Help Me Get Bp/w for Smaller Wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't seem to find a definitive answer on where you want it to lay on the chest, or why?

There is no definitive answer. Again, whatever works for you. Have fun searching around for ideas. Here is one method of streamlining the corrugated & inflator hoses.

A couple of rubber bands made from a bicycle inner tube stretched over the corrugated hose help keep the low pressure inflator hose routed where you want it.

rubber bands on corrugated hose 5.jpg

A loop of bungee strung through the harness along with the left upper D-ring keeps the inflator assembly held in place, but easy to access.

bungee loop inflator holder.jpg

Last edited:
There is no definitive answer. Again, whatever works for you. Have fun searching around for ideas. Here is one method of streamlining the corrugated & inflator hoses.

A couple of rubber bands made from a bicycle inner tube stretched over the corrugated hose help keep the low pressure inflator hose routed where you want it.

View attachment 470198

A loop of bungee strung through the harness along with the left upper D-ring keeps the inflator assembly held in place, but easy to access.

View attachment 470199

Thank you for the pictures! I had to work really late yesterday, but just had a chance to look at them. Your FP looks great.

Do you remove the inflator from the bungee when you want to descend? And then it goes in the bungee throughout the dive?

I did pick up 2 used bicycle tires for just what's in your picture. So far works great.

Do you remove the inflator from the bungee when you want to descend?
Yes, or when I want to orally inflate the wing. Re-securing is very easy-the key of course is having the bungee positioned right near the end of the inflator assembly. Usually during the dive if I have to deflate the wing I use the butt dump-but I'm a warm water wuss so I rarely have air in the wing if not at the surface.

Yes, or when I want to orally inflate the wing. Re-securing is very easy-the key of course is having the bungee positioned right near the end of the inflator assembly. Usually during the dive if I have to deflate the wing I use the butt dump-but I'm a warm water wuss so I rarely have air in the wing if not at the surface.

Thanks, I have been trying to get into the habit of using the butt dump. Sometimes harder to find with 5mm gloves though... we'll get there.

Thanks, I have been trying to get into the habit of using the butt dump. Sometimes harder to find with 5mm gloves though... we'll get there.

Try finding the valve first, then the string.

I haven't read the 13 pages of responses (sorry!) so don't know if anyone has already recommended the Zeagle Zena. It's not bpw, but it works well for us vertically challenged women - and add a crotch strap no matter what rig you're using (helps to keep it all in place). Good luck!

I haven't read the 13 pages of responses (sorry!) so don't know if anyone has already recommended the Zeagle Zena. It's not bpw, but it works well for us vertically challenged women - and add a crotch strap no matter what rig you're using (helps to keep it all in place). Good luck!

What year is this?....We've already moved on to "How To Properly Locate A Piece Of String"

Try finding the valve first, then the string.

Understood. I had her do that while dry fit, not a problem.

@couv (and anyone else that wants to chime in) I'm having an issue where the corrugated hose (13") hangs past the d ring, so just putting the tip of the inflator in there looks / feels awkward. I can take it down more, but it would be a good ~ 7" or so past the D ring. The lpi hose is way too long, but I expected that.
Dropbox - LPI Hose - Simplify your life

I also routed the webbing a little different for the Deep6 weight pouches. I like the pouches, but they're pretty big. I'm not 100% sold on them just yet. If someone could take a look and see if you think this is ok? Might take a second to figure out what's going on, but the webbing comes down from the shoulder goes through the plate, through the keeper attached to the Deep6 pouch, then continues through the plate and the webbing slides through the Deep6 pouches 2" "channel" for the webbing.
Dropbox - Weight Pouches - Simplify your life

The current state of my dining room if you'd like a good laugh. If this was for anything besides something of hers I think I'd be getting the cold shoulder right now, lol:). Really like putting this together as opposed to having some one ship it this way. I know where everything is / goes, how tight, how to adjust, etc.
Dropbox - Dining Room - Simplify your life

Edit: Spelling errors...

Last edited:
Well, I'm not as well versed in setting up a standard BP as others here, so I'll yield to their experience and welcome any corrections. Until then, let's start with backplate positioning.

Where on your back does the plate sit? You should be able to reach an arm over your shoulder and your finger tips should just touch the top of the plate. If it's too high and adjusting the shoulder straps doesn't get it where you want, cross the harness straps before bringing them over the shoulders. (You'll hate me for that. Now you almost have to start over-and if it doesn't work, start again.)

After you have the plate positioned correctly move on to the wing position. To me, it looks a bit high. If you can bring it down without messing up your trim, that will solve some of the corrugated hose length issue. But before, replacing the corrugated hose-make sure the plate, then the wing are positioned correctly. If the corrugated hose is still too long, replace it with a shorter one. Last, comes the lp hose length. Inflator hose doesn't fit on inflator.

Weight distribution I'll leave to others. I put all my weight on the upper cam band, but I'm a warm water wuss and what works for me will not work for everyone.

If it's too high and adjusting the shoulder straps doesn't get it where you want, cross the harness straps before bringing them over the shoulders. (You'll hate me for that. Now you almost have to start over-and if it doesn't work, start again.)

I don't understand this part. I do have it set to where her fingers just touch the top of the plate.

She says the plate and harness feel great (and D rings are set perfect), but when I put a tank on it she says it pulls on her shoulders some, enough to where it becomes uncomfortable after a few minutes. I'm thinking that there's not enough webbing between the D ring and where it gets routed through by the hips?

The wing is mounted to the plate with little plastic screws. See here;
Dropbox - Backplate Screws - Simplify your life

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom