5 years old too old for buying used gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well said! Helps at home too, not just in the field. Regulators and tank valves/manifolds are not rocket science. There is a learning curve but once you get it, you get it. I don't feel too bad about cheating dive shops out of a service fee either.:) It hit home for me when I got my reg back from service at a local dive shop. Took it on a trip to Catalina, put it on my tank, hit the purge button, air came out and all seemed good. (My bad for not taking a breath off it first.) Jumped in the water and was a few feet down when I took my first breath and inhaled nothing but water. The "experts" at the dive shop had left the 2nd stage main diaphragm out. With one exception I never let anyone work on my regs again but me.

My 2psi, Mark.
That is beyond just an oversite, beyond even just sloppy. At the very least, there is no way they checked the final cracking effort adjustment once assembled, so there could have been multiple steps skipped.

That is beyond just an oversite, beyond even just sloppy. At the very least, there is no way they checked the final cracking effort adjustment once assembled, so there could have been multiple steps skipped.

Agreed. That shop went out of business soon thereafter. I wonder if my letters to the BBB, Reg manufacturer, National certifying agency they operated under, Consumer Product Safety Commission, the shop's insurance carrier and a few other well placed recipients with fancy acronyms had anything to do with that? I am lucky to have survived that little experience. It could have had a far different ending. M

I must again thank the community for all of the great input and advice! The more research I do on the cost of used set-ups and getting them serviced before diving, the more I am now leaning on just purchasing new gear, since it would seem that a good regulator and octo set-up, can be had new for under $ 500, and would suit me for several years.
It also depends on the initial price and how well cared for they were.
Determining if they need a full rebuild takes about 10 minutes for a qualified tech. If they take their time.
If the reg has been well cared for it may not need a rebuild.

I must again thank the community for all of the great input and advice! The more research I do on the cost of used set-ups and getting them serviced before diving, the more I am now leaning on just purchasing new gear, since it would seem that a good regulator and octo set-up, can be had new for under $ 500, and would suit me for several years.

Most of my regs are from the early 1980s. I usually end up putting around $300 into a new reg set. $100 for the used 1st and pair of 2nds, $70 in service kits, $50 for a new SPG, and $80 in new hoses. In some cases another $40 for the DIN conversion.

I've gotten two Mares Abyss regs at the Tom's River flea market. For one of them, I paid $40. With an octo and SPG, no less. The service kits were $50 and the new HP seat something like $30. It works just as well as the two I bought new, or the other one I got used. "Used" does not necessarily mean "less reliable" or "more expensive in the long run than new" or even "nearly the same cost as new when rebuild is factored in." There's some risk, mostly in that someone ham-handed tech could have hurt the 1st stage body in a permanent way, but everything inside is replaceable and most of the bits and pieces don't really cost all that much.

I've also gotten a couple of used Oceanic Alphas (my go-to deco regs), a Sherwood Brut, and my niece's reg (I forget what it is) used. All have been fine.

If you are paying a shop to do the service, the economics do change a bit, of course. But high-end regs at very reasonable prices are a good risk. Add the shop rate to my Abyss above and the new parts and you would still be way ahead. Leisure Pro has them today for $669.95: mares abyss 52 buy at LeisurePro

Agreed. That shop went out of business soon thereafter. I wonder if my letters to the BBB, Reg manufacturer, National certifying agency they operated under, Consumer Product Safety Commission, the shop's insurance carrier and a few other well placed recipients with fancy acronyms had anything to do with that? I am lucky to have survived that little experience. It could have had a far different ending. M
You for
This illustrates the importance of pre-dive checks doesn’t it?

Regulators haven't improved enough over 40 yrs to justify age as the determinating factor in a reg purchase.
Vintage SP sets are timeless with a rebuild and a new set of hoses. Solid brass and chrome or classic plastic.
Apeks was my pick, but 4 and 5 generations old.
Used luxury sporting goods with a tiny market are worth little unless they are practically new, top quality and then maybe 25% of retail.
Add in the myth that a tech has to recertify regs safe or you'll die and a set that is a scary 10 yrs old and needs hoses and it's more like 10% in my limited experience.

I thought we as a group were going to tell everyone that they need "NEW" regulators to keep the Good old stuff cheap... The prices have been climbing and keep climbing on the used market. I remember get a complete Conshelf xii set for $50-$75 bucks and they looked like new...

Jim..

When I buy used regulators I figure $50 per stage for a service. INCLUDING that price the whole package should be 40% (or more) less then MSRP. If I can save a few hundred dollars (after a full service) then it's worth it for me to buy used... I've saved hundreds on regulators by purchasing them used...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom