What kind of weights used with BP/wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The rubber belt is best, but I could see wanting that pocket belt for travel. I have one I would sell for $10 plus shipping.

As for integrating weights... anyone ever try to doff their rig at depth with no ballast on themselves? You look at many old school divers and they use a rubber belt and hard weights for a reason. I myself am a recent convert.

Last edited:
The rubber belt is best, but I could see wanting that pocket belt for travel. I have one I would sell for $10 plus shipping.

Or go diving with rocket frogs in costa rica, you'll find at least one on the bottom.

As for integrating weights... anyone ever try to doff their rig at depth with no ballast on themselves?

You just have to clench your teeth harder. Gotta hold on to the reg anyway.

:D

As for integrating weights... anyone ever try to doff their rig at depth with no ballast on themselves? You look at many old school divers and they use a rubber belt and hard weights for a reason. I myself am a recent convert.
I am in the weight belt under the crotch strap camp myself. Trim weights on the harness, ballast on the belt.

In the OP's position I would use cam band weight pockets, but the poster who said it depends on training and skill get a +1 from me. Any skilled diver ought to be able to handle swimming up 4-10 lbs of lead easily, but if it might in any way be an issue then that weight needs to be dumpable. If you want a simple and easy weight belt the pouch style belts are great, and if you want to avoid using a belt then there are some small trim pouches that would fit small weights well and fit onto standard 2" webbing. DiveGearExpress has a nice selection. Good luck.

Zeagle has the Ripcord weight system that attaches to a back plate. No buckles and no pockets to lose. If you have a BP other than Zeagle you may need to drill a couple of holes.

I use those Ist dumpable weight pockets on both my doubles and single backplates. A big advantage is if you lose the inner pocket for any reason, you can use almost anything in an emergency. If you lose a special pocket, you may not be able to find a local replacement. The buckles on the Ist are very secure as they will only release when both the top and bottom parts of the mechanism are depressed. I have had other recreational bcd pouches release by getting caught on other divers gear in a boat. Similarly, we have had students lose recreational bcd pouches by having them caught on lines, railings, etc. This simply cannot happen with the Ist pockets.

The more expensive xdeep pouches of the same basic design have better features such as a hold open edge and are more robust.

The eyelet in the webbing is important in preventing the entire pouch from shifting. As previously mentioned some plates do not have a hole in the correct location. It is easy enough to drill one yourself. You can also use a wire tie to secure the eyelet if you don't want to or can't drill the hole.

We use the two piece tank bands because they are easier to put on tanks. For trim weights on the tank band, the best is the dive rite travel buckle triglide model. This dive rite model is the only pocket that has a triglide so that the position of the pouch cannot move on the band even if there is weight in the pouch and the band is hanging loose in two halves not on a tank. The webbing loop on other manufacturers models are looser and may slip. It is rated for only 4 pounds, but I routinely use 5 pounds and you can actually squeeze a 6 pounder in there. The buckle on the flap also positively precludes accidental loss of the weight. We have seen weights lost out of Velcro only trim pouch flaps.

We use either plastic or skeletanized stainless plates to minimize travel weight. An additional advantage of this is that you have more control of your trim by using weights versus the use of a solid plate or a steel tank.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom