Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tethers in a cave scream entanglement. I've had to push a cylinder ahead of me once. Once. I simply never lost contact with it while I was doing that. Personally, I try to avoid such narrow restrictions. In a cave, side mount tends to lend itself to passing through restrictions without having to detach and reattach gear. Your profile is wide, not tall, and most natural restrictions (not all) seem to accommodate that.

How about you explain where I am wrong instead of ranting.

nope, I don't do 6-7 hr cave dives. I have done them in ow however and more than a handful.

Anyway, there is zero evidence that I have seen that the dive in question was a planned 6-7 hour dive.

And if you read my post you would see that I did edit it tosay that there was a extended scrubber for the JJ that I was not aware of when I first posted...

Because where you went wrong was already pointed out to you in this thread by people with the experience. You just chose to ignore them. Let me highlight just a few examples:

1. Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink
2. Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink
3. Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink
4. Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink
5. Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink
6. Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink
7. Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink
8. Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink

And regarding the extended canister for the JJ, it was only released in the past year. Of the people I know doing dives up to 10 hours in their JJ's, none of them own the extended canister. Neither did the guys in Norway that you were referencing (I'm assuming you were talking about the Plura incident when you kept repeating Sweden).

You really think that the survivor of the Plural incident was not more thermally challenged than a Florida cave diver with a flooded suit would be on even the 6-7 hr dive you are claiming this was?

Have you even read the full account of the Plura accident? He had a heater. Huge difference.

Yes, I understand my open water gear tethering would be a bad idea in a cave, but still, I know this isn't the first time someone has doffed their rig and pushed it through a restriction. I still think it makes sense to snap it to the line before you shove it through.
Sliding gear around the line is no bueno. You'll almost certainly dislodge the line from a placement or wrap and then it'll be loosey goosey making your problem even worse.

Have you even read the full account of the Plura accident? He had a heater. Huge difference.
That the battery ran out long before he was thru deco..at which point extra cold became a factor.

I think flooding the drysuit to reduce the positive buoyancy is a good idea. I think the cold water entering inside the suit will soon be warmed by the body temperature & becoming part of the dry suit, a wet-drysuit, so to speak.

Our body contains 65% of water, about 50 liters of water for a 160lb guy. Warming up another liter (2%) water on the skin shouldn't be that much of a dent in lowering the core body temperature. We are not flushing the warm water out anyway. We are letting the cold water in, warming it up, keeping that warm water inside the suit & letting the air out.

If they planned an hour of bottom time, their bailout plan could have been 6 hours. I don't know specifically all of the gases they had, but it is reasonable. I agree it seems they planned to be visible from the cavern 60 minutes after they left, but that does not mean they would not have hours of deco left.

I think flooding the drysuit to reduce the positive buoyancy is a good idea. I think the cold water entering inside the suit will soon be warmed by the body temperature & becoming part of the dry suit, a wet-drysuit, so to speak.

Our body contains 65% of water, about 50 liters of water for a 160lb guy. Warming up another liter (2%) water on the skin shouldn't be that much of a dent in lowering the core body temperature. We are not flushing the warm water out anyway. We are letting the cold water in, warming it up, keeping that warm water inside the suit & letting the air out.

That's not how that works.

If they planned an hour of bottom time, their bailout plan could have been 6 hours. I don't know specifically all of the gases they had, but it is reasonable. I agree it seems they planned to be visible from the cavern 60 minutes after they left, but that does not mean they would not have hours of deco left.
Agree.

Back
Top Bottom