2010 SEC Football Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
Well it's that time again... SEC Football is right around the corner. :thumb:

Here's the 2010 schedule (click image to enlarge).

Here's one of the predictions for the season.

606secpolljpg-49d4c05c94065e6e_large.jpg

2010-sec-strengthjpg-8998f57fdc906c4f_large.jpg

from Birmingham News SEC Football Preview 2010: Alabama, Florida once again the teams to beat | al.com

Looks like the predictions are gonna be the Gators against the Tide.... should be a good year. :popcorn:

That's the way I see this year developing. Whoever wins the SEC will play for the National Championship.

That's the way I see this year developing. Whoever wins the SEC will play for the National Championship.

I don't know that Alabama has the returning players to get it done this year. Same for Florida. Still Saban and Myer are still at the helm and can drive those teams hard.

However, I wouldn't be surprised to see them both in Atlanta in December. But I just don't see them being as much of a "powerhouse" this year.

Still it's possible and very likely that a SEC team could be biding for National Championship.

A couple of thoughts/questions:
1) Is this a make-or-break year for Les Miles @ LSU?
2) TN - do they fold up or fight - and way exceed expectations?
3) I like FL in the East, but a lot can happen between now and the final second of the Cocktail Party...
4) FL at AL on 2 Oct! A game the rest of the country will love, because someone has to lose...
5) Just assuming FL-AL in SEC Championship for discussion purposes, the 2 Oct loser goes in fired up...

A couple of thoughts/questions:
1) Is this a make-or-break year for Les Miles @ LSU?

hmmmm.... interesting discussion point.... :hm:

2) TN - do they fold up or fight - and way exceed expectations?

It'll be easy to exceed expectations after the year they had last year under Kiffin. (both on the field and off the field (arrests, etc)).

but then again, Kiffin got the team fired up against Alabama and they played their butts off. Tennessee should have won that game, even if they were the complete underdog. If it wasn't for a couple of blocked kicks, that game would have been a victory for Tennessee.

It was clear that Bama did not prepare and that UT did.

Interesting... (thank God they left Mal Moore off this list... !)

I'm not sure why Tebow is on this list.... In my opinion, he didn't "yield much power" as much as it was just "he got a LOT of media attention". He might have been a "SEC Celebrity", but he had no decision making power really (in the SEC).

from The SEC's 10 most powerful people - Orlando Sentinel

The SEC's 10 most powerful people
July 10, 2009|By Jeremy Fowler, Sentinel Staff Writer

1. Mike Slive, SEC commissioner: Under Slive's tutelage, the conference has brokered a revolutionary $2.25-billion television deal with ESPN, won 25 women's and 24 men's national championships (including six in football and men's basketball), cleaned up most probationary issues and pushed the conference to the forefront of many national initiatives, including digital rights and athletic departments sharing resources to improve academics.

2. Nick Saban, Alabama football coach: His grip on the state of Alabama is only strengthening. He's redefined the cold and robotic coaching persona. He's become a recruiting innovator with the Webcam loophole. He's the first football coach to grace the cover of Forbes Magazine. Soon enough, the former LSU coach could become the conference's first to win a national football title at two schools.

3. Jeremy Foley, Florida athletic director: Over the last 17 years, Foley has redefined the athletic director position as that of a CEO rather than an ex-coach's pre-retirement job. He took over a mediocre Florida program in 1992 and turned it into a multimillion-dollar enterprise that flourishes in every sport. His hiring approach of getting the right person at the right time has become trendy among SEC athletics directors. He'll forever be defined by the hiring of Urban Meyer and Billy Donovan.

4. Urban Meyer, Florida football coach: Meyer displays the conference's best combination of coaching skill (imaginative use of spread offense) and deft recruiting (aggressive use of text messaging). He can get away with criticizing former players and recent legal woes from his own roster because of his on-field dominance. And he has the blueprint in place to keep winning at Florida.

5. Tim Tebow, Florida quarterback: Tebow has driven newspaper headlines for years, captivated an entire religion as an outspoken Christian, created the league's strongest combination of adoration and disdain from fans and has made a case as the greatest college football player of all time. He's easily the biggest cult-celebrity figure in the conference.

6. Jimmy Sexton, agent: Sexton has represented Saban, Steve Spurrier, Houston Nutt and the last two coaches at traditional SEC powers Tennessee (Phil Fulmer to Lane Kiffin) and Auburn (Tommy Tuberville to Gene Chizik). He gets his coaches top dollar (see Saban's eight-year, $32-million deal). He helped develop the coach-in-waiting trend with clients Jimbo Fisher of FSU and Will Muschamp at Texas.

Finebaum: Time to kick Vanderbilt out of the SEC | al.com

Finebaum: Time to kick Vanderbilt out of the SEC
Published: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 6:01 AM Updated: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 12:50 PM

When it comes to football, Vanderbilt has always been like your crazy uncle. You tolerate the old coot most of the time. However, when the boss comes over for dinner, you lock him in the attic with a double bolt.

But the time has come to end this silly nonsense. The last two weeks have been the nadir of Vanderbilt football in the Southeastern Conference. And that is saying something.

First, head coach Bobby Johnson resigned (three weeks before training camp opens), without even an explanation. Just ready to do something else, he mumbled. Even though Johnson came off looking like a quitter, the media yawned. Or perhaps they simply remembered Johnson had gone 2-10 (0-8 in the SEC) last season and would be lucky to equal that in 2010. Perhaps, some reasoned, a non-answer is enough of a reason to quit on your team, the recruits you have promised and the staff who depends on you, to say nothing of the people who pay your salary and to whom you have a signed and legal contract.

Johnson's long-time assistant, Robbie Caldwell, was elevated to interim head coach and some in Nashville speculated it was an inside job to get him the post long-term. Then, Caldwell shows up in Hoover the other day at SEC Media Days and in the spirit of Nashville goes country. The media boys were rolling in the aisles at Caldwell's homespun humor. My question: How did the Grand Old Opry miss on this character considering that he's been working just down the street for eight years?

One can understand the media lapping it up. If you had to listen to three days of sleep-inducing, mind-numbing, coach-speak from the likes of Urban Meyer, Mark Richt, Bob Petrino, Gene Chizik and Les Miles, you would probably find Caldwell's monologue about "turkey insemination" downright side-splitting, too.

However, if I wanted to see Jerry Clower, I'd pop in an old DVD of "Hee-Haw" and sit back on the couch with a bottle of RC Cola and a Moon Pie. That's about what I got out of Caldwell's deep fried act last week. And besides, if you're the Vanderbilt head coach, shouldn't you at least try to give off the appearance you could have been admitted to the school as a student?

I found the whole presentation insulting, not only to a great academic institution like Vanderbilt, but to the SEC as well. If the administrators at Vanderbilt want to make a charade of college football, that's fine. They've already eliminated the athletic department several years ago. But I suggest they do it in some other league than the SEC.

Considering this is the best football conference in America, and considering Vanderbilt administrators were able to get their grubby paws on a $20 million payout recently in the league revenue sharing plan, the time has come for everyone else to say enough. Even Kentucky, a basketball school, makes an honest effort in football. Why can't Vandy?

Vanderbilt has its moments in other sports, particularly basketball. Oh, excuse me, Vanderbilt's women's bowling team did bring home a national title in 2007. However, everyone knows the main reason the school has hung on so long in the SEC is the academic value of being the most highly regarded institution of higher learning in the 12-school league.

In this new era of college football, it's time to get serious and Vanderbilt simply doesn't belong nor can it ever hang with the rest of the SEC. If Vanderbilt loses by 15 points or 50, we simply shrug our shoulders and say, "Well, same old Vandy."

Remember the old joke about the public address announcer from years ago who said at halftime: "Will the lady who left her 11 kids at Dudley Field please pick them up -- they're beating Vanderbilt 14-0."

I don't think ESPN and CBS are paying billions of dollars for this. If the Big Ten can improve by adding Nebraska and other leagues are on the prowl, why can't the SEC dump Vandy and find someone more competitive?

Oh, you say, Vanderbilt went to a bowl game in 2008 for the first time in 26 years. What good did it do them? They didn't even win a conference game the next year and now they have Larry the Cable guy coaching.

What's really embarrassing is that when a blue-chip SEC school plays in Vanderbilt's 39,790-seat stadium, the road team always has more fans than the home team. Alabama has more fans outside the stadium tailgating during a game than Vandy has in the joint.

At least Vandy officials could have been smart about this season. Instead of giving the job to Caldwell, they could have had tryouts like "American Idol" and let a different contestant coach each week. After the season, the person who did the best job would get the job for the 2011 season. Nothing draws a crowd these days like a good, cheesy, low-rent reality show.

On the other hand, imagine the excitement the school could have created if it had huddled for a couple of days then brought in a Mike Leach or a Phil Fulmer to coach this season. Perhaps that would have created real drama rather than a bunch of corn-pone jokes that are now the football program's calling card.

So enough already. Let me be the first to make a motion for the SEC to begin proceedings to dump Vanderbilt. Would anyone like to second the motion?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom