2016 Cozumel Tipping Etiquette?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tip a %, usually 20+ at the end but I dive with the same op all the time so same DM (owner) and captain. We usually by him dinner a few times and do other things so he makes out well. Our trips all go into the discounted range due to length. His prices have come up a bit but fuel prices are a concern. I would tip differently if I needed to dive with another dive op (daily, service, etc).

I think you will find the great part of the crews income is from tips, so it doesn't hurt to chat about it. I think one of my earliest trips through SB was to learn about that. I didn't know tipping was a 'thing.'

This is partly myth - it truly depends on the dive shop. Some shops use freelancers so that they don't have to pay all of the benefits or employment taxes that go along with full time employees. Some shops pay the minimum they can get away with which is not a livable wage. Some, the more expensive operations pay their crews wages they can actually live on - something to think about when price shopping for dive shops. My crew is paid very well, in fact may be one of the highest paid crews on the island - they are worth it! Payroll and fuel are our biggest expenses.

However, that does not in any way shape or form mean that they don't work hard to earn their tips. I encourage people to take care of their crew appropriately regardless of how much you think they are paid by their employer - their salary should not factor into the equation of how much you tip them.

We used to tip on the last dive of our trip, however, unless you know for certain that your crew will not change, it is easier to tip daily. Also, do consider shop crewmembers, who depending on the shop and services provided, take care of your gear or perhaps prepare the snacks for the day. Ask your Captain or Divemaster if and how tips are shared. As far as the amount that is something to determine with the type of service you receive....

Double S

My personal standard is $15 U.S. Or 200 Pesos
Google currently says that 200 Pesos is less than $11. $15 USD = 277 Pesos.

My personal standard is $15 U.S. Or 200 Pesos as a minimum for a 2-tank dive
Why is there a minimum tip? Gawd, I hate that. That said, $5/tank seems like nice minimum compared to those who don't tip. I usually get reasonably good service and tip $15 on a 2 tank trip with them storing and hopefully rinsing some of my gear. IFF I got some extra services, then more is fine.

I still think a 10% tip should be a nice thank you and it the waitress, bar tender, etc. doesn't like it - they should change jobs, but I usually go with the trend and leave 15-20%.

I tip hotel maids, which my daughter still refuses. I don't tip Coz taxis usually.

I appreciate my gear being drier each day than I could get it at the hotel, and I have great trust in my my Divemaster and Boat Captain, so I don't mind paying a premium, and tipping accordingly (I prefer daily), and enjoying my few days in paradise. Depends on the kind of service one expects (and gets), I guess. I think at least $10 US per 2 tank would be appropriate.

Google currently says that 200 Pesos is less than $11. $15 USD = 277 Pesos.

In my defense, the last time I was in Cozumel was late 2014, and the exchange rate was lower. I'll still probably use $15 as a standard, but bump up to 250 or 275 Pesos if I pay in Pesos. Or more, if the exchange rate keeps going up.

This is partly myth - it truly depends on the dive shop. Some shops use freelancers so that they don't have to pay all of the benefits or employment taxes that go along with full time employees. Some shops pay the minimum they can get away with which is not a livable wage. Some, the more expensive operations pay their crews wages they can actually live on - something to think about when price shopping for dive shops. My crew is paid very well, in fact may be one of the highest paid crews on the island - they are worth it! Payroll and fuel are our biggest expenses.

However, that does not in any way shape or form mean that they don't work hard to earn their tips. I encourage people to take care of their crew appropriately regardless of how much you think they are paid by their employer - their salary should not factor into the equation of how much you tip them.

Ouch. I hope people don't feel less guilty not tipping if they dive with your crew now...... highest paid and all. yikes. I don't tip a doctor as I assume he is well paid. I tip a waiter because I assume he is not.

I wasn't even referring to freelancers. I was referring to salaried crew with regular employee benefits who find tips are substantial part of their income. Of course I guess that could be they are just so good they get a lot of tips?

I still think it is true that tips are an important, substantial part of crew income. Perhaps I should have said it more like that the first time.

Last trip I tipped $15.00 per 2 tank dive. after all, it's shared by the DM and the captain. I tip each day.

I dont think a tip should be based upon how much someone gets paid lol. Even though Christi may pay more than most, it is still not very much compared to what say *I* make per hour. Plus it is a service industry job with hard hours, hard work, LOTS of work before and after you get picked up and dropped off usually 6 days a week.

I tip based upon level of service, but thats me. To each his own. Great input and comments here.

I tip based upon level of service, but thats me. To each his own. Great input and comments here.

Yeah, but you still have to decide on the amount whether it's $1.00 or $200 per tank like mediumone.

I personally and considering a simpler system to just tip by the pound. Figure the bigger the divemaster he is, the more food he needs, give the fat diver masters a bit more than the skinny ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom