Trip Report Roatan Aggressor Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Craig. You will like Cayman Brac :) I enjoyed our week there, although I still prefer Roatan. The biggest highlight for me was the day trip we did to Bloody Bay Wall on Little Cayman. That should be on EVERY diver's "to do" list!

CajunDiva, you mentioned viz wasn't very good. What would you estimate in terms of feet? I'm just trying to set expectations, as I'll be there in late November, when viz is supposed to be at its worst due to rain.

Still, I'm an optimist like you when it comes to diving...I'd rather take crappy viz than a day at the office any time!

James

James, I'm not really good at estimating distance. I would guestimate a range of 45-80 ft. throughout the week. Some sites/days were better than others. It was not awful, just not the best. If things didn't look great, the captain would change sites and try out another location. Overall it was not awful, just lots of turbidity and particulate matter in the water.

I book dive trips myself, and I'm so focused on the details and making sure everything is perfect for my customers. But when it comes right down to travel time, there is really not much ANYONE can do about the weather or the visibility. You make up your mind that you're going to have the best dive you can possibly have and focus on the positives. Yes, November is rainy season, but you never know what Mother Nature is going to bring. You might have absolutely perfect conditions. But if they're not perfect, and you can't see for a country mile, just stay close to the reef and focus on looking closely at what's there...there's always something to see :)

Thanks Craig. You will like Cayman Brac :) I enjoyed our week there, although I still prefer Roatan. The biggest highlight for me was the day trip we did to Bloody Bay Wall on Little Cayman. That should be on EVERY diver's "to do" list!
Thanks, I have been to Grand Cayman many times and really enjoy the North walls and the East end. I have been to Little Cayman twice and Bloody Bay Wall is probably the most gorgeous I've seen. I look forward to visiting Cayman Brac and filling in my gap. I may have the opportunity to visit Little Cayman. I'm also interested in checking out Brac shore diving sites for future use.

James, I'm not really good at estimating distance. I would guestimate a range of 45-80 ft. throughout the week. Some sites/days were better than others. It was not awful, just not the best. If things didn't look great, the captain would change sites and try out another location. Overall it was not awful, just lots of turbidity and particulate matter in the water...

The visibility reminds me a lot of my local diving in Boynton Beach. This is just fine with me, perhaps just not quite up to Caribbean standards. On our recent trip to Roatan it was just a little bit better than this, fine with me :)

Be sure to dive the wreck "Capt. Keith Tibbetts":
Dive Site: The MV Captain Keith Tibbetts

Look for the goliath grouper who resides there :)
I've dived the Tibbetts once, a nice artificial reef. I'm spoiled with Goliath Grouper in SE Florida, just saw about 50 on the Castor in Boynton Beach after Irma. You, Hank, Phil and Tim should join me there next Sept, without hurricanes. We could fill my favorite boat.

I've dived the Tibbetts once, a nice artificial reef. I'm spoiled with Goliath Grouper in SE Florida, just saw about 50 on the Castor in Boynton Beach after Irma. You, Hank, Phil and Tim should join me there next Sept, without hurricanes. We could fill my favorite boat.
As for me that sounds like a plan, count me in--I'll try in the meantime to work on the others

......I'm just trying to set expectations, as I'll be there in late November, when viz is supposed to be at its worst due to rain.

November being the rainiest month in the Bay Islands? True.

"Viz" is one thing. You go to the Bay Islands for macro and micro. (You picked the wrong destination otherwise) Most of your observations will be within 6 feet.

What you must consider is what rain water does to the Ocean...
1) less salinity
2) colder temps

The above will affect the critters behaviors far more than viz.

To reflect fully on your question, tell us where your dive op is located. WestNorth, North, West, South or Liveaboard

You'll hear protestations from all corners, but I would not go liveaboard in November- also avoiding North and West North due to surface and winds. The South side will likely have the best conditions, but diving after heavy rains is universally Suck-0-Rama, again...not so much because of Viz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom