Requirement to do night dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As others have said, there is no rule from PADI. I'm a DM, and several of my friends are new-ish certified OW divers. We've gone on several night dives. They have not done a "night dive" course.

John, I assume this was when you were diving in Queensland. The legislation there states that dive companies have to adhere to the government set rules about diving OR set their own rules/guidelines. If they set their own, these are then considered to be the law.

Therefore, it is possible that the company had set their own rules/guidelines (I suppose someone who did not know better could call them policies), so then they are law and must be followed.

This can cover anything from who can dive what sites or depths, what they have to carry as equipment, how long they can dive etc.

Therefore, it is likely that the person who told you this did not even know themselves the Queensland law relating to diving.

Luckily, in NSW we have no such rules and the dive operators I use in Queensland have very sensible guidelines.
Very interesting. I would assume if a company sets their own laws they must be compliant (at least on major points) with the government laws, correct? Numerous different laws around, I assume.

Very interesting. I would assume if a company sets their own laws they must be compliant (at least on major points) with the government laws, correct? Numerous different laws around, I assume.
Yes, they can make the laws tighter easily, but would need good justification to make them more lax.

Hi a quick question.

By padi standard, is open water certified divers allow to do night dives? Not based on their individual competency level.

Is it the same for SSI?

I will like to add on to my post. I am freshly certified padi dive master. In my organization, my instructors do not allow ow to do night dives. Nt sure if they lazy to take more divers or adhering the guidelines. I have been flipping thru my instructor manual but nothing recorded or i might have missed out. I need a confirmation so i do not give wrong information to my students

I don't know with PADI, but with SSI to do a night dive, the diver should have the Night and Limited Visibility Specialty Certification.
This is indicated in the SSI International Standards.

This just begs for another OW/AOW depth limit discussion!:poke:
LOL. Do you mean it would be harder for the scuba police to see you at night, so you can go past the stone slab labeling - "60 ft. OW, thou shalt not pass"

I'm padi certified, and have asked the same question as you, as to whether open water divers can do night dives. I'm more of a Yes-or-No type of person, and the responses to the question are usually Never a Yes-or-No answer, but along the descriptive lines of... "It's really recommended for advanced open water divers to do night dives but if you feel comfort then we will allow open water divers to do the night dive.... ."

.. On second note I have been on a beach dive with a group of open water divers like myself who had the opportunity to do a night dive off the same area that we dove during the day, conditions were ecxellent, flat water, shallow only 15-25ft deep. I actually did not do the dive unfortunately, because earlier that day we did two 90 minute dives and then when night time came some of us were a little to tired to go back out to dive.

So, as Padi open water diver I would say NO we should not be allowed to do the night dive (or leave it under the instructor or dive stars discretion using our beach dive trip as an example) Because it's not a part of open water training, and then we need tools that open water divers do not normally use. LIGHTS, we need to know how to handle a situation if your primary light was to go out, I don't know anything about selecting the right kind of light, how to choose a backup light, then your dive flag needs a light, and your tank needs a light, or (fluorescent glow stick type of device) attached to it. I actually did get a light anyway during black friday, it came as a bundle with my mares smart dive computer and it's 1000 lumens not sure if that's going to be too bright. Even though I said no to your question I still ordered one because I missed the night dive on our trip, and there's another shallow place that's in the intercoastal area that does night dives that I may try out sooner or later.

Hi a quick question.

By padi standard, is open water certified divers allow to do night dives? Not based on their individual competency level.

Is it the same for SSI?

I will like to add on to my post. I am freshly certified padi dive master. In my organization, my instructors do not allow ow to do night dives. Nt sure if they lazy to take more divers or adhering the guidelines. I have been flipping thru my instructor manual but nothing recorded or i might have missed out. I need a confirmation so i do not give wrong information to my students

Nikole: Finding out what light to use is not that hard. There are lots of lights that will do and the back up light is not very difficult to. Your tank does not need a light and your flat only when a boat has to pick you up. Night diving is no rocket science. As we dive in murky waters, we always have lights with us so we can find our buddy when the distance is more than 6 ft :) And I can't read my computer in the dark, with my eyesight even if the light is on.
When diving from a boat, they should hang something from the boat, so it's recognisable as your boat and can be seen. So that has to have a light and some lable or flag below the surface. I swam to a wrong boat on more than one occasion when there are several boats moored at popular sights (like in Egypt). No big deal, but no fun either.

This is the operative sentence.
In my organization, my instructors do not allow ow to do night dives.

I would say they made up that rule to avoid problems with unqualified (not uncertified) divers in an environment where the diver can be more easily "lost". Night diving can be part of the AOW program and therefore can be looked at as an advanced skill, so requiring an AOW card to night dive could be justified.

Personally I think it is bulls**t, but having seen a number of novice divers in action, I understand why the owner has to protect his business in this manner, and requiring a card is easier than evaluating each divers skill.

Bob

Last edited:
I know it's not science I've already researched around to see what types of lights were out there. I do like the rechargeable ones... Well there is one dive site that I go to that does night dives they require a light for the flag and tank - - or ateast that's what they're telling us we will need if we go.

Nikole: Finding out what light to use is not that hard. There are lots of lights that will do and the back up light is not very difficult to. Your tank does not need a light and your flat only when a boat has to pick you up. Night diving is no rocket science. As we dive in murky waters, we always have lights with us so we can find our buddy when the distance is more than 6 ft :) And I can't read my computer in the dark, with my eyesight even if the light is on.
When diving from a boat, they should hang something from the boat, so it's recognisable as your boat and can be seen. So that has to have a light and some lable or flag below the surface. I swam to a wrong boat on more than one occasion when there are several boats moored at popular sights (like in Egypt). No big deal, but no fun either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom