Blue Angel - Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't drink the water.:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I don't buy that. That timetable is what is required for most cases to go away. I am confident that my two cases of food poisoning happened within a few hours of ingesting the offending food.

You may not believe me, but how about the Department of Agriculutre? Foodborne Illness: What Consumers Need to Know

Go to the bottom of the page for a chart that list the different bacteria.

As I said before, the majority of the illnesses take a while before the first symptoms occur. A couple take 6 hours and staph can hit you as soon as 30 minutes or as long as 6 hours, but most take at least a day.

Getting food poisoning has a violent affect on the body and can ruin a vacation. People are looking for someone to blame and the last meal is the easiest. The last thing eaten is usually not the cuprite but what actually triggers the vomiting after the bacteria has grown.

You are also wrong about the time table for it to go away. None are as short as a day or two, most last a week and some two weeks.

PH

---------- Post added October 12th, 2014 at 04:32 PM ----------

You probably got lucky. Mayo in Mexico.... not gonna do that. I pretty much avoid mayo in any 'iffy' location anywhere in the world.

I think the old it takes 48 hours to show up is a wives tale, sure there are some less virulent viruses that take longer to effect you and show the symptoms, but others can give you symptoms within an hour or two, SA - staphycoccus something or other, can get you quickly and it's available on under cooked meats and lots of creamy dishes or sauces (Mayo), all it takes is one sneeze or unwashed hand to contaminate the food after its been cooked or prepared, reused (bowls of condiments) and if you have a particularly weak constitution you're going to be feeling nasty and probably puking in an hour or two, having nasty stomach aches for a little while, but luckily that one goes away pretty quickly.

Actually mayo is a misunderstood food. It's not the mayo that usually get's people sick, it's the protein it is usually mixed with. Tuna, chicken, bologna salad sandwiches. When these meats are cut up or ground small, the offer more open surfaces for bacteria (if present) to spread more quickly at warmer temperatures. Think summer picnics, or improperly cooled food coolers on a boat.

Mayo itself is very acidic and stable.

PH

Last edited:
The reason is that they were losing a lot of weights. They still have weights on the boat for divers they pick up at other locations, but they don't carry near as many as they used to. You can still get a couple more pounds if you need it. I was there in late April - early May and it wasn't a big deal.

As to the original question, yes, Blue Angel is still a great place to stay and dive. Jorge and Cervando and Pony have all moved to Tres Pelicanos to hang with Jeanie after her split with the BA organization, but the new folks are fine. Jose and Matt (from Chicago) are still at BA, though Matt (from Canada) and his wife have gone back to the Great White North. See ya, hoser! :D

Shoot, Matt (wasn't it Atkins?) from Canada left for home? That's too bad, I liked Matt a lot and wish him the best. I hadn't heard of this news. Anyone know why?

Shoot, Matt (wasn't it Atkins?) from Canada left for home? That's too bad, I liked Matt a lot and wish him the best. I hadn't heard of this news. Anyone know why?
Yes.

But he's diving up off Vancouver Island and according to Cousteau that's the best diving in the world so you should envy him that wonderful cold water. Plus there's lots of mayo in Canada and the frigid air keeps it refrigerated no matter how long you leave it outside.

Plus there's lots of mayo in Canada and the frigid air keeps it refrigerated no matter how long you leave it outside.

Totally off topic- but I found it completely novel when I moved to the midwest we'd have parties in the winter and you'd put the beer out on the deck to stay cold. Or if there isn't enough room in the fridge after Christmas dinner, you just put the leftovers wrapped up outside until guests can take them home.

Maybe the subtleties of being a gringo in the Mexican culture were a bit beyond his grasp? He is a helluva drummer, though!

Throwing my oar into the food poisoning debate- I have eaten often at Blue Angel and it was great.
A general rule for eating in any country- eat the local food not their attempts at gringo comida.

The fish tacos at BA are among the best on the island.

Throwing my oar into the food poisoning debate- I have eaten often at Blue Angel and it was great.
A general rule for eating in any country- eat the local food not their attempts at gringo comida.

The fish tacos at BA are among the best on the island.
We've covered "local food" in Cozumel in another thread - it's not that easy to find and it's certainly not the stuff served at BA. If you mean Mexican food, that's a broad brush. And does gringo comida include pizza, sushi, and Chinese?

Your general rule would instruct tourists to the U.S. to avoid pizza in NYC, sushi in L.A., and that ridiculous stuff they call Tex-Mex in Texas.

We've covered "local food" in Cozumel in another thread - it's not that easy to find and it's certainly not the stuff served at BA. If you mean Mexican food, that's a broad brush. And does gringo comida include pizza, sushi, and Chinese?

Your general rule would instruct tourists to the U.S. to avoid pizza in NYC, sushi in L.A., and that ridiculous stuff they call Tex-Mex in Texas.

Anyone who would try to argue that pizza is not local food in NYC is just looking for an argument for the sake of it. I'll pass. :D

Anyone who would try to argue that pizza is not local food in NYC is just looking for an argument for the sake of it. I'll pass. :D

I'm thinking that Mossman was using a little sarcasm. :wink: He had me till I saw the tex mex in texas. haha :)

Also totally off topic: regarding Cousteau, I would love to go back and rewatch a compilation of his stuff. Does anyone know of a good place where I can do that...Netflix, buy cd's on Amazon, etc????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom