Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. Been wanting to go b/o ccr for a while but havn't puled the trigger. Right side controller left side monitor. Teric on the wrist.

Do you use a BOV or a DSV?

I have a Predator controller and NERD monitor. I'm not sure I would like having a NERD in each eye. But, I would definitely be willing to try it, to see. :D

@Diving Dubai,

Last big pieces falling into place. Your observation of the difference between freshwater and salt water fogging might have a plausible explanation.

It appears that I can’t send the link directly. Easily found by Googling the text below:

CHEMICAL PHYSICS Salt creeping as a self-amplifying crystallization process

“At a relative humidity (RH) of 40% and temperature of 21°C, no salt creeping on the [glass] cylindrical substrate was observed for any of the solutions studied

In contrast, at a low RH of ~6%, salt creeping is observed for all salt solutions

Because of the spreading of salt solution due to creeping, even a well-protected surface can corrode in a very short time. This spreading is very rapid and has even been compared to the phenomenon of superfluid film flow of helium”

Maybe leaving your wet mask out on the deck in low humidity is 'seasoning' it as it dries???

I think some people might be hesitant to subject a $125 mask to treatment that is probably outside of the recommended "scope" from the manufacturer?
I would think someone worried about their new mask would be more concerned about the ammonia soak than the dishwasher run.

Flame and toothbrush cleaning neglect the mask's skirt and sides, which have silicone residue.

The dishwasher cleans the glass and also the silicone residue from the skirt and sides of the mask.

I used Turps.
Needed a few washes afterwards to get rid of the smell.

Do you use a BOV or a DSV?

I have a Predator controller and NERD monitor. I'm not sure I would like having a NERD in each eye. But, I would definitely be willing to try it, to see. :D

DSV. Everything is a trade off in technical diving. Most of my dives are working dives. My hands are busy and wrists need to be clean. It took a little mental adjustment but works well. Tony Lands mounts are nice bc they keep the Nerds low which helps. Downside is they double as the connection to the loop so removing them for cleaning and mushroom inspections is a bit more work to get adjusted properly. I can see all 5 cells at a glance and run the compass on the monitor side when I need it while maintaining critical data. When task loaded, hands busy, and clocks tickin I find it a fair trade off.

Last big pieces falling into place. Your observation of the difference between freshwater and salt water fogging might have a plausible explanation.
Interesting. However I'm sure there is no 100% guaranteed method

Last year I prepared 3 new masks for a trip. All flamed then tooth pasted (I never will subscribe to dishwasher method) All were given a number of cleans and checked with steam from a kettle and then by wearing and nose breathing, being re cleaned as necessary

On the trip 2 performed flawlessly one fogged badly but after a quick tooth paste clean was fine. All were the same brand of mask, all had had a really good cleaning session - so no idea why one suddenly fogged on that user

The things I do know, from my experience. Baby shampoo seems to fair better. I prefer undiluted but if I haven't got any, then I'll use whats on teh boat. However the lense does need to be dry before application. I don't think (from experience) it really matters whether you give it a quick coating then dunk, or if you leave it on for a short while - although don't let it dry

I do know that it fairs better from a salt water rinse, than fresh but equally sometimes for no apparent reason it fogs during the dive (obviously sometimes you know the reason)

And as an Instructor you know there's no magic solution if doing mask partial clears or floods - whether in fresh or salt, after a couple of cycles it fogs, and unless you dry the lense there is no magic solution.

I've always wondered (but never tried) if those rain clear products used on Windscreens (windshield) are effective in any way on a mask (I've certainly had sucess on my car

Last year I prepared 3 new masks for a trip. All flamed then tooth pasted (I never will subscribe to dishwasher method) All were given a number of cleans and checked with steam from a kettle and then by wearing and nose breathing, being re cleaned as necessary

@Diving Dubai,

Is a dishwasher cycle without the drying cycle harsher than these:
1. Flaming (dishwasher is much lower heat)
2. Toothbrush and toothpaste (dishwasher is non-abrasive),
3. Kettle steaming (see 1 above )

Now I have done all of the above, so I'm not being critical.

Just curious about the antipathy to a dishwasher cycle ?

@Diving Dubai,

Is a dishwasher cycle without the drying cycle harsher than these:
1. Flaming (dishwasher is much lower heat)
2. Toothbrush and toothpaste (dishwasher is non-abrasive),
3. Kettle steaming (see 1 above )

Now I have done all of the above, so I'm not being critical.

Just curious about the antipathy to a dishwasher cycle ?
Fair point.

With the manual methods you're more easily in control. (The kettle steaming btw is hold the glass near the steam to see if it fogs - not in it) There is also the subject of time with heat that makes me uncomfortable

What it really comes down to for me, it that my methods work (for me) I may get a fogging mask 1 dive in 20 or 30 but if someone else feels differently and it works for then, then that's cool

Personally, I don't want to waste a whole week soaking a mask in ammonia if I don't know for sure that the mask is prepped properly for the ammonia to be able to perform the desired task.

Are you soaking the whole mask in ammonia or are you just soaking the inside of the mask in ammonia ?

Back
Top Bottom