Should I Use Nitrox Diving Socorro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They offer nitrox as a extra charge which gives me the impression they might be chasing more money off guests. I only think this due to past experiences where I have been recommended to use nitrox and it was not needed. The mix they offer is between 30-32% but can be changed if requested. I have heard the hammerheads can be quite deep, this is the main reason I dont want to be restricted, but would like as much time as possible with the manta rays haha.

Interesting. I haven't encountered an operation that will offer a custom mix. If they will offer 30%, then why not just use that all week? It should be suitable for the few (if any) deep dives and will give you the bottom time benefit of nitrox for all of the dives to some extent. They're not going to suggest a dive plan with a bottom beyond 120 feet, are they? That wouldn't seem very responsible to do on a recreational liveaboard trip. Just for reference, the dive ops on the N. Carolina coast that visit the WWII wrecks generally offer 30% as their standard mix because the MOD is where the bottom is, and they want their customers to be safe.

Whether it's "needed" is, of course, different from whether it's safe, which I got the impression was your original question because you mentioned a concern that some of the dives are deep. In other words, I got the impression you were concerned the dive op was offering a certain nitrox mix, e.g., 32%, for dives the dive op knows would exceed the MOD. Anyway, as for "needed," there is a whole school of thought that (MOD consideration aside) nitrox is always better than air, whether "better" means more bottom time or safer. "Air is for tires," the wags say. You will be doing lots of dives over the course of a week or more, so why not do all you can to minimize the nitrogen loading in your body?

Last edited:
Lorenzoid and others are on the mark regarding nitric. Based on my personal experience, with multi/day repetitive diving, I split dive group based on air and nitrox. Each LOB might set a MOD, but separating groups provides similar NDL’s (SI’s are usually more than 1 hr). Given the cost of transportation and cost of a LOB, standard gas ~EAN32, is definitely worth the extra money. Lastly, most LOBs provide standard gas and rarely will make custom gas blends for clients.

Last edited:
Interesting. I haven't encountered an operation that will offer a custom mix. If they will offer 30%, then why not just use that all week? It should be suitable for the few (if any) deep dives and will give you the bottom time benefit of nitrox for all of the dives to some extent. They're not going to suggest a dive plan with a bottom beyond 120 feet, are they? That wouldn't seem very responsible to do on a recreational liveaboard trip. Just for reference, the dive ops on the N. Carolina coast that visit the WWII wrecks generally offer 30% as their standard mix because the MOD is where the bottom is, and they want their customers to be safe.

Whether it's "needed" is, of course, different from whether it's safe, which I got the impression was your original question because you mentioned a concern that some of the dives are deep. In other words, I got the impression you were concerned the dive op was offering a certain nitrox mix, e.g., 32%, for dives the dive op knows would exceed the MOD. Anyway, as for "needed," there is a whole school of thought that (MOD consideration aside) nitrox is always better than air, whether "better" means more bottom time or safer. "Air is for tires," the wags say. You will be doing lots of dives over the course of a week or more, so why not do all you can to minimize the nitrogen loading in your body?
Yea 30-32% would be fine, We have decided to go with nitrox for the trip. I have been on trip were on occasions we have gone as deep as 40m or a little more (not sure what that is in feet), that was what I meant by restricted. But yea thanks for the input :).

Yea 30-32% would be fine, We have decided to go with nitrox for the trip. I have been on trip were on occasions we have gone as deep as 40m or a little more (not sure what that is in feet), that was what I meant by restricted. But yea thanks for the input :).

It also depends on how long you stay at 40m (let's call it 120 ft for simplicity). On a recent liveaboard we used 32%, and there was at least one dive where we briefly dipped to 120 ft. The key is "briefly"--probably about one minute. We looked around into the blue for hammerheads, didn't see any, and gradually started ascending to the depth at which we would spend most of the dive. My computer probably flashed a "MOD exceeded" warning at me, though I don't recall specifically.

It also depends on how long you stay at 40m (let's call it 120 ft for simplicity). On a recent liveaboard we used 32%, and there was at least one dive where we briefly dipped to 120 ft. The key is "briefly"--probably about one minute. We looked around into the blue for hammerheads, didn't see any, and gradually started ascending to the depth at which we would spend most of the dive. My computer probably flashed a "MOD exceeded" warning at me, though I don't recall specifically.

I second on the "quick dip". I went down to 147' (45m) with EAN32 for 2 minutes. As mentioned previously in
December 24-31, 2017 Palau Trip Report
I expressed my desire to see a Zebra shark to Ripon, the lead dive guide on this dive. As we were cruising around 100 feet deep along a wall, Ripon turned to me and pointed to the bottom and gave a shark sign (an open hand on the forehead). I could see a shark-looking fish about 2 inches long on the bottom from our level. We descent to 120 feet deep to get a better look. It was just lying there sleeping. I pointed to him my camera and to the fish as a sign whether I could get down for a closer look. He raised his index and middle fingers (like a victory sign) and pointed to his dive computer. I interpreted it as I have 2 minutes to descend, take the dang picture and ascend to a safe level. I did as told and took the fish picture, below, at 147 feet (45m). I could hear my 2 minutes was up as he banged away his stick on his tank. That was the deepest depth I ever done in my 13 years of diving and may not do it again for sometime :)

5EDCFE20-F4E8-4641-BFE9-C5ACB048367E.jpeg

I second on the "quick dip". I went down to 147' (45m) with EAN32 for 2 minutes. As mentioned previously in
December 24-31, 2017 Palau Trip Report
I expressed my desire to see a Zebra shark to Ripon, the lead dive guide on this dive. As we were cruising around 100 feet deep along a wall, Ripon turned to me and pointed to the bottom and gave a shark sign (an open hand on the forehead). I could see a shark-looking fish about 2 inches long on the bottom from our level. We descent to 120 feet deep to get a better look. It was just lying there sleeping. I pointed to him my camera and to the fish as a sign whether I could get down for a closer look. He raised his index and middle fingers (like a victory sign) and pointed to his dive computer. I interpreted it as I have 2 minutes to descend, take the dang picture and ascend to a safe level. I did as told and took the fish picture, below, at 147 feet (45m). I could hear my 2 minutes was up as he banged away his stick on his tank. That was the deepest depth I ever done in my 13 years of diving and may not do it again for sometime :)

View attachment 468997
Nice work haha, I think I would do the same if hammerheads were cruising past.

I've never done a live aboard. Can you not do air for your first dive and then EAN36% for your subsequent and shallower dive? I'm getting my Nitrox certification in November in Coz. I plan on diving air on every first dive, and then EANx on my second, shallower dives. I am hoping to get 36%, but we will see.

I've never done a live aboard. Can you not do air for your first dive and then EAN36% for your subsequent and shallower dive? I'm getting my Nitrox certification in November in Coz. I plan on diving air on every first dive, and then EANx on my second, shallower dives. I am hoping to get 36%, but we will see.

When you do your course, you'll learn that one of the major benefits of Nitrox is shorter surface intervals and longer bottom times. I'm not sure why you're planning air and 36%? In Coz, 36% is hard to find; 32% is what's usually offered. Unless you're planning on diving deeper than 110 feet, (Devil's Throat anyone?), 32% is more than adequate.

When you do your course, you'll learn that one of the major benefits of Nitrox is shorter surface intervals and longer bottom times. I'm not sure why you're planning air and 36%? In Coz, 36% is hard to find; 32% is what's usually offered. Unless you're planning on diving deeper than 110 feet, (Devil's Throat anyone?), 32% is more than adequate.

Well..., I said "hoping to get", so I realize it might not be easy. But, some dive ops do advertise it. It's my opinion that it's a good compromise of doing air first (with the possibility of going deep), and then a higher O2 content on the shallow dive to help off gas from the first dive.

I remember on my last visit, one person checking the O2% found the tank had 35%, instead of the 32% ordered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom