Trip Report Roatan Aggressor Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I packed my 3 mil shorty and regretted having used space/weight to pack it. All I wore all week long was a dive skin. Well, I actually alternated between 3 different dive skins...must coordinate colors :wink: Hubby brought his 3 mil full suit and never wore it...dive skin also.

Yes, marine park fee, nitrox and tips can be put on a credit card. We prefer to do tipping in cash, but we did use our credit card for all other costs.

Actually, I am not normally a liveaboard type person. I am the self-confessed "poster child" for seasickness, due to a serious auto accident that injured the cranial nerve that controls equilibrium in my brain. I suffer badly, but thankfully I have found medication that helps me. In this case, enduring medication for an entire week was completely worth it. Stephen Frink has long been my dive hero, not only for the amazing photographs he shoots, but for the image he presents. I identify with the ideals he represents on many levels. So yes...it was very exciting!

Nice vid, thanks for sharing.

So, from a diving perspective, and allowing it's been reported in other threads that different regions of Roatan (e.g.: north vs. south coast) feature different diving, care to opine how the diving itself compares from the Roatan Aggressor vs. the land-based Roatan diving you've done?

I imagine a number of people who find this thread will want to know.

Richard.

OK @drrich2 - I will do my best to answer your question. First of all, I don't consider that different regions feature different diving. They do, however, present different highlights and provide a bit of variety.

The benefit of diving on the Roatan Aggressor is that one has the opportunity to sample a number of these areas that vary in geographical structure within the time frame of one week. The north shore of Roatan is more dramatic and rugged due to the fact that it is the side exposed to storms and fronts that move through. Generally, larger pelagic life can be found there. The south side is a great place for wall diving. These walls face the sun all day and macro life abounds and the reef is amazing. The sea mounts of Cayos Cochinos rise to within 45 feet of the ocean surface and provide LOTS of fish life and activity. Although this was my first experience with Utila, I was very impressed with the diving there. Lots of variety - sea mounts, pinnacles, the possibility of whale sharks. (Although we didn't spot any :()

Land based resorts are my preference due to my issues with seasickness. Roatan has been our love for many years now, and we have been to numerous places on the island. There are no bad places - but some places are better suited for some people. You just have to find what works for you personally. Our friends run dive ops both at Media Luna Resort on the quiet, east end of the island on the south side and at Las Rocas Resort at the edge of West Bay Beach on the west/north side. We enjoy being able to sample both areas with people we trust and depend on. In addition, they offer day trips to Cayos Cochinos, Utila, Pigeon Cay and even Morat Wall. So we are fortunate to have sampled many areas around Roatan with the exception of Utila. But not all in one week :)

While I would not normally consider a liveaboard, the opportunity to take part in a trip with Stephen Frink was just too good to pass up. I so appreciate underwater photography and Stephen has been my underwater hero for some time. Just watching him work his magic was worth the trip. So there's that...

Thanks, good to know. I think Roatan joins Cozumel & Bonaire as one of those '1st tier' Caribbean dive destinations that many people make what I call their 'scuba home' (or one of them), making multiple trips there amidst mixing in trips elsewhere now & then. For them, I doubt it matters quite as much to nail down which option is 'the very best,' since they can hit 2 or 3 searching for their personal 'sweet spot.'

But some will hit of those destinations once, perhaps with a single repeat trip years later? For them, the choice takes on added meaning, maybe the one taste of Roatan they ever have. Sampling a broader geographical range of dive sites in the area via the Roatan Aggressor may appeal...

I'm curious to see how the competition will go with popular land-based options like CocoView. While people often choose a live-aboard to get to diving land-based op.s are hard put to match, that's not always the case (ala the Cayman Aggressor IV).

Richard.

Please don't consider this a competition. The options are two very different styles of vacation, and I consider there to be plenty of room for them all.

The land based ops I know of are doing well with bookings. The Roatan Aggressor has been at full occupancy and is fully booked in upcoming weeks. It doesn't have to be a competition. Just decide what you want and go for it.

Flash: Capitalism has reached Roatan. It is ALWAYS a competition, maybe not apparent to the buyer. You might wish to posture this thread in that non competitive manner, but a whole lot of people are reading trying to decide if $2800 gives better vacay value than $1400.

The ROAG will improve their marketing IF they would list the total number of dives offered each week, entering it in their Captains Log. In that competition for $2800, the simple inclusion of the total number of dives offered should trump a gushing Captains Log describing Tuesday night's desert.

They list the names of the dive sites visited, but 99% of buying readers have no clue whatsoever that these sites may or may not be Roatan (N or S?), Utila, Cayos....leaving the weeks actual logged itinerary more than a bit vague. (They should read what you've (CD) written so far and use that as a model for their Captains Log)

Their inviolate burden will be to maintain the level of service that Steve Frink's "launch cruise" garnered, using the same amount of diesel provided ship movement, and keeping up that honeymoon relationship with the weather gods.

Last edited:
If I wanted to talk competition, I'd be sure to mention that I'd sell you an all-inclusive trip to Media Luna (INCLUDING the 19% hotel tax that nobody else mentions) for only $1200.00.

While that's a great package, it's not the same thing you get by paying $2800 for the Aggressor. IF they consistently provide the service we received during our Frink tour, I would say if you've got the discretionary funds to give it a go then by all means go for it. My budget is not flexible. But because (and only because) the opportunity to dive with Stephen Frink was there and because (and only because) there was an introductory price of $1995, we jumped on the opportunity. Because it was a dream of mine, my better half came out of retirement and worked a few hours to pay for the trip. Others don't have to worry about that kind of stuff.

It's just like ANYTHING else...a matter of perspective. There are different opportunities, likes, dislikes, budgets, etc. for each person. I contend that there's something for everyone.

The Captain's Log on the Aggressor is written by a guy who literally busts his a-- for 96+ hours a week. He rarely has ANY time to himself. He goes to bed after 10 and only when all of the customers are happily retired. He is up by 5 to make sure everything is right to begin the day's diving/dining/socializing events.

And then SOMEHOW, at the end of the week, when he MIGHT have a chance to have a couple of hours to himself...he takes the time to write this log. While there are many out here in digital land that think he owes us more, trust me when I tell you his focus is on the divers in his charge. He's doing the best he can.

If the RA wanted to get me to write their captain's logs, I'd be MORE than happy to tag along, take pictures, and make all the digital folks happy. But I suspect...like all of the staff members on board...there would be MUCH more required of me than I could keep up with. They run a tight ship!

Now...on to the trip report. I will have lots to say, so it will be posted in segments as I have time :) These are just basics. Let me know what else you're curious about and I'll be happy to expound...

First let me say that the liveaboard lifestyle is a great way to experience LOTS of diving in an effortless way. I was privileged to be a part of Stephen Frink's group and had a great time watching him practice his art.

Da Man.JPG

My trip report is based solely on this week.

The way it worked aboard the Aggressor during our week:

Upon boarding, you enter past the dive deck, so it's a simple to task to stop there and unpack your dive gear before proceeding to your cabin. The dive deck had plenty of space. Each diver has their own spacious tank area with storage beneath. Wetsuits are placed on hangers around the perimeter of the deck. I selected my spot, dropped off my dive gear and never moved it again for the week. After each dive, we would simply remove the regulator from the tank and within 15 minutes we had a fresh fill of nitrox, and fills were always plentiful.

Tank Space.JPG Tank Space (2).JPG Wetsuit Hangers.JPG

Dives were GENERALLY at 8, 10, 2, 4 and night dive at 7:30 after dinner. On a couple of days during our travels to/from Cayos Cochinos or Utila, the schedule was shifted so that we had a quick continental breakfast and started our first dive at 7. This was always followed by hot breakfast after dive completion. Every single dive day (Sunday thru Thursday) we had the opportunity to complete 4 daytime dives plus a night dive. On Friday (final day) we did two morning dives before returning to port.

All dives are done from the mother ship. A zodiac is towed behind in case it is needed.

Zodiac.JPG

Even with a boat the size of the Aggressor, we were able to perform several drift dives. We had a good group of divers, all of whom somehow managed to follow instructions :wink: Drift dives were well organized. All divers assembled on the dive deck as the divemasters gave us a countdown. Three minutes...two minutes...one minute...DIVE, DIVE, DIVE! At that point, we all performed a giant stride entry and fell into formation with one divemaster (instructor level) leading the group and one "shepherd" bringing up the rear. With our group, dives were over an hour. We would all surface together and the yacht would ease alongside us with a trail line for every diver to grab. The captain was operating the controls from the deck and making sure all was well. Once all divers were on the line, we would climb up two by two...there was a nice ladder on each side of the dive deck.

On all moored boat dives, each diver had the option to either follow the divemaster or dive their own plan. Obviously, there were numerous photographers on board, so they had options. Due to their local knowledge, most divers chose to follow the guides. No matter how good you think you are at spotting critters, it almost always beneficial to follow someone who is intimate with the local facts.

Obviously, due to the size of the vessel, they are not able to moor at any dive site they wish. They have select moorings to accommodate them and I'm told they plan to add more as time progresses.

Mr. Frink was very proactive with dive site selection and itinerary. During our week aboard the Aggressor, he made the decisions about site selections based on the input of his group. Captain Nestor was very accommodating and sampled numerous different dive sites in a quest for decent visibility, which proved elusive during our week of diving. I am the "brighter side" person...I try to make the most of every opportunity. When the viz sucks, I just get closer to the reef and focus on the beauty of the structure and the small things that reside within it...one of my favorite things about Roatan :)

Thankfully, I managed to achieve 4 dives per day, or I probably would have gained 10 pounds! I'm not sure what I was expecting in terms of food, but all of the meals served on board were unbelievably good. I did not hear any complaints about anyone going hungry. For our last dinner, we were served Filet Mignon and Lobster! No problem with the food for sure :coffee:

Dinner Menu.JPG Steak and Lobster.JPG

Friday night is spent at the dock at Romeo's Restaurant to allow for re-provisioning of the ship for the next journey. This is the only meal not included in the fare. We all dined together ashore at Romeo's. Romeo surprised Steve by pulling down a framed copy of an article he had written for Skin Diver Magazine in 1987 about the Caribbean Aggressor boats. Good times were had by all :)

With Romeo.jpg Group Photo.jpg

That's it for the initial trip report. Again, please let me know if you have specific questions. I have zillions of pictures and videos.

Hey @CajunDiva and @Doc

You're both right. My wife and I made our 1st trip to Roatan this summer and had a wonderful time, 17 dives, all on the North side, good food, comfortable room, and nice people. Despite a room upgrade, nitrox, and unlimited beverages, we paid right between the rates you both quoted. We had such a good time we may return, with so many places to visit, this is rare for us. Turquoise Bay Resort/Subway Watersports August 2017

On the other hand, the diverse itinerary of the Aggressor, including both sides of Roatan, the Sea Mount, Cayos Cochinos, and Utila is very attractive. It would take several land based trips to cover all this territory. The opportunity to get in 27 dives in 5 1/2 days is also a significant plus. There's nothing much easier then diving, eating, and sleeping on a nice liveaboard. I got a surprise week free for diving at the end of this month. I considered doing the Roatan Aggressor, but they were booked. I'll be spending the week on Cayman Brac instead :), the only Cayman Island I've not had the chance to visit.

Luckily, there's something for everyone, choices, choices, choices...

Good diving, Craig

Nice trip report Jackie, thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom