5 years old too old for buying used gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

togatown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm seriously considering buying a regulator/octo set-up for travel. Since it may be the single most important piece of underwater gear, I wanted to hear some opinions or concerns ( if any), about buying a set-up that is up to 5 years old, albeit lightly used and regularly serviced.

Thanks!

Just because I'm paranoid/ cautious I would take them in for a full service at a reputable shop to have them checked or rebuilt....

all my regulators are 30+ years old except for a set of Hollis. I would not trade them for any of the new eye candy regs on todays market...

I don't own a regulator LESS than 5 years old, and the newest is the one I'd eliminate if I were cutting down my collection. I'm often down in the mud, stirring up sediment to zero vis while sampling for work. Think fine particles getting everywhere.

Model quality is more important than age. Get it checked out and you will be fine.

Brand, condition, and are you getting a good enough deal to account for lack of warranty and shop suppor?

If you are happy with all those answers, go for it!

I am diving a brand new first stage on ‘76 and ‘82 second stages. I only replaced the ‘74 first stage because it weighed a boat anchor. As others have already said, if the gear has been maintained, five years is nothing.

Wow, I appreciate all of the prompt replies! Yes definitely the first order of business would be taking it to a reputable shop for service.

Thanks again gang, I will shop with much more confidence now.

I think Caveeagle stated the most important bit of info, that being that if you are getting a good enough deal on it as it is without warranty. If paying close to new, may as well just buy new. Make sure you are happy with what you are paying for it.....best of luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom