Help Me Get Bp/w for Smaller Wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do have it set to where her fingers just touch the top of the plate.
Good...that sounds correct.

when I put a tank on it she says it pulls on her shoulders some,
I don't think that can be helped. Remember, the tank will weigh almost nothing in the water where it matters.

I'm thinking that there's not enough webbing between the D ring and where it gets routed through by the hips?
You (she) should be able to get 2-3 fingers width of slack between the outside of the exposure suit and the underside of the webbing.

Edit with a link you might find helpful.
Equipment Images

BTW: Before you decide the corrugated hose hangs too low and replace it, try it in the water. I've seen plenty of folks with the inflator below the D-ring.

Last edited:
She says the plate and harness feel great (and D rings are set perfect), but when I put a tank on it she says it pulls on her shoulders some, enough to where it becomes uncomfortable after a few minutes.
As couv said, its the nature of the beast, especially if she is trying it own without the wet suit. It will feel much different in the water. If its still a problem then or if you will be doing a fair amount of hiking to the dive site suited up, consider adding a chest strap if you haven’t already.

Good...that sounds correct.

I don't think that can be helped. Remember, the tank will weigh almost nothing in the water where it matters.

You (she) should be able to get 2-3 fingers width of slack between the outside of the exposure suit and the underside of the webbing.

All can be done as you say. I just didn't know if more weight was supposed to rest on the hips. I think the next step would be to get in a pool and try it out!

As couv said, its the nature of the beast, especially if she is trying it own without the wet suit. It will feel much different in the water. If its still a problem then or if you will be doing a fair amount of hiking to the dive site suited up, consider adding a chest strap if you haven’t already.

I appreciate the suggestion, I'll just have to see if that's needed after the pool. I have gotten her to bend over (no pun intended:p) to see how it feels with the tank on her back. She says everything feels great when horizontal, and I keep telling her that's pretty much how she'll be when diving sooo....

While you were typing I added a link and note to my previous post.

I just didn't know if more weight was supposed to rest on the hips.

Can you say, "Freedom Plate?"

Can you say, "Freedom Plate?"

I could, but I don't want to take away from what we have, lol. I couldn't have gotten the fp knowing it prevents us from moving to doubles or more trading if we chose.

Thank you for the link with pictures.

I couldn't have gotten the fp knowing it prevents us from moving to doubles or more trading if we chose.

I know you're just joking, but the FREEDOM plate will not prevent you from doing anything. The FP is a plate designed to make single tank diving more comfortable. If you later move on to doubles, an additional plate will be a very small part of your equipment & training budget. My point of bringing the FP into the discussion is that currently you are using a plate designed for doubles, but modified for single tank diving and having problems optimizing it.

I know you're just joking, but the FREEDOM plate will not prevent you from doing anything. The FP is a plate designed to make single tank diving more comfortable. If you later move on to doubles, an additional plate will be a very small part of your equipment & training budget. My point of bringing the FP into the discussion is that currently you are using a plate designed for doubles, but modified for single tank diving and having problems optimizing it.

I understand and I agree. I've seen pictures and they really look amazing. It's like a work of art.

From what I gather Eric has plans to come out with an economy version....might have to pick one up and give it a shot at some point.

I'm pretty happy with the bp/w setup we have. It can do anything I need it to do, and it's surprisingly pretty comfortable even with just a t-shirt. Looking at pictures for the past few months I couldn't imagine how it could of been comfortable, but it is. I imagine the fp is even more so.

Also, reason for avoiding the fp is truth be told I'm on a bit of a time line to have all this together. Needed the bp/w and some practice in a pool / quarry before we go on vacation to Key Largo in August. I'm not sure I could of got my hands on a fp and had it set up in that time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom