Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you soaking the whole mask in ammonia or are you just soaking the inside of the mask in ammonia ?

In my case, 3 masks to date, I have covered the entire mask in Ammonia. I reused the same solution each time for each mask.

In my case, 3 masks to date, I have covered the entire mask in Ammonia. I reused the same solution each time for each mask.

Thanks !

I think I can fit my 3 low profile masks without straps into one mask case. The Oceanic cases are very roomy.

Are you soaking the whole mask in ammonia or are you just soaking the inside of the mask in ammonia ?

Same as @tridacna. Whole mask submerged. I'm also reusing the same ammonia. I've got 5 masks soaking right now and previously did 2 or 3. I may do another 2 or 3 (or 4 or 5?) next week, after the current 5 come out.

Now that I learned how to wear my mask without making it extra prone to leak, I want to re-try all these masks, to see which one(s) fits me best. May as well make sure it's as fog-resistant as I can while I'm at it.

I wonder if there is actual benefit to submerging the whole mask in ammonia? I wonder if it's possible that soaking the skirt and exterior in ammonia "cleans" it any further, which might possibly help with keeping it fog-resistant for longer. This is on the speculation that something on the skirt may migrate onto the glass over time and thus degrade its fog resistance (until it is cleaned again).

I wonder if there is actual benefit to submerging the whole mask in ammonia? I wonder if it's possible that soaking the skirt and exterior in ammonia "cleans" it any further, which might possibly help with keeping it fog-resistant for longer. This is on the speculation that something on the skirt may migrate onto the glass over time and thus degrade its fog resistance (until it is cleaned again).
I don’t know but I can’t see the benefit of total submersion without not doing it first

I thought that the NH3 facilitated a chemical reaction with the glass. I doubt that it does anything to inert silicone? CMIIW. Dishwasher should remove any schmutz from the skirt.

I thought that the NH3 facilitated a chemical reaction with the glass. I doubt that it does anything to inert silicone? CMIIW. Dishwasher should remove any schmutz from the skirt.
I had never thought of putting a mask in the dishwasher until this thread, it’s works great at cleaning a mask.

Ammonia also acts to clean stuff, I think. It is an important ingredient in many glass cleaning products, I think.

I think the dishwasher SHOULD get the skirt clean. I was just thinking what if it only gets the skirt 98% clean? Is it worth saving a few cents worth of ammonia to not just submerge the whole mask?

I admit, if there is any difference, I’m sure it is very, very small.

Ammonia also acts to clean stuff, I think. It is an important ingredient in many glass cleaning products, I think.

I think the dishwasher SHOULD get the skirt clean. I was just thinking what if it only gets the skirt 98% clean? Is it worth saving a few cents worth of ammonia to not just submerge the whole mask?

I admit, if there is any difference, I’m sure it is very, very small.
My thinking is more along the line of 1. What effect does it have one other parts? This way I’m only contacting one side of seal etc. 2 is there any loss of whatever properties alter the glass, if so I can get more and better use from my gallon of ammonia plus I have some for other uses. 3. This stuff stinks and I want to have as little as possible near my eyes. I think my biggest driver though is I don’t like to waste stuff unnecessarily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom