Blue Angel - Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those not staying with them, they ask how much weight is needed when checking in or making the reservation so that they will have it on the boat, and then of course they carry the necessary extra weight on board. When I send divers to them for a day or two because I am full, this is what they have done. Actually makes a lot of sense - lead is very expensive here!

I like this policy. I will just bring my little weight bag to carry them in. I like it because I enjoy night dives there after the dive shop closes. In the past the shop has always given me weight to keep for the night dive and then i would just put them back through the gate at the dive desk and push them in as far as I could to keep curious hands away from them. It will be much more convenient for me to have the weights through the week. And, I look forward to the exercise of carrying them back and forth from the boat.. all 100 or so feet. It also eliminates the whole, "How much weight do you need?" dispensing of lead prior to the dives. It makes the DM's jobs a little easier and helps to stop crushed toes and dents in the deck.

It would be nice if BA remodeled the area next to the shop and installed a larger and more secure locker space.
IMO the money spent on locker upgrades would be better spent on glassing in the outside hallways. I would trade a two minute walk with a couple pounds of lead for a quiet nights sleep any day (or night).

PH

My wife and I are considering staying here on our next trip in dec. she likes it because of the shore dive option - wasn't really hot on our boat checkout dives. Should we just use the house shop? The goal is to just do a bunch of easy diving while we're there, I like the idea of small boats and a dm that can keep an eye on us until we get acclimated. We're definitely beginners and it'll be first scuba in cozumel.

Nick, ever since I saw Christi's (Blue XTSea Diving) requirement that some divers use a dedicated divemaster under certain conditions, I have also promoted that idea.

Consider hiring a private divemaster for your first day of diving. There are skills to be learned when drift diving that really need the full attention of a divemaster or instructor. That is unreasonable to expect the one divemaster to show the others in a group things worth seeing while teaching you those skills.

By learning these skills your first day, it will help to alleviate possible apprehension and allow you to enjoy follow on dives. I do not recall what my suggested curriculum was but it was something as follows:

1) Initial descent and buoyancy check
2) Remaining in place in sandy areas
3) Face into current to minimize effect of current (low effort is key)
4) Stop behind coral to allow rest of group to catch up with you or just to rest.
5) Follow bubbles on top of coral structure while the rest of the group goes through swimthroughs (where you never/rarely see anything)
6) How to react to infrequent down currents. This can be simulated.
7) Simulate losing the group (ahead and behind of the group) and finding them
8) Buddy and solo ascent and surfacing separate from the group (simulated scenario with divemaster)
9) On surface response if separated from the group.
10) Deployment of Surface Marker Buoy. Surface only or while at safety stop as comfort level allows.

Nick, ever since I saw Christi's (Blue XTSea Diving) requirement that some divers use a dedicated divemaster under certain conditions, I have also promoted that idea.

Consider hiring a private divemaster for your first day of diving. There are skills to be learned when drift diving that really need the full attention of a divemaster or instructor. That is unreasonable to expect the one divemaster to show the others in a group things worth seeing while teaching you those skills.

By learning these skills your first day, it will help to alleviate possible apprehension and allow you to enjoy follow on dives. I do not recall what my suggested curriculum was but it was something as follows:

1) Initial descent and buoyancy check
2) Remaining in place in sandy areas
3) Face into current to minimize effect of current (low effort is key)
4) Stop behind coral to allow rest of group to catch up with you or just to rest.
5) Follow bubbles on top of coral structure while the rest of the group goes through swimthroughs (where you never/rarely see anything)
6) How to react to infrequent down currents. This can be simulated.
7) Simulate losing the group (ahead and behind of the group) and finding them
8) Buddy and solo ascent and surfacing separate from the group (simulated scenario with divemaster)
9) On surface response if separated from the group.
10) Deployment of Surface Marker Buoy. Surface only or while at safety stop as comfort level allows.

Sounds like a PADI Drift Diver course. Put another dollar in and get the patch... :)

My wife and I are considering staying here on our next trip in dec. she likes it because of the shore dive option - wasn't really hot on our boat checkout dives. Should we just use the house shop? The goal is to just do a bunch of easy diving while we're there, I like the idea of small boats and a dm that can keep an eye on us until we get acclimated. We're definitely beginners and it'll be first scuba in cozumel.
The op at Blue Angel is great, IMO. I have been diving with them for many years and have always had good experiences with them.

I have not stayed at the BA but have heard a lot of good things about it - so on out last trip my wife and I walked down to check the place out and have lunch. Was the worst meal we have ever had on the island. My wife actually threw up her lunch before we made it back to where we were staying. Based on our experience I doubt that she would agree to stay there and I would not eat there again.

I have not stayed at the BA but have heard a lot of good things about it - so on out last trip my wife and I walked down to check the place out and have lunch. Was the worst meal we have ever had on the island. My wife actually threw up her lunch before we made it back to where we were staying. Based on our experience I doubt that she would agree to stay there and I would not eat there again.
Interesting. I only had one lunch there, the "diver's lunch" of fish, veggies, and starch. It wasn't very memorable, but it wasn't bad either. What did you order?

The rooms there are nice. Spacious, good view from the balcony, great a/c. Location is far enough from town to escape the noise, yet I found it a very pleasant walk (especially since taxis were too expensive IMO). Nice pool too and a comfortable lobby area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom