The Best Dive Computer on the Market? Defining the benefits in the real world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But it its.

A nice divig trip costs around 500-600€ here in europe.

A set of XTX50s costs 500€.

And a difference of 500€ will get you a long way.

And a 500€ vs 1000€ vs 200€ will last the same.

Maybe it's my job of an optimizations engineer has scarred me for life, but I tend to over analyze the cost/benefits of everything. :D

I can buy a regulator for far less the $500, it’s a very simple mechanical device and will last many years with reasonable maintenance.

I’m not sure what a “nice diving trip” is for you but for me there is diving on the Calif. coast and than there is a diving trip, before the plague I could do a week in Curaçao for $1300 or so inc. airfare, that is a “trip”. Locally, I use a drysuit, I could get by in a wetsuit by doing short dives or freeze, I prefer a more suitable choice of gear rather than just getting by.

I have had cheap computers, they don’t last the same but they can last a long time, I could probably get by with a low cost computer but I see no advantage beyond saving a few bucks, I go cheap in many areas but not computers.

Connectivity is just as bad as most dive computers, it takes me 5 minutes to connect with my Petrel.

Completely untrue - My Perdix AI and Teric connect in seconds to my iPhone or PC via Bluetooth (as did my previous Petral 2) - so maybe it's just a 1st generation Petral thing?

The Best Dive Computer on the Market? Defining the benefits in the real worl:
Shearwater Perdix AI!

<---- clicks 'unwatch thread', signs out, closes browser, deletes browser, turns off computer, unplugs computer, throws computer out the window....

The Best Dive Computer on the Market? Defining the benefits in the real worl:
Shearwater Perdix AI!

<---- clicks 'unwatch thread', signs out, closes browser, deletes browser, turns off computer, unplugs computer, throws computer out the window....

Did you throw the Perdix out the window? That's quite a statement. Bravo!

I can buy a regulator for far less the $500, it’s a very simple mechanical device and will last many years with reasonable maintenance.

Now you're talking. I can cut a backplate out of a 55-gallon drum with a hacksaw and make a wing out of a suitably-sized inner tube too, but I don't want to. So I can choose between a $1000 computer, or a $200 computer and a BCD.

Or try to make another thousand bucks, which reminds me: anyone wants to buy a few 4K teevees in slightly scratched cartons with some pepper spray stains? Asking for a friend.

Now you're talking. I can cut a backplate out of a 55-gallon drum with a hacksaw and make a wing out of a suitably-sized inner tube too, but I don't want to. So I can choose between a $1000 computer, or a $200 computer and a BCD.

Or try to make another thousand bucks, which reminds me: anyone wants to buy a few 4K teevees in slightly scratched cartons with some pepper spray stains? Asking for a friend.
True enough, you can have a crappy computer and a crappy b/c for the same $

True enough, you can have a crappy computer and a crappy b/c for the same $

Scubapro Mk11 and C370 brand new under $400. Fantastic combo. Take that over a 55 gal drum and a straw.

Scubapro Mk11 and C370 brand new under $400. Fantastic combo. Take that over a 55 gal drum and a straw.
Love the C370 mk11 is nice, I got mine for just over $300, I would take it over a lot of nice regs out there.

Love the C370 mk11 is nice, I got mine for just over $300, I would take it over a lot of nice regs out there.

$510 is all I see. This may work when you know what you're looking for, and bide your time and know which sites to trawl for the closeouts. If you're after your first "a dive computer" for the upcoming trip, good luck with that atmos for $300 and mikron for $350.

$510 is all I see. This may work when you know what you're looking for, and bide your time and know which sites to trawl for the closeouts. If you're after your first "a dive computer" for the upcoming trip, good luck with that atmos for $300 and mikron for $350.
SP has strict online MAP. Walk into a store and the “magic” happens. I’ve seen that set WITH a R095 for way under $400.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom