5 years old too old for buying used gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I buy used regulators I figure $50 per stage for a service. INCLUDING that price the whole package should be 40% (or more) less then MSRP. If I can save a few hundred dollars (after a full service) then it's worth it for me to buy used... I've saved hundreds on regulators by purchasing them used...
I think $50 per stage is not enough if your calculation includes dropping them off for service. Service kits alone can run around $30-35 per stage. I would calculate $200 to service 1st, two 2nds, and gauges. That is assuming you are not doing it yourself.

Picking up a pair of xl jets with springs tomorrow for $20cad to replace the larges that I left as a tip for my dm last week.
That pair cost me $10 but were a little small for me.
I think that's less than the sales tax on a new pair.

As people have been mentioning maintenance, i also suggest learning to repair/service anything on your own with practice enough to have confidence, is the surest way not to ruin a dive trip, since you might not be able to get it serviced where ever you traveled to. This is my goal, not where i am yet, myself.

My next step as well.
So many stories of poor service told here on SB. I would loose it if my freshly serviced regs were incomplete as in the story in this thread.
BTW, how often should I open up a perfectly operating Apeks reg set assuming ideal storage conditions?

Cheers, Kevin

BTW, how often should I open up a perfectly operating Apeks reg set assuming ideal storage conditions?

Hi Kevin, you will receive all sorts of advice on the proper time frame so please don't take what I am about to say as gospel. I usually follow the "if it's working perfectly, dont 'fix' it" line of thought. If you are getting a wonky IP or see signs of corrosion on the HP filter, by all means open it up. I have a ScubaPro MK5/109 that was last serviced 10 years ago. It still works perfectly, holds the proper IP, and has no outward signs of corrosion. I opened it up the other day just because I figured the 10-year old o-rings should be replaced regardless. They actually looked fine but I did a major overhaul anyway. I'm not advocating 10 year service intervals by any means. It's just that most regs can go several years between overhauls as long as they are working fine and look ok. I anticipate I will get argument from the annual preventive overhaul crowd and there is nothing wrong with an annual overhaul regardless of how much your reg is used. Everyone has their acceptable risk tollerance. My 2psi. Mark

I don't think I have a single piece of gear younger than 5 years (except wetsuits) and some of it is decades old and still functioning.

I don't think I have a single piece of gear younger than 5 years (except wetsuits) and some of it is decades old and still functioning.

The reg I bought new in 1972 is my son's pony reg. It works and breathes just fine.

I bought two TX50s, a TX40 and 2 DSTs from a guy quitting tech. They are roughly 15 years old I think.

They are great and I got them for pretty much the cost of bringing them to my LDS for service. I'll probably try to DIY it the next time they need a rebuild.

So if they were a quality set and the price was right five years old I wouldn't hesitate

My regulator is roughly 5-6 years old, works like charm.

As the technician around here explained to me, once you get it properly serviced on the inside its like brand new.

I even considered upgrading only to realize there isn't really a reason to do that.

Of the more than 40 regulators that I currently own, only one, an Argonaut Kraken [double hose at that] was made in this century. Five years or older is not of great importance provided the following: 1) the regulator you purchase is of a design and from a manufacturer that is recognized as an industry leader and replacement parts are available. This means don't buy a forty year old GSD Spinnaker and expect to find the parts to restore it and keep it operational, better to purchase a fifty year old US Divers Conshelf or a similarly vintage Voit MR-12, or ScubaPro MkV/R109, as maintenance parts are available; 2) you either are competent to rebuild your own gear, or have access to a competent technician or LDS willing to work on vintage gear; and 3) you can stand the occasional Scuba Police criticism or Scuba Rock Star adoration as the uninitiated see you using your old gear. [Ok, the Scuba Rock Star stuff I just made up].

When I buy used regulators I figure $50 per stage for a service. INCLUDING that price the whole package should be 40% (or more) less then MSRP. If I can save a few hundred dollars (after a full service) then it's worth it for me to buy used... I've saved hundreds on regulators by purchasing them used...
I guess I should buy my service tech a case of beer. First+2 seconds is about 70€, with parts.
Since I'm doing my own service now it's 30€ for parts. And I am definitely buying myself some beer.

Back
Top Bottom