fat and need a new wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stuart-
I can't give you any better information on that but would suggest you contact Rubatex and any other maker that you can find. How "stretchy" any neoprene foam will be, is going to depend on the properties of the rubber itself, as well as how "foamy" it has been blown. More bubbles = less rubber = more stretch and more insulation. Except, as you dive it will also compress more, which will make it colder. Catch-22.
I think there's a lot of subjective and unproven talk about relative warmth and other properties. No one in the business of selling wetsuits, really wants to talk objectively about materials and sources. The best you can find is partial talk about magic sources and components, whether that's "titanium" fleece or magic pumice dust. What did they say on the cartoon channel? Pretty pretty, shiny shiny?
There are some real trade-offs. "Bare" neoprene is subject to abrasion, but once it has been skinned (literally, the surface layer is shaved down before any fabric is glued on) it is now thinner, so it should insulate less, and the fabric itself (fleece, lycra, whatever) is also going to hold water. In theory some of the fleece gets wet and allows your body to warm up that trapped water but then again, in theory without the fleece you'd have less water and more neoprene.(G)
Some of the new stuff really is a lot stretchier than the old classics and some of the cheap stuff, no doubt. If you are hands-on you can decide yourself if a suit is more comfortable, although you have to question how it will hold up long term. If you are dealing mail order, you can always ask them for a scrap or sample so you can see what their material feels like. If that's too much bother for them...TFB.
I asked a major brand once if they could tell me about how many pounds of buoyancy a specific wetsuit had. Heck, that should be an easy question. "We don't know." OK, that tells me someone are a batch of shop clerks and they really don't know their product.
Like so many other things...you're left to buy the reputation of a brand name, or else do a lot of legwork. There are no standards or easy comparisons when all the players make their own secret rules.

Appearantly in some places in the world obisitas is already accepted and no single obstruction towards (extreme) sports.

Well, a lot of people are offended by a merely true statement about overweighted divers.

I'm sorry to all the overweighted people here if I insulted you. You're right I will mind my own business, go diving, hell, go tech diving, do what ever you feel like.

Being overweighted makes you prone numerous of health related issues, especially in (extreme) sports but hey,who am I to point this out to people who don't know or apparently just don't care..

So what is overweight?

I'm 5'9" 220 lbs(100 kg), guess I'm fat by your standards

However, my resting pulse is 52, bp is 105/70, run 10 k in under 50 minutes and swim a mile 3 times a week in 30 minutes or less. But I can't find a wetsuit to fit. Maybe you should piss off if you don't have some useful information about wetsuits to add.

So what is overweight?

However, my resting pulse is 52, bp is 105/70, run 10 k in under 50 minutes and swim a mile 3 times a week in 30 minutes or less. But I can't find a wetsuit to fit. Maybe you should piss off if you don't have some useful information about wetsuits to add.

With those numbers you would sport/exercise/workout regularly, and then it would be probably a health issue which couses your overweight or you'd just eat like a pig, but if those number are true good job for you and you would be one out of a 1000 with that kind of condition while being some 30kilos overweight. Shouldn't be to hard to lose the weight if you eat healthy and workout a lot unless you've a health issue.

Again, why are you so triggered? You probably know yourself that's not healthy being overweight like that and most people who're in a condition according to their bodyweight are more likely to get into trouble underwater. Ofcourse this doesn't go for everybody but it's all in the statistics.
Being able to show those number doesn't make it healthy, btw. Overweight/obisitas is one of the number one killers these days, acceptance by society is dangerous...

So what is overweight?

Ongrade:

If you were serious about finding a suit that fits, please take a look at our XXL suits. They are very flexible and stretchy and I think you will be happy with the fit. Your weight falls within the range of the XXL suit and having a little extra length in the sleeves and legs should not be a problem at all.

Dive Safe!

Dano

With those numbers you would sport/exercise/workout regularly, and then it would be probably a health issue which couses your overweight or you'd just eat like a pig, but if those number are true good job for you and you would be one out of a 1000 with that kind of condition while being some 30kilos overweight. Shouldn't be to hard to lose the weight if you eat healthy and workout a lot unless you've a health issue.

Again, why are you so triggered? You probably know yourself that's not healthy being overweight like that and most people who're in a condition according to their bodyweight are more likely to get into trouble underwater. Ofcourse this doesn't go for everybody but it's all in the statistics.
Being able to show those number doesn't make it healthy, btw. Overweight/obisitas is one of the number one killers these days, acceptance by society is dangerous...

Triggered? Could be, I don't particularly like people who feel the need to interject their unsolicited, unrelated comments.
This thread is about finding wetsuits for unconventional body types. What makes you think I'm overweight?
My height to weight ratio? That's notoriously inaccurate.
Some chart that is based on averages?
Just to fill in a few more numbers to show your ignorance.

Body fat is 11%, how does yours compare?

Youngest any of my grandparents died was 93

Maternal uncle just passed at 102

Parents still going strong with no health issues at all

So I have no need to conform to your ideals, and again I would suggest you piss off if you have nothing useful to add in re wetsuits.

Ongrade:

If you were serious about finding a suit that fits, please take a look at our XXL suits. They are very flexible and stretchy and I think you will be happy with the fit. Your weight falls within the range of the XXL suit and having a little extra length in the sleeves and legs should not be a problem at all.

Dive Safe!

Dano

Thanks Dano,

I'll take a look

Joe

@stuartv - I use a custom-fitted wetsuit(s) from Elios. They provide many choices of neoprene, external and internal liners, zippers, etc. From my personal experience, my 3 mm Elios wetsuit provides similar insulation to my 5mm wetsuit. My personal feeling is that Elios uses higher quality neoprene and a custom fit minimises air space between my body and the wetsuit. I have a two piece free dive wetsuit that is even warmer - since the wetsuit lacks zippers and provides a perfect fit, little water enters the wetsuit. Its a pain to put on.

@stuartv - I use a custom-fitted wetsuit(s) from Elios. They provide many choices of neoprene, external and internal liners, zippers, etc. From my personal experience, my 3 mm Elios wetsuit provides similar insulation to my 5mm wetsuit. My personal feeling is that Elios uses higher quality neoprene and a custom fit minimises air space between my body and the wetsuit. I have a two piece free dive wetsuit that is even warmer - since the wetsuit lacks zippers and provides a perfect fit, little water enters the wetsuit. Its a pain to put on.

Yes Elios is an excellent company and they have been making custom wetsuits for many years. If you must have a custom, then buy a custom. However, many people can find an excellent fit and minimal air spaces etc. with an off the shelf wetsuit.

Elios uses a wide variety of wetsuit materials, at MAKO we use exclusively Yamamoto Neoprene which we honestly feel is the best material available - and it is not inexpensive. However, we sell direct and can offer a suit for probably half what a custom suit would cost, maybe less.

I do agree that a 3 mm "freedive" type of suit is probably equivalent to a lot of 5 mm "scuba suits with a separate hood and zippers etc.

Overweight/obisitas is one of the number one killers these days, acceptance by society is dangerous...

ahhh. acceptance vs tolerance.

f-is-the-mark-of-an-educated-mind-to-be-able-to-entertain-a-thought-without-accepting-it-300x235.jpg

I'd like to invite you to engage in a little personal growth, Berry Ke. Your choice, of course. No one can force you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom