Post travel ban restriction to Cozumel

What are your plans when the travel ban lifts?

• First flight

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • First week

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • First month

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • 2-4 months

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Late fall

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • Shelter in place until hell freezes over

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That may be, but how was Cozumel getting by before there were 8 or 9 cruise ships on one day? Only a few years ago people referred to "the cruise ship." Now it's "the cruise ships."
There are a lot more people living on the island now than there were in those days.

In my opinion, the cruise ship industry to Cozumel may represent some high % of the island's claimed economy but very little of the $ spent by cruise ship tourists ever made it to the locals. Yes, the taxi mafia, shop employees on the first few streets in the tourist zones, beach clubs and some businesses that catered to cruise ship tourist excursions may have seen some benefit but the rest of the population seems to just be working in a local economy that depends on its own commerce and the tourists who actually stay on the island.

As far as when we'll return goes... We've been December visitors and I can see my flights open for air miles that I can book today (and maybe I will in the near future) but the reality is I've known a few people who got this bug and while it didn't kill them they said they had never been so sick in their lives with a sickness that lasted for weeks. As such, I'm not sure I want test my immunity and my immune system to this thing. However, the little voice inside my head as I grow older says to ya want to live now or survive later? The clock is ticking for all of us.

I have a few N95 masks left over from my home building days I wear to the grocery store and such but do I really want to get on a plane wearing them and then on a dive boat with a bunch of other people who just got off planes who weren't wearing N95 masks or who don't practice the same level of social distancing and carefulness as I do? I don't know. I am gonna play it by ear and I hope when December rolls around we'll know far more about this bug. I've never been concerned by any bug in my life and I was here pounding the table about how Zika was BS (which it was), Swine Flu was BS (which it was), and other bugs everyone freaks out about but this one is different and until we know more I am going to be cautious. If I were in my 20's or 30's or 40's I wouldn't worry about it much but as I grow older there are things out there that I need to be mindful of. This bug is the first that is a little spooky to me. It most likely won't kill me if I did catch it but I've no interest in being more sick than I've ever been for 2-4 weeks.

If I were in my 20's or 30's or 40's I wouldn't worry about it much but as I grow older there are things out there that I need to be mindful of. This bug is the first that is a little spooky to me. It most likely won't kill me if I did catch it but I've no interest in being more sick than I've ever been for 2-4 weeks.
I spent a week in the hospital with viral pneumonia in my 40's, and it was no picnic. I have never been so sick and scared before or since. It's been 20-25 years but I will never forget how it felt when the insides of my lungs were sticking together every time I exhaled; every time I inhaled I could hear a sound like velcro pulling apart. I am not taking chances with this thing.

I just checked Air Canada and indeed flights to CUN from YYZ are scheduled beginning May 31.
I would NOT hold my breathe waiting for that to occur. That will be federally regulated and so far no noises out of Ottawa that this is remotely under consideration.

I would NOT hold my breathe waiting for that to occur. That will be federally regulated and so far no noises out of Ottawa that this is remotely under consideration.

You are correct that flights are federally regulated but I don’t think they’ve actually restricted flights to/from Mexico. See “consolidation of inbound flights to four major hubs only”:

Aviation measures in response to COVID-19 - Transport Canada

Now, whether Canadians have to quarantine for 14 days on return is another issue, as well as whether the airlines are actually operating any flights. Of course, whether people will choose to fly is yet another issue. And of course, I think the Feds have also recommended against all non-essential international travel (but it is but a recommendation).

Please let me know if there’s something I’m missing. I haven’t been paying particular attention to what the Feds actually said about banning flights - I don’t think they have. I was under the impression that that wasn’t necessary because the airlines themselves stopped all flights, and people themselves have decided not to fly.

Don’t get me wrong. I ain’t flying on May 31 even if there really are flights operating! I’m not ready to fly so soon. I’m terribly risk averse. I was just checking whether Canadian airlines are indeed resuming operations to CUN on May 31, as per what @horn34 posted in an earlier post. And from Air Canada’s website, they indeed are selling seats (which they may very well turn around and cancel at a later point). That’s it. Nothing more.

and news about June:
So I didn't see a confirmation. We have a $20 bet on donation to the Cozumel food bank on reopening June 1, with me betting no, right?

I was going to bring along 47 pounds of diving weights in a tiny suitcase that I'm donating to the Coral Reef Restoration Project.
I hope that it's a sturdy bag. Shifting weights can ruin one. I had to fly some to California for a liveaboard once. We found all of the pieces in luggage claims, and I repair the canvas bag with nylon ties.

I don't know if PV is open for business but I doubt it
I think travel between Mexico, US, and Canada is closed to nonessential travel for the foreseeable future.

I'm trying to talk my kids into flying to Fresno Memorial Day weekend to visit Sequoia and the newer Kings Canyon parks with the cheap fares offered and free changes or refunds for cancelations, but even that is iffy.

That may be, but how was Cozumel getting by before there were 8 or 9 cruise ships on one day?
With fewer people living on the island, less infrastructure, a better place to visit.

So I didn't see a confirmation. We have a $20 bet on donation to the Cozumel food bank on reopening June 1, with me betting no, right?
I said that there would be a staggered return to work for Coz people starting June 1. If that's what you're talking about, sure, $20 to the Coz food bank (which is really the Rotary club).

You are absolutely correct and I probably over-stated the requirements. The federal government has required that there are currently only 4 airports in all of Canada from which international flights may return (not originate, if that matters). Airlines have voluntarily virtually shut down operations in light of the federal gov't advice against unnecessary travel.

You are correct that flights are federally regulated but I don’t think they’ve actually restricted flights to/from Mexico. See “consolidation of inbound flights to four major hubs only”:

Aviation measures in response to COVID-19 - Transport Canada

Now, whether Canadians have to quarantine for 14 days on return is another issue, as well as whether the airlines are actually operating any flights. Of course, whether people will choose to fly is yet another issue. And of course, I think the Feds have also recommended against all non-essential international travel (but it is but a recommendation).,QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey there, the link to the article you have put out really needs to be balanced out. The message that is being thrown around from Dr Hartig's observations is generally along the lines of doom and gloom for the dive industry (like we need anymore of that). It has to be noted that a test group of six people can't offer an accurate reflection of the world's dive community and that the period after testing is way to short in order to say that the damage is irreversible.

If you would like to read an educated and perhaps more rational take on things then take a look at this article from a DAN consultant, cardiologist, tech diving instructor trainer for multiple agencies and COVID-19 survivor. The article goes into depth on many ways coronavirus relates to our industry but does specifically address the findings discussed in the article you posted.

https://www.divetech.com/post/diving-in-the-era-of-covid-19

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom