• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

12 boys lost in flooded Thai cave

Discussion in 'Search & Rescue' started by Dogbowl, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Dan

Dan ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Thanks for the links.

I have seen FFM with nose plugs for equalization, but this type FFM seems to be designed for the user to breathe normally through the nose & mouth. So, how do you equalize when you go deep in the sump with this type of FFM?

kelvkwok likes this.
  2. Scuba J7

Scuba J7 Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Not everyone needs to plug their nose in order to equalize.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  3. John C. Ratliff

John C. Ratliff Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Dan,

I don't know, not having used one, but apparently these kids and the soccor coach got through it okay. That was one reason for me not endorsing the use of FFM though.

SeaRat

4. Dan

Dan ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

For shallow dive (<15' / 5m), which was seemed to be the case for this rescue, may be fine. I can use throat muscles to pull my eustachian tubes open the way nature intended — by swallowing, but that takes practice & small increment.

kelvkwok likes this.
  5. JohnnyC

JohnnyC PADI Pro

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    The Ocean Reef and the OTS masks use a nasal block, albeit different designs. They are adjustable so that they can be tailored to each individual diver. Typically they are adjusted so that the nasal block sits just below the nostrils and the diver presses in and up on the front of the mask to bring the block into contact with the nostrils, blocking the airway, and allowing the diver to equalize using a normal valsalva maneuver. This allows the diver to breathe naturally, and they are able to breathe through their nose or their mouth. Some divers prefer not to have to touch the mask, so they will set their nasal blocks so that they block the nostrils at all times. While this allows for hands free equalizing, it does not allow the diver to breathe through their nose.

The Dräger Panorama uses two squeeze blocks that are connected by a passthrough to the outside of the mask. This makes equalizing similar to how one normally equalizes by squeezing the nostrils, only you squeeze the levers on the outside of the mask, and the pads squeeze your nose, allowing a valsalva maneuver.

As for how the Ocean Reef masks that were used in the Thai rescue were set up, I don't know. The easiest way to allow the kids to equalize without intervention would be to set the nasal block to where it constantly blocks their nasal passages, and they don't have to touch the mask.

6. Neilwood

Neilwood Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Spot on.

It appears from everything I have read and watched that the Thai mission commander did exactly the right thing - realise where he had no relevant experience and delegate each task to the right people (from exploring top side for possible entrances, pumping, diving logistics etc).

What struck me was that everyone seems to have been very willing to play their part without any squabbles - they all seemed to work out what their role was within the overall scheme and realised that their tasks (even the less heroic contributions such as schlepping tanks) were just as important to the overall outcome and just got on with it.

I have often found that beginners know they have no experience and are happy to admit it and the true experts know they have the skills and experience and don't need to shout about it. It is those in the middle that often are the most vocal about what they can do "Look at me, I am a god" while not actually realising that they aren't.

7. Jay

Jay Need to dive more!

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Panel on cards to vet film projects <--Bangkok Post link

"A national committee is likely to be set up to review any film projects involving the 13 Wild Boars and their cave ordeal, Culture Minister Vira Rojpojchanarat said on Thursday.

8. admikar

admikar DIR Practitioner

Didn't OTS put out new FFM, I think it's called Spectrum, that is a lot like regular mask, with regulator attached on the bottom, so you just squeeze nostrils like on a regular mask?

John C. Ratliff likes this.
  9. Gareth J

Gareth J Contributor

I have been very impressed by the Thai's.

They didn't try to do it all themselves. As has been said already. They asked for help quickly at the start. They let the experts get on with the job. The government, officials etc where enablers, ensuring all the resources that where needed or requested where made available. Most impressively, they stepped back. Even there politicians kept out of the way during the rescue.
    The local's also did everything they could to help, even if that meant just cleaning the toilets.

I have the somewhat jaded view that in most countries the politicians would have been getting as much camera time as they could, and generally getting in the way.

It is so nice to see such a positive outcome.

InTheDrink and Kay_K like this.
  10. admikar

admikar DIR Practitioner

Maybe the king told them to bugger off and let experts do their stuff? Of course, I'm asking on assumption that king has some power in Thailand.

Wingy likes this.