PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I became a PADI DM, I learned all about required OW skills I had never encountered before. I went back to my original logbook from the resort in Mexico that had certified me years before and saw that those skills were all listed there, with the instructor's signature indicating that I had done them all. I had never noticed that before. Of course, we had not done a lot of them during our 2-hour pool session. It was then that I realized for the first time how many standards my instruction had skipped. Whose fault was it? If I had looked at those records and realized what a lie they were, I could have reported them, but I didn't.

After becoming a DM and then an AI and then an instructor, I cannot estimate how many classes I have observed or led over many years, and I can honestly say I have never seen a single standard skipped in any of them. In more modern times, students receive surveys from PADI asking them what happened in their classes. When I was still a DM, a survey indicated that the instructor with whom I was working had not used an ascent line during the CESA, and PADI investigated. It was not at all true--we used ascent lines for all CESAs, but PADI checked to make sure we were doing it right.

About 50 years ago an education researcher named John Goodlad decided to compare different instructional programs to see which were most effective. Different schools used different programs, but Goodlad went into the classrooms to see them in action. What he discovered was that he could not compare the programs, because once the teachers closed the doors to their classrooms, they pretty much did whatever they damned well pleased. Similarly, in an English department in which I taught, one of the teachers taught the novel Candide in every class she taught--Major World Writers, Major American Writers, Major British Writers--it didn't matter what the name of the course was, she taught what she wanted to teach the way she wanted to teach it. That sort of thing happens every day in classrooms everywhere, despite the fact that those teachers are evaluated regularly and could supposedly lose their jobs for teaching something other than the school approved curriculum.

My OW students deploy on the surface. My AOW students deploy from depth.

I've suggested this before, but why not reach out to REEF.org for help in fish ID? My AOW students have to join REEF and do at least one survey. REEF requires they ID at least one fish, but most of my students do more. Plus, I get them thinking about doing this on every dive. I get to support REEF and give my student a way to really learn their fish.
I could do that. But I'd rather direct them to REEF itself. I think that gives them far more value than I ever could.

If someone else can do a better job for a prospective student, I'd rather not take their money and send them to that other person.

When I took my OW class I had no friends or family that dived. I progressed quickly to AOW and specialties so I could dive. Without a buddy these classes kept me in the water. Have I spent a lot of money? Yes. Were the classes worth it? To me, yes. Now I am a PADI Divemaster/ Master Scuba Diver and working on my AI. I have enjoyed the time and effort I put in to get this far. I have made several good friends out of all the classes I took. My wife has made friends as well although she is still a non diver but tags along on the boat.

Its like the whole Ford vs. Chevy debate. People want to think their way is the best when in reality there isn't much difference.
This post stands out for me. As good and honest a reason for furthering your dive education as any other, and I think one that is shared by quite a few divers out there. Fair play to you and good luck with your AI.

DSMB deployment can be a finicky thing. I’ve been teaching it for years, yet the last two times I’ve deployed one I’ve fouled it up. Once letting the line get caught on the reel handle and once getting my reg snagged. I got out of both, but there are times when it all goes wrong. I’ll get it right on the next dive.
A textbook deployment today, and rewarded by a seal coming to see what we were doing.

DSMB deployment can be a finicky thing.
Preach it!

I have no idea how many times I've launched a sausage. Still, unless I practice often I'm bound to mess up somehow. I guess it's similar to other skills I pride myself of having: Unless practiced and maintained often and regularly, I lose it. Only regular practice can maintain it.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you use a reel vs. spool when demonstrating DSMB deployment.

And not to throw fuel on the fire, but since this is a "PADI Hate" thread, I'll ask, how many of you took fundies or similar?

Just out of curiosity, how many of you use a reel vs. spool when demonstrating DSMB deployment.
finger reel
And not to throw fuel on the fire, but since this is a "PADI Hate" thread, I'll ask, how many of you took fundies or similar?
I am unaware that there is a "similar" ?? Please enlighten me (my knowledge, not my cigar).

I use a spool and took TDI intro to tech up through trimix. I did not work significantly on my DSMB skills until that time.

Back
Top Bottom