheese mushrooms and onions - no lettuce no mayo no tomato....

I have not stayed at the BA but have heard a lot of good things about it - so on out last trip my wife and I walked down to check the place out and have lunch. Was the worst meal we have ever had on the island. My wife actually threw up her lunch before we made it back to where we were staying. Based on our experience I doubt that she would agree to stay there and I would not eat there again.

Any state health department or the Department of Agriculture will tell you that it takes 48 hours for the vast majority of food born illnesses to show signs of sickness from the time one comes into contact with them. Most of the public doesn't believe this and want to blame the last meal they ate, but that's not the case. One exception would be a chemical hazard in a food, ie someone accidently dumps some dish detergent in the mash potatoes. These have a much shorter time line to sickness.

I would just looking back approximately 36-48 at any suspect meals, conditions or servers and that is most likely where she picked it up. Assuming it is a food born illness.

In addition, most food born illnesses these days are caused by poor employee sanitation and would have a more widespread effect than just your wife. If the two of you ate at all the same restaurants and were served by the same servers, although possible, it's unlikely that you would not have come in contact with it as well.

PH

As others have said, if your wife was ill that soon after eating it is unlikely that the meal had anything to do with it.

I stay there, and I eat there a lot. It's always been good.

Any state health department or the Department of Agriculture will tell you that it takes 48 hours for the vast majority of food born illnesses to show signs of sickness from the time one comes into contact with them.

I don't buy that. That timetable is what is required for most cases to go away. I am confident that my two cases of food poisoning happened within a few hours of ingesting the offending food.

[h=2]according to the Mayo Clinic

Symptoms[/h]By Mayo Clinic Staff

Food poisoning symptoms vary with the source of contamination. Most types of food poisoning cause one or more of the following signs and symptoms:

• Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Watery diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain and cramps
  • Fever
Signs and symptoms may start within hours after eating the contaminated food, or they may begin days or even weeks later. Sickness caused by food poisoning generally lasts from a few hours to several day

My wife had the chicken sandwich.

I ordered a burger - lettuce tomato and mayo.
It came with cheese mushrooms and onions - no lettuce no mayo no tomato....

You probably got lucky. Mayo in Mexico.... not gonna do that. I pretty much avoid mayo in any 'iffy' location anywhere in the world.

I think the old it takes 48 hours to show up is a wives tale, sure there are some less virulent viruses that take longer to effect you and show the symptoms, but others can give you symptoms within an hour or two, SA - staphycoccus something or other, can get you quickly and it's available on under cooked meats and lots of creamy dishes or sauces (Mayo), all it takes is one sneeze or unwashed hand to contaminate the food after its been cooked or prepared, reused (bowls of condiments) and if you have a particularly weak constitution you're going to be feeling nasty and probably puking in an hour or two, having nasty stomach aches for a little while, but luckily that one goes away pretty quickly.

You probably got lucky. Mayo in Mexico.... not gonna do that. I pretty much avoid mayo in any 'iffy' location anywhere in the world.
Not me. I use common sense, figuring the locals in "iffy" locations are just as adverse to food poisoning as us civilized Americans from the good old non-iffy USA where food poisoning is absolutely unheard of.

But the smart traveler would be wise to avoid all local food and all contact with anyone. That's the only way to be certain.

Back
Top Bottom