fat and need a new wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe we need a new section for us plus sized divers. My lds has a rental Akona 2 piece Xxxl that fits fine but a little long in the legs and arms. I just find it do dammed hard to move in the dammed thing lol... but it keeps me warm in 52degree water.

I am somewhat buoyancy enhanced too.
I have a SP Everflex and really like it. It fits snug but allows free movement. It seals really well at the ankles, wrists and neck. I usually have to pull the neck open to let some water in to cool off.
It's a 5/4 and feels lighter but kept me very comfortable in a 60* quarry.

I don't want to offend anybody but I feel like it had to be said that one who wants to or already does an extreme sport, because basically/factually that's what diving is, and especially someone who wants to participate in tech diving, it would be wise and best for yourselfs to get in somewhat a decent shape.
But that's not the most important factor, I think it would only be fair towards other people/your buddy to be in an acceptable shape since your fitness could actually very easily affect also other people very quick very bad in a emergency situation, again especially in tech diving.

I'm not judging anyone in particular but when one's even struggling to find a wetsuit that fits because of being overweight (especially since there're suits available in sizes where 2 or 3 small people would be able to practically dive in) I think one should reconsider to participate in an extreme sport)..

Just one scenario: you're at 18m and your buddy gets unconscious. You're like 100m from the shore and you need to get your buddy there ASAP.
It might be after 50m of pushing your buddy you're already in trouble yourself.

I wouldn't dive with a person so heavily out of shape where one could question they are able to save themselves let alone you...

Very nice of you that you merely just happen to be offensive w/o actually wanting to be.

What makes the kind of diving you do an extreme sport?

And what in your expert mind makes the kind of diving the OP does an extreme sport?

How exactly did you arrive at the conclusion that the OP dragging you to shore won't do it twice as far and considerably faster than you dragging him?

Or are you just quite prejudiced?

See asshats like the one above assume, that since a person does not fit his personal guidelines of what we should be then we should get out of the water. Size does not equal fitness FYFI ( yes the extra letter means exactly what you think it does) . I think I will stop there.

Reminds me of a quote from Harry Potter, after someone started off with "I don't mean to be rude...."

"Yet, sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often. Best to say nothing at all,"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom